Canada's governor general guts, eats raw seal

Sushihunter

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iMwXARrCVvk8gytQt_h00sYUhgqg

Canada's governor general guts, eats raw seal

39521.73Michaelle-Jean-Nunavut.sff.jpg

OTTAWA (AFP) — Canada's governor general gutted a seal slaughtered for her during an official Arctic trip, cut out its heart and ate it to show solidarity with Inuit seal hunters, local media said Tuesday.

Hundreds of Inuit had gathered for a community feast in Rankin Inlet in Nunavut, the first stop on Governor General Michaelle Jean's trip to nine remote northern communities this week as Canada's head of state and representative of Queen Elizabeth II.

Jean reportedly knelt above the carcass of a freshly slaughtered seal and used a traditional ulu blade to slice meat off the skin. She then asked one of her hosts: "Could I try the heart?"

According to broadcaster CTV, Jean said it was "absolutely delicious" and tasted "like sushi."

As she wiped her blood-soaked fingers with a tissue, she explained her support for Canada's traditional seal hunt and trade, which locals fear will be devastated by a European ban on seal products.

The European Parliament recently voted to endorse an EU ban on seal products in protest against commercial hunting methods, although it will only take effect in 2010.

The Canadian government maintains that the traditional hunt is crucial for some 6,000 North Atlantic fishermen who rely on it for up to 35 percent of their total annual income.

Northern aboriginals are exempt from the ban, but they worry it inevitably affect their livelihoods too. "Once you destroy a market for one group, it is destroyed for all," explained Inuit leader Mary Simon.

Ottawa authorized the kill of 338,000 seals this year, insisting the hunt does not threaten the species. But a slump in pelt prices has meant fewer hunters on ice floes off Canada's Atlantic coast.

Fewer than 65,000 seals were expected to be killed, generating a mere 7,5 million Canadian dollars (6.4 million US) for sealers, a fisheries spokesman told AFP.

Copyright © 2009 AFP.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

We definitely need more Seal eatin' folks here on the BC coast whether they're Inuit or Orcas doesn't matter they are all Welcome.

As to Michaelle Jean she's My Kinda Gal! [8D]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

So you like women who fight for the Quebec separtist movement to break up Canada? That's why all the WW2 veterans turned their backs on her during the Rememberance Day ceremonies in Ottawa.

quote:Originally posted by adrianna3

So you like women who fight for the Quebec separtist movement to break up Canada? That's why all the WW2 veterans turned their backs on her during the Rememberance Day ceremonies in Ottawa.

Actually I am quite impressed that she will stand up for each minorities cultural rights. Far better than the "assimilate or else" approach.

In fact I sent an email of congratulations to her, I was so impressed.

quote:
To Her Excellency
the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.
Governor General of Canada

Congratulations on embracing the culture of Canada's Northern peoples. I support your actions.

I sent a copy to the Federal party leaders as well;
HarpeS@parl.gc.ca, IgnatM@parl.gc.ca, LaytoJ@parl.gc.ca, DucepG@parl.gc.ca

www.kayaks2.com

Some countries need hooligans, some countries want to see fights at hockey games, some need to slaughter whales, in some countries it is a hobby to do suicide bombings... Humans are weird I guess.

Finally, a Canadian political figure whom we can admire and be proud of. You go girl!!!.. show them thar Euro-Fop, limp-wristed Pradas that while they pollute our air with 2-cyl Skodas in their holier than God pride, there's those in the world who know them for what they truly are!

You, Michaelle Jean are a fine human being and are comfortable in your own skin! My three adult daughters and I salute you.

Cheers!

Back