Coming Back Full Circle

treblig

I started life angling with gear . Then I became a purist fly angler for our steelheads , salmons and trouts for decades . Then the last 20 years ultra lite long rod gear beach fishing for salmon off our British Columbia beaches.

Amundson Outdoors has sent me their 14 foot 3 inch 9 wt Spey rod to challenge our salmon on the Nanaimo River.

Stay tune as I learn the skills to catch these monsters . I will be using the rod for salmon only on the Nanaimo River. Not sure how to set up all the proper lines. Running line, float line, sink tips . If I understand correctly its the Skagit max for beginners and able to throw large or heavy flies. I think though I need a sinking head and running line .

Anybody have suggestions

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 5.40.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 5.40.15 PM.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 5.40.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 5.40.52 PM.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 7
A full circle would be going back to gear based on your timeline. ;)

That aside, I think trying new things is a good thing. Spey casting can be done with adaptations of course, on a single 5 weight. Don't get hung up on the myriad of 'purist' soap boxing going on in the millennial fly fishing world.

Good Point as I will be also using the ultra lite gear for new prototype lures from AP Tackleworks from Victoria and Olympic Tackle from USA this fall

Back