can anyone confirm

G

gimp

I heard that most of the fish farms in the Broughton Archipelago are empty at this time can anyone here confirm that Please

Picture002-1.jpg

yes Many of the farms are empty from what I am hearing from the Salmon Coast Field Station. Wanna know what their saying about the lice counts =)? I will let you guess.

Picture002-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by cuttlefish

You can look here to see which Marine Harvest BA farms are stocked;
http://www.marineharvestcanada.com/farming_farm_locations.php
Not all are empty, but Tribune Channel is right now.

Don't know about Mainstream, they don't put up info on their website.

Wow, that site you put up is something else. Do you know that they actually seem to have convinced themselves that fish farming is OK.[xx(]

Take only what you need.

i just sent them one nasty email, and signed it. We'll see if there is a reply.

Message from Alexandra Morton in Norway, disease and sea lice are not under control in Norwegian salmon farms and BC stands to lose all

I have been in Norway for 10 days because 92% of fish farming in British Columbia is Norwegian owned. I have met with many Norwegian scientists, members of the Mainstream and Marine Harvest boards, been to their AGMs, toured the area with fishermen, examined a closed-containment facility, met the Norwegians fighting for their fish and joined a scientific cruise.

I thought Norway had this industry handled and I expected to learn how marine salmon farming could work, but this has not been the case. My eyes have really been opened. This industry still has major issues that are growing and has no business expanding throughout the temperate coastlines of the world. The way they have been treating sea lice in Norway has caused high drug resistance. The only solution in sight is increasingly toxic chemicals. In the past two years (2007, 8) sea lice levels have actually increased on both the farm and wild fish. The scientists I met with are holding their breath to see if drug-resistant sea lice populations will explode and attack the last wild salmon and sea trout. The same treatment methods have been used in BC and we can expect this to occur as well.

I am not hearing how the industry can possibly safeguard British Columbia from contamination with their ISA virus. Infectious Salmon Anemia is a salmon virus that is spreading worldwide, wherever there are salmon farms. In Chile, the Norwegian strain of ISA has destroyed 60% of the industry, 17,000 jobs and unmeasured environmental damage. The industry is pushing into new territory. If this gets to BC no one can predict what it will do to the Pacific salmon and steelhead, it will be unleashed into new habitat and we know this is a very serious threat to life.

Professor Are Nylund head of the Fish Diseases Group at the University of Bergen, Norway, reports that, “based on 20 years of experience, I can guarantee that if British Columbia continues to import salmon eggs from the eastern Atlantic infectious salmon diseases, such as ISA, will arrive in Western Canada. Here in Hardangerfjord we have sacrificed our wild salmon stocks in exchange for farm salmon. With all your 5 species of wild salmon, BC is the last place you should have salmon farms.”

New diseases and parasites are being identified. The most serious is a sea lice parasite that attacks the salmon immune system. There is concern that this new parasite is responsible for accelerating wild salmon declines. The Norwegian scientists agree with many of us in BC. If you want wild salmon you must reduce the number of farm salmon. There are three options.

The future for salmon farming will have to include:

permanently reduction of not just the number of sea lice, but also the number of farm salmon per fjord,
removing farm salmon for periods of time to delouse the fjords and not restocking until after the out-migration of the wild salmon and sea trout.
But where wild salmon are considered essential they say the only certain measure is to remove the farms completely.

There are many people here like me. I met a man who has devoted his life to the science of restoring the Voss River, where the largest Atlantic salmon in the world, a national treasure, have vanished due to sea lice from salmon farms. Interestingly he is using the method I was not allowed to use last spring... Towing the fish past the farms out to sea. Another man is working with scientists and communities to keep the sea trout of the Hardangerfjord alive. There are so many tragic stories familiar to British Columbia.

The corporate fish farmers are unrelenting in their push to expand. With Chile so highly contaminated with the Norwegian strain of ISA all fish farmed coasts including Norway are threatened with expansion. I made the best case I could to Mainstream and Marine Harvest for removing the salmon feedlots from our wild salmon migration routes, but they will not accept that they are harming wild salmon. They say they want to improve, but they don’t say how. Norway has different social policies which include encouraging people to populate the remote areas and so fish farming seemed a good opportunity to these people. BC has the opposite policy, but the line that fish farms are good for small coastal communities has been used in BC anyway. I have not seen any evidence that it has even replaced the jobs it has impacted in wild fisheries and tourism.

It is becoming increasingly clear to protect wild Pacific salmon from the virus ISA the BC border absolutely has to be closed to importation of salmon eggs immediately and salmon farms MUST be removed from the Fraser River migration routes and any other narrow waterways where wild salmon are considered valuable.

Our letter asking government that the Fisheries Act, which is the law in Canada be applied to protect our salmon from fish farms has been signed by 14,000 people to date at www.adopt-a-fry.org <http://www.adopt-a-fry.org> has still not been answered.

Please forward this letter and encourage more people to sign our letter to government as it is building a community of concerned people word wide and we will prevail as there is really no rock for this industry to hide under and longer.

