Catch of the Day

nice fish, PB on the bottom I assuming?

Kunni

the pudddle? I wish I had a pond in my backyard! :)

kunni

Nice tail on that thing ;)

You just cant win hey?

Thanks for the pics

IF the tail is worm then it was recently released after spending time in a net pen!

Lots of brood stock were stocked a few weeks ago around the south island.

-KK

Good day yesterday with the kid, 3 in the 12-14 range and 3 of the no-tail broods all 20+. Funny fight from them, lots of head shaking but no good runs and tire easily. Putt them all back except on 14 for dinner.

All on black leech or dark olive. Arrived about 2:30 and only one until 4,then surface activily increased and hits galore. Had to change from a long leech because I think I was getting short strikes. Only hooked about 1 out of 4 or 5 strikes until the change and then was able to hook up 1/2. Died off by 5:00.

Didn't see anything from the shore guys.

KK thanks for the tip. Color on black was important. Couple other guys with nothing from straight black leech.
James

Congrats on the fish. Yes I tried straight black with a tungsten bead. Nada. Then went to gold cone head with black body and copper tail. Bingo! My fly was a size 10 so really small. Cant short strike somthing that small ;)

I did the trip up Island today and tried Quamachin. Fishing was super slow with 2 cutty landed in 3 hours. Both on my UV purple and Green Baitfish fly. I have hit lots of Coho on this same fly.

The wind came up at noon and we moved to Dougan lake and gave it a few laps of that pond. Dad got a nice 10" cutty on a small green spinner. Flies were dormant and saw no surface action. Time to pack it in.

Well Dad managed to get the van stuck at the ramp and thanks to the 2 fellas who pulled us out. Cheers hope you caught some fish!

-KK

got out on horne lake today, trolled around all day and landed a nice 19 inch rainbow. If I can figure out how to post the picture on here I will do so shortly.

James, and KK, were you guys trolling?

kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
When and Where? I trolled a few of the days and double anchored and casted others.

Durrance I trolled mostly and wind drifted.

-K

Mostly wind drifted and then trolled back up lake but when the wind died I did a bit of casting with the fly rod towards surfacing fish. We tried a few microleeches under an indicator and had success.

I was surprised at the color or two colors to be specific of the stomach contents of the one fish we kept and a matching fly had the most action. My daughter is a bit buggy and loves to look at whats in the water. We inspected several of the surfaced flies and found they were very dark olive underside and a black body with very silver ribs. This was not the same color as the stomach contents but we did not see any surfacing pupae just a lot of husks.

Surface activity seemed to increase when the wind died off but maybe it was just more evident.
James

ok thanks, I'll probably be a durrance on saturday. I really need to catch:)

kunni

had a great day a durrance today 14 fish 6 of which were those broodstock, probably around 2-3lbs. the rest were small, and all were released. I saw KK there, and he gave me some great tips, and great flies. All the fish were caught trolling brown, and black leech patterns, from about 1.5-3 inches.

kunni

Glad I could be of some help. You were having a rather slow day otherwise it seemed. Too bad for you I only had one of Liprippers Cowichan Lake Killers in my fly box.

Too many fish to count today. Lots lost at the boat and many released. Kept none. Half and Half broodstock/fall catchables. Did hit one fish that was a solid 19" without a round tail. Hit like a freight train and got lots of air. I almost lost my rod out the back of the boat while watching Kunni tackle a troot.

Did get video footage of Kunni's first fish of the day(a nice one too). If he aproves it can go on youtube and be posted.

-KK

Had a legendary day at Glen Lake today, 5 trout, and a 3.5lb bass, everything was released, and caught on purple or black leechs, photos of the bass are on coming.

kunni

Back