Cuba Libre

From DFO

The Department is receiving questions regarding the possibility of recreational
fishery openings for pink salmon in the Fraser River. For 2017, DFO is not
considering an in-river, recreational pink retention fishery in the river
because there is no remaining TAC for directed recreational or commercial pink
fisheries.

What a bunch of BS !

Disgusting at so many levels. Still, if there is no market, then maybe this stops. Maybe people need to question resteraunts about where their fish come from. If for nothing else the pre preparation handling, yuck!

I just heard of a charity/church salmon cook out happening. I asked where they got their fish, they said met up with people on the Fraser, out in Mission on the side of the river in complete darkness and get them still flopping fresh, to order. 20 fish (mostly sockeye, a couple pinks, springs and jacks in the mix) = $300.

I guess this falls somewhere in the food ,social and ceremonial criterion.

The way this is going we are only two cycles away from the entire Fraser River being in the same state as the Cultus Lake sockeye run. Mitsy Mcduff will still be blaming the recreational fishery.

:confused:
I just heard of a charity/church salmon cook out happening. I asked where they got their fish, they said met up with people on the Fraser, out in Mission on the side of the river in complete darkness and get them still flopping fresh, to order. 20 fish (mostly sockeye, a couple pinks, springs and jacks in the mix) = $300.

I guess this falls somewhere in the food ,social and ceremonial criterion.
$15/fish is a pretty ceremonial deal. Meeting in pitch black adds some romance to the social aspect of it. :D
Joakin' aside, we all know the state of affairs with the FN's opennings and there ate always a gew bad apples in the mix. The only way to challenge the status quo is through putting pressure on our MPs and also bringing social awareness to general public. I spoke to three people (different occasions) who recently bought salmon from FNs and they didn't know that they've been engaged in illigal dealings.

There are other variables besides the FNs harvest that should be in the spotlight as well. E.g. Fish farms, chemical and sewage spills in local streams and the ocean, over harvesting in the open ocean and the list goes on and on...
it's easy to finger point to one stakeholder group when the stocks are low but it's not going to put a dent in the root of the issue.

Tidal and Non Tidal Fraser just 'opened', here is the tidal update;

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject: FN0940-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Area 29 - Tidal Waters of the Fraser River - Salmon Opportunities

Waters: Tidal waters of the Fraser River (downstream edge of the CPR Bridge at
Mission to the mouth).

Management measures:

Effective September 13 until October 6, 2017:

- The daily limit for chinook salmon is four (4) with only one (1) greater than
62 cm.
- The daily limit for chum salmon is four (4).
- You may not retain coho or pink salmon.
- No fishing for sockeye salmon.
- You may not use bait when fishing for salmon.

Effective October 7 until December 31, 2017:

- The daily limit for chinook salmon is four (4) with only one (1) greater than
62 cm.
- The daily limit for chum salmon is four (4).
- The daily limit for coho salmon is two (2) hatchery marked only.
- You may not retain sockeye or pink salmon.

In the tidal Fraser River, fishing for salmon is only permitted from one hour
before sunrise to one after sunset each day.

Variation Order numbers: 2017-476, 2017-477, 2017-478, 2017-479

Back