Cleaning gear.

Chuck

Need to get a better handle on cleaning the gear after a day on the water. Not always easy to get fresh warm water when staying on the boat for a few days and cold fresh water doesn't seem to do the trick either.

Use saltaway or just use cold fresh water till gear can be washed properly in warm fresh water??

Any tips or how too's appreciated??

Chuck,

You talking about rod and reel or lures, rod and reel will be fine for a couple days until you can wash properly and lures if dried off good should be fine for a couple days then as Discus said wash with dish soap and fresh water when you get home.

You talking about rod and reel or lures, rod and reel will be fine for a couple days until you can wash properly and lures if dried off good should be fine for a couple days then as Discus said wash with dish soap and fresh water when you get home.

Yes all gear, rods, reels, lures, flashers.

Was thinking of using a 5 gal pail in the boat filled with soap and water. Give lures and flashers a rinse. Would be cold water though so might not work very well?

I have a juice jug that I stole from the wife. Has a lid and is tall enough to fit flashers and the days gear in, just some dish soap and freshwater and let it sit in the sun warms it enough. Had a pail but it kept slopping around.

For people with inboards who already have a cabin heater plumbed in, I've wondered about rigging up a small manual hot water tank just for washing.

I carry a 4L milk jug full of freshwater and when I change gear, I put the used gear in a 5 gallon bucket, give it a quick rinse of fresh water from the jug, and then give it a good wash when I get home. I find if the gear stays wet, it doesn't really matter if there is a bit of salt on it still. Rinse it, let it sit in the bucket, and then a good wash with hot water and a touch of soap when i get home. My fishing buddy tells me my gear looks like it was never used. Either the washing thing works or I don't fish enough. The jury's out on that one.

I carry a 4L milk jug full of freshwater and when I change gear, I put the used gear in a 5 gallon bucket, give it a quick rinse of fresh water from the jug, and then give it a good wash when I get home. I find if the gear stays wet, it doesn't really matter if there is a bit of salt on it still. Rinse it, let it sit in the bucket, and then a good wash with hot water and a touch of soap when i get home. My fishing buddy tells me my gear looks like it was never used. Either the washing thing works or I don't fish enough. The jury's out on that one.

Haha... well FM, I'm the same cept my gear is all dirty!!

i generally gather all the used gear from the trip , spray both end swivels lightly with wd40 and with a cloth dampened with wd40 wipe off both sides . they look new . works good on spoons as well . the wd smell does not seem repeal fish . just my 2c .

We have been using a 12" interior height container for years.
They are OXO brand and look sort of like these https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/oxo-canister-43-qt/6000017249973

Prior to a day trip simply half fill it with fresh water. Toss used gear, put lid on, give it a shake, then either leave in or take out to dry.
Works perfectly.
For multi day trips, just repeat the process.

We just fill up a bucket with a lid in the morning with fresh water and put some Lemon Joy in it. As we change out gear we throw it in the bucket. Usually, at the end of the day it just takes a quick rinse with fresh water and you're done. Works great for us.

We just fill up a bucket with a lid in the morning with fresh water and put some Lemon Joy in it. As we change out gear we throw it in the bucket. Usually, at the end of the day it just takes a quick rinse with fresh water and you're done. Works great for us.

Perfect! Effective and simply..

Thanks for the posts.

Yep! And when I forget to bring the water and lemon joy, I still throw gear into this container and clean them at home.

Keeps things off the deck and cuts down on having a giant, salty tangled mess in my tackle box.

Yep! And when I forget to bring the water and lemon joy, I still throw gear into this container and clean them at home.

Keeps things off the deck and cuts down on having a giant, salty tangled mess in my tackle box.

Ill be adopting your cleaning technique.

Back