Alexandra Morton

Picture002-1.jpg

There is way more farms than whats on that map and I know this from personal experience seen enough of them up there which really makes me mad that one thats off of sargaunauts pass basically due east about 5 miles from minstral island has been there for about 15 years now WTF how can the bottom of that ocean sustane that much trash from one spot. VERY SAD

p.s. the only reason they have been emptied becuse they were going to get fined heavilly from not moving a buddy of mine was the one transporting it all winter long as the fines went from 1000 bucks to even bigger which would have hurt badly!!!! thats why they moved because the 1000 fine was "just cost of doing business" !!!!! as they really dont give a you know what about wild stock!!!!!
Wolf

http://www.marineharvestcanada.com/pdf/sea_lice/19_05_09_Larsen.pdf

DATE 9-May-09

# of fish 60 sampled out of 1,135,054
Is it just me or did they really only sample .00005286092 of the total fish in the pen REALLY WOW that is AWESOME

ADULT FEMALE(with eggs)= 0.02 = 22,701.08 lice x Say (100) Just for the lowest number would be hmmmm 2,270,108 new lice

FEMALE (w/o eggs)=0.05 x 1,135,054 = 56,752.70 lice if they don't have eggs they will or did Correct? if the did already hatch eggs or are going to that would be (again low numbers) 56752.70 X 100= 5,675,270

other facts
# Reproduction:

* Male locate on anterior, dorsal site of fish; fertilized females locate primarily behind adipose and anal fins,
One mating fertilizes several egg sacs,
* Egg sacs are chain of fertilized eggs; larvae develop inside the egg sac; even if egg sac is removed; fully developed egg sacs with ready to hatch larvae are dark brown,
* 6 sets of egg sacs can be produced by one female in 50 days at 14oC; oviducts are filled with eggs while egg sacs are still attached,
* no. of eggs per egg sac is related to length of egg sac; egg sac of wild salmon are often longer and contain more eggs, egg sac length increases in late fall, early winter.

# Life cycle:

* Time from extrusion of egg sacs to eclosion (hatching): 5.5 to 40 days, depending on the temperature (shortest time at warmer temperature); L. salmonis 10-12 days at 11.5oC; C. elongatus 8 days at 10oC;
* 2 nauplii stages; non-feeding, positive phototactic; nauplii I 9 -52 hours; nauplii II 17 - 35.6 hours depending on water T (5 - 15oC);
* 1 free-living copepodid stage attaches to fish and becomes parasitic; actively positively phototactic;
* infection rate of fish kept at 0 - 4 m depth is 40 higher than fish kept at greater depth,
* attachment of copepodids affected by light, salinity, hydrodynamic factors
* 4 attached chalimus stages; *** differentiation in chalimus IV
* generation time (from nauplii I to gravid female): at 9 -12oC about 40 (males)-52 (females) days.
* Survival:
* adult sea lice survive up to 22 days off the host,
* copepodids remain infective for 4-6 days at 15oC,
* life span in freshwater: 21 days; have been seen on migrating salmon 70 km inland;
* life span on host in seawater 75 days at 9- 10oC; 191 days at 7.4oC; C. elongatus survived 260 days on arctic char,
* nauplii survive best in sea water; copepodids at 15‰; survival of copepodids is higher at 15oC than at 5oC;
* eggs survive and hatch at 15‰ but survival of nauplii is nil; complete development only at #8805;30‰

# Pathological effects on salmonids

* copepodids cause local reaction visible as small black spot; feeding activity of chalimus causes small local erosion; more extensive erosions are caused on the dorsal fin of sea trout,
* adults graze with an non-selective rasping apparatus; there is no evidence of secretions,
* pathogenic effect increases with the size, mobility and number of the parasites,
* L. salmonis causes more damage than C. elongatus,
* Lesions are can be most severe in head region, with deep erosion occurring,
* Plasma sodium and cortisol (stress level) increase, hematocrit, lymphocytes and plasma protein levels decrease;
* Non-specific, innate resistance in coho. Higher resistance is associated with protease activity in mucus (serine and metalloprotease).
* limited cellular and humoral immune response. Immunity, induced experimentally by antibodies to lice gut antigen, reduced fecundity of females but does not prevent infection.
* Injection with cortisol increased resistance in smolt,
* it has been suggested that sea lice can transmit furunculosis, vibriosis, infectious salmon anemia virus, bacterial kidney disease,
* sea lice infestations increase stress and susceptibility to other diseases; cause starvation, reduce growth, cause mortality, reduce carcass quality, increase secondary infections (cold water sores) and cause expenses for treatments.

Picture002-1.jpg

Alexandra has it wrong.

Salmon companies do not import eggs into BC from Norway. All the companies have captive broodstock which have originated from stock within the country. All eggs are sourced locally not imported. Sorry Alex, what else do you have wrong?

i wouldn't pull the stats card sockeye. The stats certainly go against farms!

Back