Chinook fishery to close ???

scott craven

'Draconian' chinook cuts loom for anglers

Restrictions raise fears for future of southern Island sports fishing

BY JUDITH LAVOIE, TIMES COLONIST MARCH 17, 2012 6:20 AM

Fishermen in Greater Victoria are reeling after being told the Department of Fisheries and Oceans is looking at "draconian" restrictions on the summer chinook salmon fishery in Juan de Fuca Strait.
Members of the Victoria-South Island Sport Fishing Advisory Board and industry representatives, who took part in a conference call with DFO Friday, say plans to further restrict or even close the chinook fishery in the peak season of June, July and August could cause the collapse of the southern Vancouver Island sports fishing industry.
"Our backs are against the wall. Any more cuts will be the death of our fishery," said Martin Paish, general manager of Pedder Bay RV Resort and Marina.
The value of the chinook fishery in the areas from the mouth of the Fraser River, through Sidney to Jordan River, is millions of dollars, said Christopher Bos, chairman of the local Sport Fishing Advisory Board.
"The moment they start messing with the economic driver to the point that opportunity and expectation [of catching fish] are gone, they will destroy that economic driving force," he said.
The spinoff effect would take in fishing lodges, about 50 fishing charter operations, marinas, campgrounds, tackle shops and hotels, Paish said. "It would have a huge impact on Sooke and Metchosin. The sports fishery drives tourism in this area."
No one from DFO was available to talk about the proposals Friday, but Tom Cole, assistant chairman of the advisory board, said DFO representatives will be at a meeting Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Four Points Sheraton Hotel in Langford.
"We are expecting about 700 or 800 people at that meeting," Cole said.
The issue revolves around some Fraser River chinook runs with poor returns. Those chinook turn up in Juan de Fuca Strait in the summer at the same time as chinook from more abundant runs.
Two years ago, the recreational fishery, which takes only a fraction of the threatened stocks, agreed to catch limits in an effort to conserve those stocks, even though most chinook caught in the fishery come from the abundant runs, Paish said. The complicated rules now allow fishermen to take two chinook a day in the summer, with varying size constraints.
Instead of targeting sports fishermen, when further restrictions would have no effect on conservation of the stocks, DFO should be looking at the commercial or First Nations fisheries, which take many more fish, and its own allocation policy, said Bos and Paish.
Root causes are habitat loss and water extraction from the Fraser, but DFO has done little to address those problems and seems focused only on ratcheting down the sports fishery, Bos said.
"DFO has suddenly set its hair on fire and said they need more restrictions and they have put a bull'seye on our back," he said.
"We have already done our part to reduce the impact on these stocks."
jlavoie@timescolonist.com
© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

:eek:more:http://www.timescolonist.com/sports...loom+anglers/6318589/story.html#ixzz1pO4Dspqv

Not good news. Are they waiting till June to decide? Isn't this going to push more people to Renfrew or further up the west coast?

You think the reporter could have mentioned that is was a public meeting and anyone concerned is welcome.

700-800 people how do they think people being notified about this meeting. Not one fisherman I know even goes on these fishing internet boards.

screwed again,,can't dfo see who is catching all of the fish,,cut those commercial guys back for a few years then the fish will be back in big numbers,,easy fix,,come on you dfo f--kers,,figure it out,,what if we were to cut back on dfo employees and have a few less jobs,,it's just like that's what their going to do to the charter guys,,
way to go

It's the not-so-thin edge. We got tossed the little halibut bone, now this will be pay-back for the commies. The Harper Conservatives are bare-back b.j'ing all big businesses, from oil on down. So rec. fisherman will lose again here, unless we make a huge lot of noise - all of us voters with a cause. That's the only way to turn the tide - numbers and nasty attention. You well-connected people: get the media involved to get the recreational side of this story out. The rest of us can write, call, email, put it out on Facebook and Twitter and then show up on Wednesday. I'll round up a few bodies from mid-Island, even the pitiful few that don't fish. I'll get them good and riled up first - I'll say it's about the Feds putting more sin tax on their Lucky pops! ;)

It's not looking good boys!!! Check6 was down at the dock when I got in today and they wanted to talk about the chinook closure that's going to take place !! Omfg!! Bad to worse.

Anyways check 6 at 5 pm I believe.

Everyone who can attend should. DFO will be looking to see how big a turnout it will be for sure.

All I, and many other concerned fishers say can say about this, is that is you have any interest or care about the salmon fishing from Sheringham Pt. to Sidney you need to be at the SFAB meeing 7pm Sheraton FourPoints Hotel, basement meeting room (behind the Langford Costco).

If you are a sportfisher, lodge/hotel/motel owner, guide, tackle shop owner, boat dealer, marina/gas dock owner, etc. you need to be at this meeting to show your concern by your physical presence.

If there is not a huge turnout to show profound displeasure at the possible extreme restrictions coming out, DFO will figure they have no reason to change their minds on this. WE MUST SHOW SOLIDARITY AND STRENGTH IN NUMBERS AT THIS MEETING. No time for petty differences and excuses that others can carry the ball on this. If you care about fishing in these waters you MUST be there!!! The time to stand up for your right to fish is NOW!

I received a call from Chek New this morning to provide an interview to discuss the closer and the effect on sports/charter fishery in the Victoria area. But I couldn't meet with them until 1330 hrs and that was too late to make tonight's new hour. They then contact Martin at Pedder Bay Marina to provide his comments. With Martin being a great supporter of all types of sports fishing, involved with lodges and being at the front lines of the salmon and hali fights for the past few years he will be a good spokes person.

