centerpin casting

ive really been improving at my centerpin casting but am curious about some of the specialized casting videos ive seen on utube like the whallis cast... anyone know what im talking about ... looks good for tight in he bush

Wallis casting takes time but you can nearly triple your distance once you master. It is better to use a lighter reel with a fast start-up if you want it to be most effective.
I've been using a pin since the late 80's and still use a side cast 90% of the time.

What reel are you using?

I'm also new with a centerpin and am wondering a little bit about the casting and for any advice on Silex reels. I am using an older Silex (it just says "The Silex") which I am told needs to be worked in. After spinning the reels for hours while watching tv, I would say that it spins better but not nearly as long as some i've seen online. Is that normal with a Silex? or should this reel be spinning for a few minutes like come pin reels do?

I've only fished once with it and I used the whallis cast the whole time (which doesnt seem right). This was the only cast I could get to work likely because of inexperience but I also thought maybe because the reel isnt spinning well enough?? my side casts were awful!!

I plan on fishing steelhead with it quiet a bit this fall/winter. The one time I used it was for coho and I was lucky enough to tie into a few. very fun!!

I have it loaded with 20lb maxima (which i'm thinking is a bit heavy) and am using a sage 3113mb. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm totally new with this.

I've used a 3113mb and Silex for almost 40 years and it is still one of my favorite combo's for bigger water. Use a larger float and load it up with lead for easier casting untill you get the hang of things. it's all about the release timing. That reel will never spin as easy as some of the other brands on the market but you will learn to love it

I totally agree with bod, i fish exact same setup 20 yrs. now. once reel gets a little loose it'll spin better , never as good as some of the ball bearing reels , but you've got a workhorse of a reel that'll prolly work for the rest of your life with a little love. Big float, 2.5 -3 in. pencil lead and start by not trying to get across the river first cast. you gotta release right at the start of your swing forward . Good luck.

Hey Bod never realized you were a river rat too. I use a 3113 LB with the new Kingfisher. Got Silex(s) too, but they are too valuable to fish now. Bonus with the narrow model of Kingfisher is it loads up really fast so you can get away with limited back cast room.

I use and like Raven. I have owned numerous pins, including hardy(jewel, suberba, the silex), islander(steelheader), raven(matrix, matrix xl, sst2, sst3). My all time favorite is the raven matrix xl. Amundson is also offering a promising new pin for 2012 that looks very similar to an Islander. I have not fished it, but it looks pretty good for the money. I will beat on it later next month.

DHA.

Moved from Ontario last where there is a much stronger gathering of pinners.. I have yet to come across a follow pinner in the rivers and creeks since I've moved to the island.. Glad to know there are others out here. Anyways.. although I prefer the wallis cast.. when space is limited.. and me fishing a 15ft rod.. I prefer either the side and short cast. Short case if you are fishing up next to a wall... or low hanging trees.

a fifteen foot rod for steelhead thats crazy man, i fish a 10'6 rod. i love the pinning and only use a pin now for drift fishing but i find it heavy to hold up all day< hard on the shoulder .do u find that with a 15 foot rod

don't find it heavy at all... the only strain I have is after fishing a few fish.. Love the 15fter, find it a bit harder to cast, but definitely makes up for it when it comes to fighting and landing fish. The extra real estate helps by buying you some extra time when your trying to land the fish in deep water and the fish decides to take that last unexpected run.

But what I found helpful is to re-position the reel so that the butt of the rod rest on your elbow and reel sitting right below where my hand is holding the rod.

But what I found helpful is to re-position the reel so that the butt of the rod rest on your elbow and reel sitting right below where my hand is holding the rod.

aYup! Balance is Everything!! :D
When the rod & reel are well balanced, casting all day long is a breeze IMO.

My custom pin rod is 12.5 feet in length. tried a few shorter rods with the pin, and GREATLY prefer the longer rod! In contrast, I find it quite a bit easier to distance cast with accuracy than the shorter rods, and of course all that shock absorber effect seems to keep them buttoned up a tad better.

Fifteen feet eh? Seems a tad excessive for most of the flows I wander, but whatever floats your boat...

Cheers,
Nog

I used to fish a 13'4 g loomis and loved it. The rod loaded perfectly and long casts were effortless. Just wish it had more backbone as it was only rated 4-8lb. Managed to land some pigs with it though. I'm building a sage 3113mb which is one of the best pin rods ever made for the west coast IMO.

Nog which blank is that 12'6? I really want to build a longer rod as my next build but i can"t find the right blank. Thinking of building a spey blank for my pin in the 12-13ft size but not sure yet.

Nog which blank is that 12'6?

"Combo" rod actually...

Some here may know that Gary Loomis' Nephew moved over to "Rogue Rods" a few years back now. He completely re-vamped their line, and now their products are pretty much the same as Loomis, sans the sticker price. My current custom job is a combination of a couple of Rogue's rods. The base is from their 12 foot casting rod, the tip is from one of their 8 weight salt-water fly rods. Overall length 12.5 feet, custom guides, beautiful cork handle, loads of backbone, and so damn sensitive you can feel a fish fart at 10 feet! It is very much my Go-To for centerpinning Winter Steel.

Cheers,
Nog

I used to fish a 13'4 g loomis and loved it. The rod loaded perfectly and long casts were effortless. Just wish it had more backbone as it was only rated 4-8lb. Managed to land some pigs with it though. I'm building a sage 3113mb which is one of the best pin rods ever made for the west coast IMO.

Nog which blank is that 12'6? I really want to build a longer rod as my next build but i can"t find the right blank. Thinking of building a spey blank for my pin in the 12-13ft size but not sure yet.

You might like the RAVEN 13'6" IM9. RV136-IM9, I can get blanks for any RAVEN model

DHA.

Need to check out these Rogue rods...

I was considering building a new rod from an MHX blank.. but I'm also liking the prices of the Rogue blanks. Sweet

aYup! Balance is Everything!! :D
When the rod & reel are well balanced, casting all day long is a breeze IMO.

My custom pin rod is 12.5 feet in length. tried a few shorter rods with the pin, and GREATLY prefer the longer rod! In contrast, I find it quite a bit easier to distance cast with accuracy than the shorter rods, and of course all that shock absorber effect seems to keep them buttoned up a tad better.

Fifteen feet eh? Seems a tad excessive for most of the flows I wander, but whatever floats your boat...

Cheers,
Nog

I'm from Ontario.. where they mostly stock chinooks and they average 25lbs... Having a long noodly rod for these fish is a must.. Also majority of the rivers and creeks are not that wide, so it didn't really bother me how far I had to cast. But living out here.. I am wanting a rod with a lot more backbone.. the tribs out here are a lot wider, so now I am finding the need to build a new rod...

Now all I got to do is get approval from the treasury... Question is.. how much will she approve me for? :rolleyes:

Back