"Catching Monsters" t.v. show......

Seafever

Show is about Canadian Tuna fishing around Nova Scotia/P.E.I area.....similar to the way they fish on "Wicked Tuna"..

Apparently the "biggie" Tuna congregate there in late summer...

They are allowed one only fish per season.....(tag holder).

So far they've been bragging about what great fishermen they are and how the "guys down south' are just catching "bait".

They make the claim that 1500lb Tuna are often around (although no-one on the show has caught one anywhere near that yet)....and how you can make up to 30,000 dollars off one fish.

Which is odd...because.......

Of the Tuna they have caught so far, the price Canadian is way lower than what the USA Wicked Tuna guys get. One guy got 4 dollars a pound (Cdn. dollars) on the Canadian show.. The USA guys get paid in American dollars and seemed to get anywhere from 16 to 24 USA dollars per pound.

As far as I know the Tuna on both shows end up in Japan........so it looks like the Canadians get hosed price-wise.

No-one on the Canadian show has cracked 10,000 dollars......never mind 30,000 dollars.

In shows gone by the Wicked Tuna guys have caught quite a few "big" Tuna (over 500lbs.......some past shows they had 1100 lb'ers )........and they get paid well.

The guys on Wicked Tuna make more money than the "Catching Monsters" guys overall.......so I don't know what the Canucks are tooting their horns about.....

Still a good fishing show to watch though........

Keep in mind the usa guys don't really know how much they get until those fish hit the auctions in japan, the buyer is only guessing at what they may get,
A little bit of grand standing for the show

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

The other thing I noticed as well is the Canadian guys don't immediately kill their fish,but instead drag them behind the boat to "cool them off".I'm sure they do this for lactic acid build up so the meat doesn't "burn".I wonder if the US
guys do this as well but just omit that part of it on the show.Just something I was wondering about.

Wicked Tuna needs to come off the air until they fix the double standard. Is it sport fishing? They sure make like it is. If so, ditch the talk of dollars per pound. Either that or be forthright about it being commercial fishing.

Wicked Tuna needs to come off the air until they fix the double standard. Is it sport fishing? They sure make like it is. If so, ditch the talk of dollars per pound. Either that or be forthright about it being commercial fishing.

Wicked Tuna has always been about commercial fishing. They even say it right in the introduction! I don't know how much more forthright they could be.

I applaud them for the way they commercially fish those fish. Hook and line instead of purse seine.

"Catching Monsters" t.v. show......

I too was wondering about swimming the fish behind the boat thing, seem kinda odd the south of the border guys don't do the same thing? Or is it just edited for better TV?? Also found it odd that the commercial guys down south get a whole season to catch them while the Canadians only get one tag per fisherman..? How can the rules be so different if both shows say they are trying to preserve these big Blue Fins? Either way "tails up" as Marciano says.. That's bucket list stuff... What a thrill it would be to fight one of them big blue fins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen Dave Marciano drag his Tuna behind the boat to cool them off......although they are dead not alive from the look of it. The other WT guys put their fish on ice right away it looks like.

The WT guys do fishing charters for other species like Cod etc. as well........on a couple of episodes they had clients out fishing for Tuna with them.......but the clients don't get to keep any portion of Tuna
unless the boat captain is generous.

When I was in Hawaii (USA), all the charter sport boats there are in reality commercial boats and they don't have to let you take anything home if they don't feel like it.

I think it's like that in a lot of USA locations..

According to the Canadian show, there are 700 tags issued...so that would be 700 total Tuna.

Hookin'Up:- on WT show, the buyer tells them what the Tuna is worth right then and there . How could the buyer at the dock know what it will fetch exactly in Japan on the open bidding market before it's even there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back