Chartplotter's

scott craven

Have narrowed down my search to a few different units...
namely the Garmin 172 grey scale, or the 172c color model

its seems the color units are $100-$150 more than the grey

is it worth the extra money ?

the units are identical in every respect other than the 172c
having color display.

whadya think?

scotty

its liek color t.v. vs. black and white..much nicer too look at but not essential..i wish my chartplotter was color

To fish or not to fish,
What a stupid question!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat drinking beer for a life time :D
TGIF =Thank God It Floats

If the $$$ isn't so important, GO FOR BROKE. They're easier to read from the back of the boat or under various light conditions.

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!

Mr. Dean

I've got the 182 b/w, great unit that is heavy used ,but if I was to do it again and money is not a problem go for the color.

I would definatly go for color. The gray ones look ok in the store, but once you start cruising around you leave a gray line behind you, and the gray lines all start mixing together so you can't tell if its a contour line or just where you have been the day before. On a color unit you can choose you trail color, so it dosent get confusing. That may not have been the best wording for what i was trying to say... but gray= harder to see... color= way better

Am also looking quietly around for these rigs and the last post from SS fisher re chart lines makes sense , thanks will keep that in mind.
I understand that Harbour Chandlers in Nanaimo has a great Mothers sale of electronic equipment, will go up there and have a gander on the stocks in the store on that date,

AL

quote:
Am also looking quietly around for these rigs and the last post from SS fisher re chart lines makes sense , thanks will keep that in mind.
I understand that Harbour Chandlers in Nanaimo has a great Mothers Day sale of electronic equipment, will go up there and have a gander on the stocks in the store on that date,

AL
Forgot to put in the day on the last post.....sorry

I have a color model and love it, also get biggest screen your boat and pocket book can handle, visibility is important but so is amout of information, you can put a lot more on a big screen vrs a small one. I have a fish plot 10, not sure its even available now, but there are number of great machines. A system that uses the c-Map NT+ map modules would be my choice. Lots of different machines use them.

Back