Chance to Support Sooke Sea Pen Project & Save Some $

Whole in the Water

Thought I'd post this here to get a little more visibility.

OK Fisher folk. SVIAC has begun our 2018 Membership drive. We are currently planting 500,000 Juvinile chinook in the Sooke Area, with the goal to do many more in the years to come. This will help feed the endangered SRKW's in the future. Also, we are a strong voice against the crushing restrictions that we have been facing on the South Island. To take advantage of these deals you must purchase your SVIAC membership before the end of April/18.

Here are the current membership rewards available to 2018 SVIAC members:

Island Outfitters – 1 Just-for-the-Halibut Derby Ticket – $7.50 off
Island Outfitters - %10 Off bait (All Year!)
Canadian Energy – Marine & Auto Battery (1 Invoice) – 10% off
Hoyne Brewery – Gift Certificate - $10.00 value
Coast Reels – $100.00 off (Purchased at Trotac)
SVIAC – One KMC Salmon Derby Ticket – $10.00 off
Burt’s Automotive – Labour on Repairs (1 Invoice) – 10% off

If you have not renewed your membership, you can do so at www.anglerscoalition.com . There are a lot of great reasons for joining, if not just for advocacy and our enhancement program, then for some of the great deals mentioned above.

There will be more membership rewards as well as existing ones that you can see our website, www.anglerscoalition.com

Not to hijack the thread, but whatever happened to the coho pen at James Island. Is it still operating or did they shut it down?

are any of the chinook going to be marked with CWT tags. It would be interesting to see what areas they will be caught in. Where is the broodstock for the pen coming from?

100,000 clipped and wire code tagged at a cost of $30,000.00. Total cost of this years outplanting is $75,000.00. A big thank you to those who have already supported us but unfortunately there are far far many more who have not. if you fish local south Vancouver Island tidal waters and you have not supported this volunteer project to date I would like to hear from you as to what is your reason for not doing so. This is a sincere question to better understand the hesitation of many of you to help us help you stay on the water and enjoy your recreational fisheries.

The sooke charter boat assoc we decided with this years dues to up it a bit all of us put in a extra $100.00 per person . So i challenge all other fisherman to do the same .... as we all did thats how much we believe in the project. I can tell you the pen is in place at marina and things are definitely rolling . we will need volunteers to help along with more funds so please join SVIAC and donate it is on the wed site and a donation button is all set up. WE really need your help.
Now is the time as out future stocks really need our help.if every fisherman chips in as we all know you like to fish then we will have funding in place we plan on even more fish in the future..

Thanks Wolf

The sooke charter boat assoc we decided with this years dues to up it a bit all of us put in a extra $100.00 per person . So i challenge all other fisherman to do the same .... as we all did thats how much we believe in the project. I can tell you the pen is in place at marina and things are definitely rolling . we will need volunteers to help along with more funds so please join SVIAC and donate it is on the wed site and a donation button is all set up. WE really need your help.
Now is the time as out future stocks really need our help.if every fisherman chips in as we all know you like to fish then we will have funding in place we plan on even more fish in the future..

Thanks Wolf
Done

I checked my email this morning and seen these $100 donations through our PayPal notifications which all the SVIAC board members are connected to. So I came here to see what was going on. Thanks Wolf and the Sooke Charter Boat Association for putting up a bit of a challenge. Every bit helps as we still have funds to raise to cover this years out planting of 500,000 Chinook.

Also it is a good time to thank the Bellingham chapter of the Pudget Sound Anglers. They hold a fishing derby each summer and for the last two years have donated a total of $1500.00 US to this project through derby proceeds. A few of their members come up each August and fish the Oak Bay Marine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament. By attending our derby they learned about the Sooke Chinook Sea Pen project and that JDF derby proceeds are directed to the project. They went home and convinced their society president to support the project with proceeds from their derby. We now also trade derby tickets for prizes. More of these Sea Pens located in areas that keep interaction with wild stocks to a minimum is an important part to solving some of our current problems. Making sure the Sooke Sea Pen is a big success will ensure many more of these projects will be looked at and get approval quickly.

Well I can personally thanks lads for stepping up I hope and wish more will help out as I personally think the net pen is a awesome idea and I have been helping out since day 1 setting up,moving etc.Last year spent 3 days at nitnat getting the Chinooks for brood stock for coming up and must say pretty cool.if we could get alot of the fisherman donating to the cause I know it will help as it $$$ to pay for the clipping and the food for the amount of fish we are getting (500,000) trust me you the fishermen/woman are going to benefit from this in years to come so please step up and help us.....

Thanks Wolf

More details about some of the deals. All deals are for those who have bought memberships this year and only until the end of April. So you have 20 days left to take advantage of these discounts. Hoyne Brewery is giving a free empty Growler Bottle worth $5.00 plus a $5.00 gift certificate. Atlas Audio Video Unlimited is giving you $25.00 off any item in the store worth a minimum of $50.00 and is valid until June 30th 2018. The new membership cards have 10 numbers along the bottom edge with each one corresponding to a deal. Once the deal is redeemed the retail outlet will punch a hole through that deal number.

Bump...I'm seeing a definite increase in Paypal payment activity with $40 memberships purchased and a few $100 donations as well. Thank you to those who have stepped up so far. Lets keep this going as this is a project for both whales and anglers and needs to be supported by anglers. We are only a 3 weeks away from the first of two truck loads of Nitinat Chinook arriving at the Sea Pen in Sooke. The Sea Pen has already been moved to Sooke Harbour Marina. The nets are up in Parksville having some tears from last year being repaired. The bigger bills will be in our mailbox at that time as well. Once these fish reach maturity they will swim back to Sooke along the west coast of the Island. They will benefit fisheries from Winter Harbour down to Port Renfew and all place in between. We hope many of those who fish those waters will contribute as well.

I would love it if someone cas post pictures like last year of the work and smolts being transferred to the sea pens.

Do these sea pens lessen the amount of smolts taken by seals?

I just bought my membership. It shouldn't matter if you fish the area or not. It's a great project.

I have never fished there before, but plan on showing up in a few years to catch Me some!

Attachments

• IMG_2774.PNG
    IMG_2774.PNG
    316.3 KB · Views: 11
Do these sea pens lessen the amount of smolts taken by seals?

To some extent, If they were raised to age 2 it looks like it may greatly reduce predation. That would be expensive to do. I also bought a membership. Everyone should buy a membership, or attest contribute to the net pen project.

This video helps explain where some predation bottlenecks may be occurring.

Back