Camping around Esperanza and Nuchatlitz information wanted

Redfisher

Looking for information on any possibilities to drive as close as possible to the ocean side of Esperanza. We want to try fishing Esperanza and Nuchatlitz this year for a week or so and would like to use a camper as our base. Would prefer not to have to travel to Tahsis or Zeballos each day...trying to get closer to the actual outside fishing areas. Any and all advice on possible camping places up there appreciated. (Have a place to tie up at Port Eliza and a place to stay at Rugged Point with use of a truck to commute) but still like the thought of using a camper as the base. Would launch boat at Tahsis or Gold River and run it out.

I have but would prefer some input from someone who knows the area and where others have camped in the past.

I've seen it done but the people doing it didn't look any too comfortable or happy-crashing in the Salal & Blackberries with zip for moorage isn't most people's idea of a good trip.

Why not check the kayak site for info on camping spots if anyone would know it'd be them.

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/

there is no place close to the fishing in Esperanza and Nuchatlitz that you can drive a camper to. Nuchatlitz is a small cove in the middle of Nootka island. Half of esperanza is also part of the island and the other side has nothing. If you would like to be close to the action then you will need to rent and boat to a cabin (http://www.nootka.ca/). its that or camp on a kayak spot.

Why not base out of tahsis camp ground? not that far of a drive in the morning. what time of the year are you going? Last year in August, tons of salmon as close as half hour from tahsis.

Looking for information on any possibilities to drive as close as possible to the ocean side of Esperanza. We want to try fishing Esperanza and Nuchatlitz this year for a week or so and would like to use a camper as our base. Would prefer not to have to travel to Tahsis or Zeballos each day...trying to get closer to the actual outside fishing areas. Any and all advice on possible camping places up there appreciated. (Have a place to tie up at Port Eliza and a place to stay at Rugged Point with use of a truck to commute) but still like the thought of using a camper as the base. Would launch boat at Tahsis or Gold River and run it out.

Tuta Marina.
Drive in 20 minutes past Cougar creek.
Showers freezers moorage camping.
They are in Hanna channel.
2 minutes from Camel rock or San Carlo.
Very casual.
They have a website and are sometimes hard to get hold of but give it a try.

there is no place close to the fishing in Esperanza and Nuchatlitz that you can drive a camper to. Nuchatlitz is a small cove in the middle of Nootka island. Half of esperanza is also part of the island and the other side has nothing. If you would like to be close to the action then you will need to rent and boat to a cabin (http://www.nootka.ca/). its that or camp on a kayak spot.

Why not base out of tahsis camp ground? not that far of a drive in the morning. what time of the year are you going? Last year in August, tons of salmon as close as half hour from tahsis.

Trying to cut down on the running time a bit on the boat. The more I look at the area the more I recognize I need a bigger boat with sleeping amenities. Note to self-Don't sell your big boat and expect to be 100% happy with a smaller one:)

Tuta Marina.
Drive in 20 minutes past Cougar creek.
Showers freezers moorage camping.
They are in Hanna channel.
2 minutes from Camel rock or San Carlo.
Very casual.
They have a website and are sometimes hard to get hold of but give it a try.
It might end up being where we get to. I don't like Cougar Creek in the summer as it is just too busy for me. I want to go for a week or more and have family come and go and we all like fishing away from crowds so that is why the northern portion of the area has appeal.

We camped in Tahsis last August, was a nice flat calm run out every morning.(15 minutes you're at Saltery Bay) We too wondered if there was someplace closer. At some point we may book a cabin at Flynn's Cove(boat access only), which is right across from Centre Island. Then you're basically at the fishing grounds.
Also stayed at Tuta a few years back. And as Samnjoe said, its casual, and two minutes from Camel Rock.

Hope you have a great week out there!

There are 3 - 2700's for sale now. $79K, and 2 at $89K all US dollars. That one you looked at would have been a steal!

It is all relative to one's income:) We are going to camp at Friendly Cove. Can't wait until we get there....counting days:)

We have boated out Esperanza and boat camped at Garden Pt.; and Rosa island. You can pay to stay at Rogers. They are on the outside.
Tahsis and Zeballos are the closest points to car camp.
Good luck.

Back