Chip Wilson's enormous dock proposal angers neighbours

What's everyone's thoughts on this? We ran into some problems getting approval on our dock in Saanich Inlet, but this I doubt it was anywhere near this size. Case of NIMBYism or overkill by Wilson?

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/lululemon-founder-chip-wilsons-enormous-012521945.html

This shouldn't be that surprising at all. This is the same guy that wanted to kick in 10M for the city to essentially pave Vancouvers only remaining 'relatively' untouched stretched of beach. The run from Kits pool to Jericho, the part in front of his house - one of the most expensive houses in Canada. He wanted a bike path. The neighborhood showed up at a city council meeting and every person, and I mean every person shot the idea down.

Then, magically Point Grey road was shut down W of MacDonald, re routing 10s of thousands of cars per day. This dock seems easy.

Major considerations would be does it interfere with navigation?Does it interfere with peoples access to and use of the beach? Is it environmentally acceptable? Does it impact the neighbours ability to enjoy their property?

I find a lot of waterfront owners are under the misconception the foreshore is an extension of their property ,its not! However if you got the cash it seems you can do what you want.

Ya......Chip and his 'Mayoral' crush/servant Moonbeam have really worked a wonder in this city. The closing of Pt. Grey Road is ridiculous.....you should see the volume on 4th and specifically at 4th and McDonald during rush hour; it's crazy busy. Here are a few things about he and Gregor...

• Chip couldn't get a seawall in front of his house....so he pushed Gregor in all the bike lane/road closure reform to close his street. Believe me....I also know people that live along that stretch and it was FAR from an overwhelming majority who were on board.
  • Oddly enough....in all the bike lane reform on the west side/Kits area....Gregor sold his house and moved to about 2nd and Stephens. COINCIDENTALLY there were all of a sudden designated bike routes running north/south and east/west RIGHT to his house.
  • I certainly find it interesting that Lulu HQ moves to the top of my street and then we have all sorts of new bike lanes/routes and notable traffic changes happen all around the beloved "HQ". Add to that, all his beloved plebes don't even cycle...they don't have room in their parking lot for all the vehicles so the plebes/minions all park on Kits Point. (long ongoing battle with Lulu to which I am quarterbacking for our resident's association)
  • Anyone questions the "love in".....Chip throws a 50th b-day for his wife at which Red Hot Chili Pepper's play....and invites the 'who's who' in Vancouver. My in-laws were there and Gregor was right there at Chip's side....as a "yes man, we CAN do this together". :rolleyes:
  • All of these lovely changes have gone on and Moonbeam claims that there was "proper public consultation".......YAAAAA.....right. Dry that one out you can fertilize the lawn. When the changed the entire south side of Burrard Bridge and the Cornwall/Cypress area....there was sweet f*** all for "consultation". Meetings were called that very few knew about and then if the word spread....nobody from the city would show up.

Okay....back to Chipper.

I think this dock/breakwater/marina is appalling and lacks a MASSIVE amount of respect for his neighbors. There are ways to do a dock somewhat tastefully.....as opposed to taking up an entire bay as is evidenced up and down coast.

Just give it a while...soon Malaspina Strait will be his own private nautical thoroughfare closed to anyone who doesn't have property along it. :rolleyes: ;)

This is the what some may say is "cultish' creed by which he.....and his plebes follow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmark_Worldwide

I guess some of the points covered by Landmark ARE in Chip's motto and MAYBE he is not living by some as described below..... "In fact, at Lululemon, everything about you is inventoried and measured in terms of "authenticity" and "integrity."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-licorish/lululemon-cult-culture_b_3690378.html

Just Google
Landmark Chip Wilson Lululemon
You'll kinda see in some ways where the arrogance comes from. (not saying ALL about is arrogant as I am just going by what I read)

I am going to refrain from going on a rant about him.....he and Gregor have been a sore in my side since all this bike lane reform began and has made it a royal pain getting to and from my house down on Kits Point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya......Chip and his 'Mayoral' crush/servant Moonbeam have really worked a wonder in this city. The closing of Pt. Grey Road is ridiculous.....you should see the volume on 4th and specifically at 4th and McDonald during rush hour; it's crazy busy. Here are a few things about he and Gregor...

• Chip couldn't get a seawall in front of his house....so he pushed Gregor in all the bike lane/road closure reform to close his street. Believe me....I also know people that live along that stretch and it was FAR from an overwhelming majority who were on board.
  • Oddly enough....in all the bike lane reform on the west side/Kits area....Gregor sold his house and moved to about 2nd and Stephens. COINCIDENTALLY there were all of a sudden designated bike routes running north/south and east/west RIGHT to his house.
  • I certainly find it interesting that Lulu HQ moves to the top of my street and then we have all sorts of new bike lanes/routes and notable traffic changes happen all around the beloved "HQ". Add to that, all his beloved plebes don't even cycle...they don't have room in their parking lot for all the vehicles so the plebes/minions all park on Kits Point. (long ongoing battle with Lulu to which I am quarterbacking for our resident's association)
  • Anyone questions the "love in".....Chip throws a 50th b-day for his wife at which Red Hot Chili Pepper's play....and invites the 'who's who' in Vancouver. My in-laws were there and Gregor was right there at Chip's side....as a "yes man, we CAN do this together". :rolleyes:
  • All of these lovely changes have gone on and Moonbeam claims that there was "proper public consultation".......YAAAAA.....right. Dry that one out you can fertilize the lawn. When the changed the entire south side of Burrard Bridge and the Cornwall/Cypress area....there was sweet f*** all for "consultation". Meetings were called that very few knew about and then if the word spread....nobody from the city would show up.

Okay....back to Chipper.

I think this dock/breakwater/marina is appalling and lacks a MASSIVE amount of respect for his neighbors. There are ways to do a dock somewhat tastefully.....as opposed to taking up an entire bay as is evidenced up and down coast.

Just give it a while...soon Malaspina Strait will be his own private nautical thoroughfare closed to anyone who doesn't have property along it. :rolleyes: ;)

This is the what some may say is "cultish' creed by which he.....and his plebes follow.

Didn't moonbeam just get reelected?
Sounds like you feel about as happy about that fact as I am about the continual reelection of Harper and Christy crunch.

Chip Wilson begins building huge dock after 2-year fight with neighbours
Lululemon billionaire's neighbours hope NDP government will review the construction project
By Rafferty Baker, CBC News Posted: Oct 07, 2017
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...on-sunshine-coast-dock-construction-1.4344678

"Hognestad and her neighbours were hoping the project would be stopped, but the B.C. Government's Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources gave Wilson and his wife, Shannon, the green light in March."

It's done unfortunately. If construction has started and got green light from province pretty tough to stop. Especially if there is only a small group of people.

"A statement from the ministry says the decision was made by statutory decision-makers, not politicians, and took into account consultation with First Nations and stakeholders."

That statement is something that is part of the the policy of the Ministry Environment and several departments. It is called the professional reliance model. What it does is uses so called independent consultants to perform the assessments. The province just reviews this with the limited staff they have. The problem is it doesn't work, and it been proven that many of these assessments can be biased especially if there is financial gain. What is hopeful is the NDP is currently reviewing the policy right now. But that could take some time before we see any change.

Last edited:
Back