Campbell River Reports 2014

Fished the green can today. 1 Coho and a 12lb spring. Threw back some jacks and also some just legal springs as looking for that big fish. Probably close to 80 boats around the can.

At the dock spoke to the crell surveyor and he says the big northern Coho"s are starting to show in the north, Green Sea area. Most boats today he said had Sockeye or smaller Coho but very few springs coming in

/fishon

Jigged near the Green Can on Thursday. Got a 12 lb spring, 23 lb spring and a nice coho. Lost a couple of coho as well. The springs are very fresh and silver and gave more of a dance than the coho did. The bigger spring came out of the water right into the side of the boat - just missed the downrigger ball. A couple more inches and I could have just pulled him aboard cause he would have knocked himself out!!!! Hoping to try again today.

I am still news to the CR fishing game. When you mention your were jigging. Can you elaborate what you are doing? I would like to try this with my kids. Sounds like a lot of fun.
What type of gear are you using?

Thanks

I'm pretty new to the area and recently got a boat. I've found the hump at kitty coleman but where is the green can? I was going to try take the family out tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

I'm heading to stay at Hollyhock on Cortes from Wednesday to Sunday for a conference and boating there(of course!). I'm sure I'll be able to sneak away to drop the lines a few times. I've fished the green can, which would be a short run, but any recent action closer to the Southern tip of Cortes Island? A PM with any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I've only fished these waters once before and had a great time doing it. Will be on the water in blue 17' Harbercraft w grey canopy. Weather looks good so far.

Bite was at the lighthouse yesterday morning for bright mid teeners. Nothing at the hump or can. Zip. Hootchies 150' quick trip with the wife. Always fun checking out new turf. back home now so can't tell you what's up moving forward.

I am still news to the CR fishing game. When you mention your were jigging. Can you elaborate what you are doing? I would like to try this with my kids. Sounds like a lot of fun.
What type of gear are you using?

Thanks

bugleemup, we were just off the SE tip of Quadra Island in 60-100 ft of water at slack tide. Rods over the side with 6 oz jigs on - free spool the line until the jig hits bottom then set your drag/tension. Lift your rod tip up quickly (so the jig comes up from the bottom 4 or 5 ft) and let it down again. We used the fish finder and would bring the jig up to any depth we saw fish (rather than being near the bottom). That's simplified jigging instructions. Hope it helps and you have a good time with your kids.

bugleemup, we were just off the SE tip of Quadra Island in 60-100 ft of water at slack tide. Rods over the side with 6 oz jigs on - free spool the line until the jig hits bottom then set your drag/tension. Lift your rod tip up quickly (so the jig comes up from the bottom 4 or 5 ft) and let it down again. We used the fish finder and would bring the jig up to any depth we saw fish (rather than being near the bottom). That's simplified jigging instructions. Hope it helps and you have a good time with your kids.

What kind of jigs were you using?

We were out at the lighthouse for the last couple of hours of the ebb.
Lots of action. Boat was fubar, running all sorts of weird non-traditional flashers etc.
Still had a blast.
Green seas was very slow, although we did pick up a very nice bright sox.
Cool mornings and hot afternoons, it's all good!

Fished the orange and green can for about 8 hrs yesterday. 1 13lb Chinook. Going north today for a change of scenery and hopefully some more bites.

Back