Commercial licenses.

R

Robenga

Should the owners of all these different commercial fishing licenses be allowed to lease them out for others to fish? if they are not actively using them themselves? They turn enormous profits from doing this. Maybe they should give them back to the government if they aren't using them themselves? Could be a nice new law. These licenses have become "Golden Tickets". Jimmy Pattison is like Willy Wonka........Seems the sporties keep getting smaller limits and time slots. Sportfishing would pump much more into the economy if limits on fish were higher. It's ridiculous.

Commercial kills.

Commercial kills.

quote:Originally posted by Robenga

Should the owners of all these different commercial fishing licenses be allowed to lease them out for others to fish? if they are not actively using them themselves? They turn enormous profits from doing this. Maybe they should give them back to the government if they aren't using them themselves? Could be a nice new law. These licenses have become "Golden Tickets". Jimmy Pattison is like Willy Wonka........Seems the sporties keep getting smaller limits and time slots. Sportfishing would pump much more into the economy if limits on fish were higher. It's ridiculous.

Commercial kills.

Commercial kills.
Everybody's limits are being reduced proportionaly.
And your right Commercial kills. commercial sports is in the same category.

IF YOU THINK THE COMMERCIAL GUYS SHOULD GET THERE LIMITS REDUCED HOW ABOUT PUTTING THE LODGES ON A QUOTA SYSTEM THAT THE ARE ALLOWED ONLY SO MANY SPRINGS AND COHO. YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT TO DIFFERENT THING THE COMMERCIAL GUYS AREN'T ALLOWED TO TARGET SPRING AND COHO. WHAT INDUSTRY THINK BUILT THIS COAST.

quote:Originally posted by spring time

IF YOU THINK THE COMMERCIAL GUYS SHOULD GET THERE LIMITS REDUCED HOW ABOUT PUTTING THE LODGES ON A QUOTA SYSTEM THAT THE ARE ALLOWED ONLY SO MANY SPRINGS AND COHO. YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT TO DIFFERENT THING THE COMMERCIAL GUYS AREN'T ALLOWED TO TARGET SPRING AND COHO. WHAT INDUSTRY THINK BUILT THIS COAST.
I fully agree with you. We should be moving away from costly fly overs and poor accounting and move to a tag system. if you don't have the tag you don't catch the fish. The tags could then be split between the commercial sports sector and independant angler however they see fit.
T

the tag sounds like a good idea.not only would it make it easier to get our catch numbers and it would also make it practical to separate the lodge and charter operatirs which took 69% of the recreational halibut catch in 2008 and then they are the ones (SFAB and SFI) screaming bloody murder when the season was closed because we had gone so far over our allowable catch.The comercial fleet left some fish inthe water but as they are allowed to carry over ten percent to be taken next year , the 850,000 lbs. the charter operations are saying is left in the water for conservation is really more like 20,000 lbs. If we had to buy a tag for each fish and were limited to a reasonable number and they were numbered and traceable like the commercial caught and tagged halibut I have bought in the past, then we could have more control on all under the table sales of our resource.I know two guys in the PG area ,each with 100,000 $ boats they paid for by selling their catch and now they make more than they ever did with these hi tech fishing machines, selling everything they catch.As long as the commercial guys are staying within their limits,we should be managed in such a way as to stay within ours before we start managing theirs. They are willing to sell or rent their holdings to us to help from what I have read. It's time for more respect for the resource so there will be fish for the generations to come.Halibut has been brought back from near extinction by the IPHC and is the world's best success story for a saved species.let's not demand to get the most we can at the expense of the fish.

first of all goldfish those two should be reported to dfo (report a poacher). the commercial guys have accountability they have video cameras on all angles of the boat. so when the hydralics are engaged the cameras turn on(same as the crab fleet as well). there has to be some accountability in the sports fishing as well. make it like hunting licenses or something.

Bring on tag system or hey even better a annual limit then the sport guys who go out every tide they get and keep all the butts they get like I have said before its not the charters guys yes we take people out with there OWN fishing lic. and they go home with maybe 1 or 2 fish thats it they dont come nack for the whole season!!!!!!

Ill use the vic area as that where I used to fish I would head out there is maybe 5 to 8 charter guys that accually fish them on a tide btw for the month of april and may there is only 23 days in 60 you can accually fish!!!!!!!

Go out to constance and look at west and east constance there is about 30 to 50 boats there and maybe 3 charters and yet you want to blame us !!!!!!cmon give me a break I know of several "sporties" that catch mayn many more fish then there allowed, like the story I told you about the guy who chatted to me on the ferry in nov.he was bragging that him and his buddy for the whole summer took over 70 halibut and 3 of his biggest ever over 80 lbs when I asked him how much he really needed he looked so dumbfounded.

Really if you need more than 10 halibut in a year your giving too much away and thats what its not about . its called "PERSONAL LIMIT" not give Tom ,Dick Harry,Fred your fish if you want to thats your priority but dont keep going back to supply the whole neighborhood.

You have a "PERSONAL LIMIT" for a reason

Wolf

that's what I was kind of thinking. those guys that catch alot of fish are in it for bragging rights. there are the ones that will ruin this salmon and halibut fishery that's why there has to be more accountability on all sectors (sports commercial and native and yes I said native).

Yes,a personal annual limit would help but we have to come up with a way to make people stick to it.I have told the fisheries over and over with nothing more than a thank you.There are no more fisheries officers to do anything and the problem will get worse with more people out of work.If they own a boat and live near the ocean,no work means more time to fish and smuggle it home to sell cheap to a growing number of people with less to spend on food. Barter is the advise of the financial experts going into tough times and I think we have to come up with a better way to protect the fish.I hate more rules but hunting seems to stay alive with stricter rules

quote:Originally posted by goldfish

Yes,a personal annual limit would help but we have to come up with a way to make people stick to it.I have told the fisheries over and over with nothing more than a thank you.There are no more fisheries officers to do anything and the problem will get worse with more people out of work.If they own a boat and live near the ocean,no work means more time to fish and smuggle it home to sell cheap to a growing number of people with less to spend on food. Barter is the advise of the financial experts going into tough times and I think we have to come up with a better way to protect the fish.I hate more rules but hunting seems to stay alive with stricter rules
Agreed. And when all the hunting tags are used the season is done. Exactly what should happen in fishing. right now it is a guess as to how much fish is removed. We need real numbers so real decisions can be made. Issue a tag and back it up with a big fine. Most people get the idea after a few examples are made.

Back