Carrying capacity -- 1996 Chev 3/4 ton 4X4

Cuba Libre

Looking to acquire a new(er) camper as She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed wants a full bathroom. I have seen a couple of nice units, but I was unsure of my trucks carrying capacity. I dont have air bags. What is the heaviest camper that I can safely carry? How about a 2450lb unit?

Anyone knowledgeable in this field?
Thanks
bryan

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

If you look at the label on the trailing edge of the drivers door, it should tell you your maximum gross vehicle weight and on some even the tare weight. Also it is a good idea to run over the scales and find out what your truck weighs empty. Another thing to check is the rating on your tires.

Also CL, don't forget to take into consideration that you will have the boat in tow as well as tongue weight........ SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

My f-350 (which I have 4 sale) can take 3500 lbs of payload and 15,000 lbs towing. I have a 3/4 ton Chev, but I don't think it would take all that weight too well.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

if it has the 8bolt wheels it will have a 8600lb GVW, and depending on the truck you have (reg cab/extcab/diesel...etc) that will affect the size of the camper and weight you can haul

2400lbs may be maxing it out....I have an 03 Chev crewcab with a 9200lbs GVW and my 2200lb camper puts it over weight by approx 150lbs

Thanks Striperjack et al..... I will be pushing the limit as I have bought a Lance camper. Weight (without full water tank) 2250lbs. Add 150lbs tongue weight for the boat and I am over-- However, since it is an older truck, I wont have trouble at the weighscale ( I hope!)

Just everyone get out of the way if I am heading downhill!!!!!:D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

If the truck looks like it is sitting level or at least not looking like is overweight then they shouldn't target you.

There has been talk over the years of DOT targetting trucks and campers for being over weight but so far we have been lucky and it is only talk:)

I am going to ensure mine isn't over weight ....just heading out the door..just bought a 3500 Silverado dually....I think I might have enough weight allowance left over to stack another camper on top of this one:D

Ya-- the truck sits nice and level with no noticable tail droop. Havent hood theboat up yet, but that will add about another 175lbs to the tailend.

Congrats on the new truck-- aint it amazing how our toys just seem to grow over time?? :D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back