PLEASE WATCH CHEK NEWS TONIGHT.

screwed again,,can't dfo see who is catching all of the fish,,cut those commercial guys back for a few years then the fish will be back in big numbers,,easy fix,,come on you dfo f--kers,,figure it out,,what if we were to cut back on dfo employees and have a few less jobs,,it's just like that's what their going to do to the charter guys,,
way to go

Are you that clueless or just a sheep. Last year the rec sector "estimated" catch was 500,000 and the commercials approx 140,000. Who has the biggest impact??

Nice again to see martin and boss prove that economics come before conservation for the SFAB. How many tourists will show up when there is no salmon left??

270,000 anglers with no enforcement and a 30 fish limit... won't be too long and it will be over.

I wonder what the SFAB will dream up now to screw the local angler to extend the guide season.

Are you that clueless or just a sheep. Last year the rec sector "estimated" catch was 500,000 and the commercials approx 140,000. Who has the biggest impact??

Nice again to see martin and boss prove that economics come before conservation for the SFAB. How many tourists will show up when there is no salmon left??

270,000 anglers with no enforcement and a 30 fish limit... won't be too long and it will be over.

I wonder what the SFAB will dream up now to screw the local angler to extend the guide season.

Please post up the links to prove your point.

"I wonder what the SFAB will dream up now to screw the local angler to extend the guide season. "
That's a classic from the tobacco and climate doubters group.
Are you sure you didn't get that tactic from one of those groups.
Perhaps Chris has that in your "talking points" emails.
GLG

When they train you in government to issue manage bad news, they always tell you to release it late on a Friday. It looks to me like they have been sitting on this to purposely give us as little time as possible to get organized and get people out to the meeting and also to defuse the Halibut issue.

I also noticed that while this story made the front page of the print version of the Times Colonist it was buried in the sport section of the Web version. I called up the newsroom made the argument that this was a major story and 10 minutes later it was the first story on the home page. Perhaps a few more anglers will see it. A small victory given how much we have been body slammed recently.

The recreational fishery is out of control and has no respect for conservation. Look how valuble we are should never trump conservation. Last year the recreational sector took an estimated 500,000 springs while the commercial sector took a monitored 140,000. Time to put the brakes on the recreational sector until they become accountable in all fisheries before there is no more fish.

Looks like fish4commies is commenting on the TC article too...I am having a hard time deciding if he is a commie or a politician...
:rolleyes:

The following article might also be playing into the potential closure. Rumor has it that the orca prefer larger Chinook salmon as part of their diet.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/victory+killer+whales+victory/6207161/story.html

Aaron Porter and Tricia Hoochung

Photograph by: Porter Hoochung , MCT

The threatened and endangered killer whales of Canada’s west coast need food and a safe place to live. It’s obvious. That’s why the Federal Court of Appeal upheld the decision that the government must meet the requirements of the Species at Risk Act and provide legal protection of the most fundamental needs of killer whales. That means ensuring that the coastal waters where the whales live are protected from pollution, that harmful noise from tankers and military vessels is reduced, and that chinook salmon are available for these killer whales to eat.

Clearly this was a victory for killer whales. Most Canadians would agree that there’s value in protecting this magnificent creature. In response to the ruling, Ecojustice executive director Devon Page said, “Our huge win in the Federal Court of Appeal has me wishing I could talk to whales.” He went on to say, “The tale of the huge decline in their coastal family is one that would have anyone coming to their defence.”

But this case is important for more than just the health of the killer whales themselves. This ruling demonstrates how clear, prescriptive laws are necessary to protect the environment. It also tells us that protecting the environment is central to the survival of any species, including humans.

We all rely on clean air, water and soil to survive and thrive. Nature provides these vital services, and technology cannot fully replace any of them. We are one species among many within a complex web of life. When we break that web by endangering or destroying the diverse species that make it up, we risk undermining the whole and disrupting systems we depend on to meet our basic needs. Protecting biodiversity, including recovering endangered species, is a critical strategy to keep these complex ecosystems we depend on functioning. Recovering killer whales is a part of protecting the home that we depend on.

The federal government has consistently resisted meeting the requirements of Canada’s Species at Risk Act, whether for caribou, Nooksack dace or sage grouse. Our government has been spending our money on legal actions to avoid doing its job instead of just getting it done.

Conservation groups took the government to court only after it was clear that Fisheries and Oceans Canada was not living up to the law. The government’s defence was that it already had the power to protect killer whales and didn’t need the Species at Risk Act to compel protection. But this was the whole point of the law in the first place – to make sure the government actually did something to prevent losing species that were nearing extinction. The government wasn’t doing the job without the law.

Our most basic needs, and those of killer whales, depend on a healthy environment.

The most important function of a government, and the laws that define it, is to protect the basic needs of its citizens. If there’s one thing that Canadians should take note of here, it’s not just that we need to protect killer whales; it’s that we need clear, prescriptive laws to protect these most basic needs, including the clean air, water, soil and functional ecosystems we all depend on.

I too wish I could talk to whales to tell them the good news. I suspect they might remind us that we’re all in this together; that taking care of them and taking care of ourselves is really the same thing.

Jeffery Young is a biologist at the David Suzuki Foundation in Vancouver.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/technol...ales+victory/6207161/story.html#ixzz1pRcLfAYX

The following article might also be playing into the potential closure. Rumor has it that the orca prefer larger Chinook salmon as part of their diet.

For sue it does.... DFO just had whales land on their lap as a new mandate... If they worked on the fish they wouldn't have had to deal with the whales too.

finally someone with the balls to say it NATIVE FISHERIES, food source and ceremonial purposes my butt!!! stop netting the effin rivers you idiots

Back