can steelhead digest gooey b@bs?

S

sparky

I am a new steelhead fisherman .I was wondering if a steelhead can digest a gooey bob?I cleaned one that had three pieces of rubber in its belly,I wonder if a steelhead can pass gooey bobs without ripping a new a@#HOLE .Did that fish take the bait three times ...or did it eat that sh#t off the bottom ?Since steelhead can spawn and return to the sea... would the rubber roe in its belly eventually harm that fish? In the old days I was told corn was bad and that fish couldn't digest it .I also heard it was unlawfull to use. passing corn would be easy compared to passing a large rubber ball.The fish also had a digested roe bag ,no roe left inside just a small piece of material it would have passed through easily .I wonder if there are lots of constipated steelhead out there with silicon bum implants

I've heard that most plastic baits are impossible for fish to digest. The new Gulps and other bio plastics are probably fine tho.

If you feed it to them should they be able to digest it and ,or pass it through?

I guess this fish was caught by three newbees that don't know when to set the hook.....Not everyone is a pro. In my opinion these baits do not belong in a fishes anatomy . I'm told steelhead migrate to the open sea somewhere near japan and back... up to three times... heck of a swim...with a belly full of rubber .They give us tape worms,we give them gooooeybo#bs .....both work from the inside out!What a brutal thing to do to a really cool fish...Why kill it...just MAME it for life.

yea......... but i highly doubt that the sommass/stamp stealhead go out 2 or even 3 years. some do. thats for sure. but the majority is like 6-7 pounds.

Smells like PETA to me?? HA HA HA...I didnt post this **** to get ripped by senior members trying to pick a fight.One guy got ripped cause he couldn't spell very good or was it his grammer?!reply to the question!Lets keep this discussion civilized.Three year old spawners are not very common.... two year old spawners are not uncommon... the fact they do it at all is pretty cool... salmon take the easy way out using an easier ocean migration pattern and spawn and die ...steelhead fishermen should take pride in realeasing the fish unharned or kill it and eat it..... .Do you agree that these goooey boobs could harm a healthy fish you obviously know something about fishing with a handle like roe bags

Ever wonder what happens to your bait/gooey bob after you break off your leader in a snag? In some cases the bait will continue drifting downriver and eventually be eaten by a steelhead or trout. I have trouble believing that a steelhead would actually pick a gooey bob off the hook unless it was rigged improperly - most people put a sequin or something else between the bob and the hook to keep the rubber from coming off. I've often wondered about jensen eggs in a sack though because these can be picked off. Were there also hooks in this fish's jaw/stomach? My guess would be multiple hookups and breakoffs. As for the rubber being harmful, I would think that if this fish travelled back to sea and started feeding, the gooey bob(s) would become lethal; either from a blockage or from the lead and other chemicals that are put in plastic baits.
Possible solutions would be fly fishing, natural baits, and quick hook sets! Gooey bobs don't work as well as yarn anyway. ;)

Thanks for the reply blackleach ...people talk about banning roe... in favour of what ..rubber they can't digest.....think about the consequeces of a bait ban.How much more rubber will be inside these otherwize healthy fish !

Has any one else found these things (goooeyboobs)inside steelhead?Maybe even found one that looks like its been there a while?It would be nice to see what it loked like after a year in a fishes gut.I have only fished for steelhead a few times and I found three in one fish.Maybe it was a fluke or maybe this fish had a fettish for rubber!...Why not invent a gooey boo made out of gummy bears then when fishin was slow you could eat the bait.

actually.
i have used gummy bears tied in row bags before. i've also heard of the murphy guides using them. and actually caught fish too. i was kinda surprised. bet meh.

I know a fellow guide that found an empty Marlboro pakage in the stomach of a steelhead. I've seen some interesting things come out of fish stomachs like sticks, stones, bike pedal reflecter, cigar bits. Most of the harmful stuff that steelhead eat are items that anglers have lost of thier line or just accidentally lost in to the river. Bieng a bait flinger from way back my opinion is that biodegradable and palitable substences are the way to go. Gummy bears have worked well for me in the recent past. A M.O.E. staff member has informed me that these are illeagle because they contain gelletin witch is concidered food stuff. I've been dabbling with gell and dyes and will be using this non natural bait mater next year in bait banned areas. My plan is to be charged by the M.O.E. and challenge this "no food stuff" quote that is in the synopsis. It doesn't take a biologist to figure out that edible items are better for these fish than synthetic ones. Whose corn dog idea was it to recently include this quote in the regs and make non natural but dissolvable biat illegle?

Bait is the best stuff, shrimp,roe,roebags,ghost shrimp is all u need. Why fix something if its not broken?

The use of rubber is harming these fish,and not just the ones you take home!Plugging fish up with rubber is wrong and imoral,this bait should not be used.Rubber baits need to be BIODEGRADEABLE.I wonder if fish can Sh#t a rubber worm?

The sour worms work too! No B.S. fished the later part of my season because of this post with them, and they work just fine. you just need to wash or rub off the sour powder before u fish them. i haven't tried gummy bears but in the soon future hook a few onto my gammy.

Back