Central Coast Part One-- The Puppy or the Fish

Sharphooks

Just got back to my island home after two weeks up on the Central Coast.

The decision to take a five month old puppy along this year ended up making me pare back my original plans of going waaaay north

But there was a lot of poignancy in the decision to bring her---I'd be revisiting places I'd brought my last dog during a ten year period. It was eerie some times having the new pup standing in the old foot prints of the deceased:

Last edited:
Central Coast Part Two: Nav Aids to Keep the Puppy Alive

I spent all last winter preparing for this trip. I take logistics planning seriously and having the right nav aids is not a small thing for me. I ended up installing an entire new suite of electronics.

The 48 mile radar ---yes, the large radome looks a bit ridiculous on my small boat but last year, I'd spent two weeks running in impenetrable fog-- collision avoidance doesn't always involve other boats or land masses---big logs are my worst nightmare (at any speed) and I'd hoped that by throwing more energy at target the pay-off would be returning the puppy back to its home safe and sound (with virgin prop flukes).

The biggest change in the marine nav equipment this year was the addition of a CHIRP transducer

The results in target definition can be stunning: I could skim under or over bait balls and clearly see my gear in relation to bait balls

Last edited:
Central Coast Part Three-- All the Cool Stuff You See When Being on the Water At Dawn

You just gotta love being on the water at Oh Dark Thirty with a mug of fresh coffee in hand and all the PROMISE laying ahead of you. Being able to do that up in that part of the world makes it all the more mind blowing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Central Coast Part Four-- More Scenery---Can't Get Enough of that Scenery!

:

can't get enough of fishing under this wall and looking up at heaven!

whale spout at dawn:

Last edited:
Central Coast Part Five: The Fishing

Going off on this trip I tried to manage my expectations.

There was all the chatter about "the best salmon returns in fifty years" we were having and were going to keep on having (blah blah blah blah). Lots of that down in these parts--banner spring returns to our coast and everyone talking about how sweet it was and how sweet it was going to keep on being all through August...

We've all heard this over-the-top chatter... that immediately had me taking a step back from the table, worrying about not getting too over-amped. I reminded myself the best thing I could do was sit down, shut up, and fish.

Keep the gear wet and see what happens

The upshot---from what I saw it was not that red hot a year up there

Coho--- stupid in some places but they are not what inspired me to burn all that gas so I don't include them in the report

Part of my strategy this year was ANTI-FISHING: I picked up lots of garbage this trip. It allowed me to pull back from the fray; I wasn't fishing any more, at least for things that swam, and I was doing something constructive.

I got a nice spring after I stowed that garbage on my boat. The spring committed suicide and went into the fish box. On the next drop of my gear, as in two minutes after hooking the spring, I got a halibut. Gotta love anti-fishing (and cleaning up beaches that look so much better when they're CLEAN)

Last edited:
thank you sharkhooks, reminds of what i should remember to enjoy about our coast.

I always love reading about your adventures,and I admit being a tad envious while doing so.Thanks again for sharing them with us here,sharphooks.

Mind blown again. Awesome report man :cool:. I am hoping to do some trips like this in the next few years of my life. I read your reports and gain so much knowledge. It is much appreciated :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Great read. I said hello out in Milbanke on that big NW on Aug 1st. We were in the Blue Limestone. Have fished Cultus, Spider, M for 30 years all by our lonesome, the boats showed up about 10 years ago at M. We have moved north and you saw us at the beginning of our trip. Slow fishing for us as well everywhere. One of the slowest in years, water temp I believe, we caught a few mackerel which explains things. Fished showed up Aug 4,5,6. Unfort at the end of our trip. Managed to get one about 48lbs 45x29" and released it. Amazing weather, great times. Look forward to seeing you again next year.

Awesome story, thanks SH. Great to hear you gather garbage off the beach too. Surprisingly satisfying to dump a big garbage bag full of styrofoam and plastic parts in the trashcan when you get home!

Gorgeous story and pics! Thanks a million it really brought me back to that part of the world.
Catching fish is great and all,but the experience and excitement that goes with playing on and around the water will be in our blood forever.the night before a trip (even a small one) i get all giddy n cant sleep.love it!
That is one lucky pup,musta talked its ears off!

Thanks for the story. I grew up in Bella Coola, and got to go on a 10 day trip out there when I was 10 or so. I've been dreaming about going back ever since. In fact, it might be part of the reason I'm married to a boat now.

The beaches and sheltered coves, and general scenery there can't be done justice even with a great of a story as yours! I remember snorkeling in a cove and the entire seafloor was covered in urchins...you couldn't see the bottom.

Thanks for bringing me back. :)

Wow, it's been tough returning to the drudgery of all the crap that stacked up on my desk while I was gone. Falling in to a water routine is way easier then falling out of it!

Thanks for all the comments, Gents. Farmboytim---I remember seeing you guys up there ---nice boat!

In the meantime, I hope everyone gets their water-time and their fish-licks in this summer---crazy weather....

Cheers!

Back