Chum Daily Limit Change

Derby

Crew Member
Subject: FN1259-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Region 1: Vancouver Island River Systems - Chum Daily Limit Change

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Subject: FN1259-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Region 1: Vancouver Island River Systems - Chum Daily Limit Change
Strong chum returns have been observed in numerous Vancouver Island river
systems recently. These large returns will or have surpassed escapement goals.
Effective immediately until December 31, 2016 the daily limit of chum is four
(4) per day in the open portions of the following Region 1 rivers:
Cowichan River:
That portion of the Cowichan River from the 66 Mile Trestle downstream to the
Highway No. 1 Bridge (Silver Bridge).
Nanaimo River:
That portion of the Nanaimo River from the upstream side of the Cedar Road
Bridge, upstream to the end of Boswell Rd. (commonly known as “Firehall Pool”).
Nitinat River:
Those portions of the Nitinat River located downstream of Parker Creek and from
50 m upstream to 50 m downstream of the Nitinat River Bridge.
Puntledge River:
All areas open to fishing.
Qualicum River:
That portion of the Qualicum River upstream of the Big Qualicum Hatchery, those
waters between the pool above the upper weir (located approx. 75 meters
downstream of the E&N bridge to the Horne Lake Dam), and those waters
downstream of the Highway 19A bridge.
Little Qualicum River:
All areas open to fishing.
Variation Order No. 2016-510 and 2016-511
Notes:
Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336 or the British Columbia’s toll-free RAPP line (Report All
Poachers and Polluters) at 1-877-952-RAPP (7277).
For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-(866)431-FISH (3474)
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office or visit our website at
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.
Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN1259
Sent November 7, 2016 at 11:01
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription
If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jeez, why do we allow this to happen? Chums are so important to ecosystems, from gulls to dippers to eagles; resident cutthroat, whitefish, sculpins; bears, etc, etc . The nutrients added to small watersheds are vitally important for invertebrate populations that feed juvenile steelhead and coho and, chums are marvelous gravel cleaners for future spawning salmonids.
When are we going to learn these fish are more important to the river than in some angler's freezer? Let these fish spawn ...

Over capacity is not good for the system either.. a system can only handle so many fish.......nothing wrong if there is a surplus and if a person chose to take some home....

Over capacity is not good for the system either.. a system can only handle so many fish.......nothing wrong if there is a surplus and if a person chose to take some home....
I can't remember when too many chums were a problem and overloaded a system. Can you?
Chums are great eating fish when harvested close to estuaries or in salt water, no argument from me on that. My issue is most chums in freshwater are past good table fare and are harvested by many anglers who, how should I word this ... lack angling ethics and have no respect for the fish.

Again; these fish are keys to coastal ecosystems, anglers should be happy to watch them, not kill them.

4 per day isn't much compared to all the gill netters and seine boats. I heard on the cbc yesterday that one of the openings saw 800,000 chums netted, I can't remember if they said north island or mid island.

I can't remember when too many chums were a problem and overloaded a system. Can you?
Chums are great eating fish when harvested close to estuaries or in salt water, no argument from me on that. My issue is most chums in freshwater are past good table fare and are harvested by many anglers who, how should I word this ... lack angling ethics and have no respect for the fish.

Again; these fish are keys to coastal ecosystems, anglers should be happy to watch them, not kill them

Dave I'm not going to get into with u..but just because u can harvest 4 doesn't mean u have too..perhaps u should look into salmon a little more then u would under stand why to many fish on the spawning beds is not always a good thing

You are missing the point. Perhaps sporties should think higher; most of know the value of these fish to watersheds, so why, just because they are harvested by commercial fishermen and FN, should anglers feel entitled to kill them also? At some point some user groups have to be accountable and the non killing of close to spawning chums seems a no brainer to a fish advocate like me.

Two weeks ago, I spent a morning wallowing in Rosewall creek with a bunch of other old fart volunteers trying to net Chums for a brood-take for our hatchery. I can assure you that while we were able to get some fish that were viable for hatchery purposes, the vast majority of them were well past their 'sell by' dates. For those of you who are into cadavery fishing - fill your boots.

Nutrients to the watershed, fish spawning in tribs and creeks they haven't used in a lot of years.
The huge return this year we have Chum returning to places we have never seen them. Guess repopulating those streams is a bad thing?
Too bad a lot of our endangered Coho were taken in the these commercial nets this year.

Last edited:
The chum fishery is a great opportunity for novices and those that lack the skill level to catch a fish otherwise. They buy licences, buy and break gear, keep shops open etc. I do agree it is disrespectful to floss for any species while they are on their redds, including steelhead and trout.

I don't know why so many keep those half rotten sunken bellied bucks? Fertilizer, leather? There's a few people that cherish the ripe roe.

The sports chum fishery is one of the best fisheries in the lower mainland to get new people involved in fishing.
One of my favorites as well!!

Nutrients to the watershed, fish spawning in tribs and creeks they haven't used in a lot of years.
The huge return this year we have Chum returning to places we have never seen them. Guess repopulating those streams is a bad thing?
Too bad a lot of our endangered Coho were taken in the these commercial nets this year.

Of course it a great thing... there is a very very large surplus every where so the above will and is happening... if u notice what system are open to 4 per day? they are the hatchery system, at this point theses are at or over there systems carrying capacity ..... thus a surplus... I don't see a problem but encourage people to go and enjoy a surplus fishery in these hatchery system..we don't see a lot of them and it is a fun fishery to some but not all....

Of course it a great thing... there is a very very large surplus every where so the above will and is happening... if u notice what system are open to 4 per day? they are the hatchery system, at this point theses are at or over there systems carrying capacity ..... thus a surplus... I don't see a problem but encourage people to go and enjoy a surplus fishery in these hatchery system..we don't see a lot of them and it is a fun fishery to some but not all....

So you are saying these rivers will be inundated with chums and are above their carrying capacity? Please defend that statement. Considering all chums really need is suitable gravel, optimum water temperatures with suitable DO, a stable over winter flow, and a estuary that is working, please tell me how any system could be overextended.

Back