Commercial fisherman blocking Sportsfisherman at the ramp

Sculpin

I didn't want to taint the good times halibut thread so I thought another thread should be started regarding this disturbing encounter.

What exactly happened? Really blocking a boat ramp? This is total BS and needs to get in the news IMHO.

I didn't want to taint the good times halibut thread so I thought another thread should be started regarding this disturbing encounter.

What exactly happened? Really blocking a boat ramp? This is total BS and needs to get in the news IMHO.

where did this happen? I saw the news on Lunney's office but it said nothing else.

Why not get the facts before bad mouthing our friends and brothers.

I didn't know this site was "paid per view"! LOL (hence fish4all's instant reply).

Last edited by a moderator:
what bull shyte.

[08zaTXVEgFs] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=08zaTXVEgFs

I've never screwed with their longlines but might teach them that they have more to lose than us!

This is only the start of more cuts to come to the commercial fleet. To see these actions and threats only show's the Canadian Public who these Quota holders are, Halibut are not owned by anybody before caught...And for the guy that has to lease I am not knocking you.

This is a tactical error to start a fight with sporties. Should be interesting to see what happens in the next while.

This is a tactical error to start a fight with sporties. Should be interesting to see what happens in the next while.

I think it is a tactical blunder that alot of commercial fisherman did not back. It is a few bad apples that did this IMHO. It makes their whole organization look bad however.

You should see the size of these blocks, you would need a crane truck to move them. The Oak Bay crew could not move them and they had to be dragged off the ramp. Seems like a lot of work for what ? There are alot more people using that ramp than just to go fishing.

You should see the size of these blocks, you would need a crane truck to move them. The Oak Bay crew could not move them and they had to be dragged off the ramp. Seems like a lot of work for what ? There are alot more people using that ramp than just to go fishing.

So what is the low down?. Please describe the whole situation at the ramp. What was written on the blocks?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't confess to an indepth knowledge of the fishery, so take my comments with a grain (or 3) of salt ....

Halibut are a public resource - no?

No one "owns" the fish until they are caught - no?

This is a finite resource - ie. one that is exhaustable - no?

In my opinion, the use that brings the most money to BC (and Canada, in turn) is the best allocation - no?

Commercial fisherman deserve to make a living - that's for sure. Just like the rest of us.

The way that halibut is currently allocated, with "slipper skippers" owning quota but never actually fishing, seems suspect at best. How can they own something that isn't really theirs?

At the end of the day, the sportsfishing industry (and all of the spin-off money that is spent) is easily the best way to stimulate an economy dependent on fishing.

If commercial fisherman had to catch fish the way sporties do, just think of the cost in, say, Jimmy Pattison's stores?

$50/lb? More?

Anyway, my $0.02 .....

From both a political and a P.R. point of view, about the dumbest move they could make. Everyone knows a sport fisherman and that's where public sympathies will lie. This now brings the media spotlight to a situation that has been on the down-low: governments gave away public resources to benefit a very few commercial interests. So now 85% commercial /15 recreational and they complain? To the public eye they just look greedy.

I love how that one guy says "we've given the sports sector enough already" He actually thinks he owns it and is nice enough to GIVE it back, what a crock of $hit! Keep up the fight, these guys are worried about whats going to happen and are trying to figure out what to do.

I agree, not the brightest of moves.
But you can't argue this, they are organized, they hatched a plan, they executed - and BOOM they're on the 6-o'clock NEWS!

Good on Lunny for digging-in.

Be keeping an eye on this one...

this is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread - don't spit in the face of the politicians, you'll just make enemies. You think Lunney is going to go to bat for commercial fishermen after this? No chance, if he was on the fence you can bet he's leaning sporty now.

But for gods sake somebody needs to inform the media, how they can run a piece about halibut allocation and not cover the actual numbers involved is beyond me. Whoever is speaking with the media on behalf of the sporties needs to be driving those numbers home at EVERY single chance.

Back