Campbell River Reports 2014

Back in the late 80's there would be 300-500 boats
out there. Boats mooching, some jigging and most
trolling with deep sixes, remember them?

Fished the Green Can today but only got there around 10:30am. Caught one barely legal spring, released 2 undersized, lost another (probably undersized). 130' deep. I didn't think the fishing was that good today, only saw a few nets but not that many considering how many boats were out there.

I fished the green can last night, we kept 6 and released a couple of more. I was getting them a 40ft in 60 ft of water. I moved out of the pack to get a bit of space and it paid off for us.

I have seen a fair number of plugs being fished at the Green Can.
I have had ,or my fishing buddy has had, luck out there in the past week with plugs, 4" chrome and blue spoons and blue meanie, michael jackson and green with black spatterback hootchies.
We are catching 2:1 keepers vs. shakers. The gaff release technique I learned on this site is very efficient.
No rhyme or reason on the flashers. Green, Gold Betsy and Purple Haze have all been seeing action.
When the bite is on it doesn't seem to matter what you are dragging.

For those jealous of the Salmon Capital of the World, all I can say is "Know your limit and play within it!"

Fished the Green can from about 5-9:45. Picked one up right away on a spoon then deadsville for us for the next 3 hrs. Fished plugs for a while and had no takers except for a dogfish. As soon as the sun went behind Quadra we picked one up right away and missed about 4 others, all on hoochies. Fish were being picked up sporadically all night from what I could tell there wasn't much of a bite until just before dark.

Managed to get one in the boat this AM at the hump, seems like it has slowed down out there. Was real snotty out there this morning only fished one line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fished hump today but got skunked. Released a shaker and a couple of dogs. Fishing by myself with one line only (very snotty). Saw a few fish caught though.

Wind was down so I gave it a try after work with the wife. One bite (180' in 350' of water, green/white spoon, green flasher) but no hook up and it was tough keeping the two rigger lines organized while politely asking my wife to pay attention where she is steering instead of driving around in circles…. Wind picked up again around 19:30 and I bailed for the ramp. All in all a very nice way to spend a Friday afternoon.

Just got back from fishing the hump today. Got there around 10am, left at 4:30. Landed one spring at the end of the day and released one under-sized and one wild coho. Overall slow for me. I did see a few fish caught so some guys were doing better than I did but I wouldn't call it hot fishing. Lots of boats on father's day. Windy in the morning and early afternoon but died down by mid afternoon. Spring caught at 200' on hootchie.

One observation: I see very few guys releasing fish. I've seen very small fish being netted (smaller than 62 cm for sure) and landed today. They can't be all hatchery coho...

One hit for us today, 23lb spring around noon, right on the hump in 135 feet water with a hootchie and flasher. We did manage a legal ling jigging and our limit of crab

Does the make and model of the little fish matter? I assumed if a salmon is feeding they will eat whatever is small enough to fit in their mouths.. herring, needlefish, smolts etc.

Back