Campbell River Reports 2014

We spent the afternoon north of the narrows looking for sockeye on Saturday, no love for us and the only fish we saw caught was a commercial trawler. We didn't make up till 11 and talked to a couple guys and they did well but were up at deepwater at 6;30. We did manage our limit of crab so pretty good overall.

lines in the water @ deepwater @ 630 - had 11 in the boat by 8. bite died off a bit and took till 9 to get the last one. mp-15 hootchies @ 60-90 feet produced. bite was on fire first thing, then died after the tide turned.

Thanks for the recent reports. I thought the flood was the best time to fish Deepwater/Separation head? We are heading up Tuesday, will report back.

yes I'd always thought deepwater was better on the flood, but the reports were that it was hot so away we went. certainly paid to give it a try, otherwise was gonna head up to Chatham or something

yes I'd always thought deepwater was better on the flood, but the reports were that it was hot so away we went. certainly paid to give it a try, otherwise was gonna head up to Chatham or something

Provided the Ebb is big enough it generates a back eddy that concentrates fish in deepwater and pulls them past Sep Head, the same applies at Plumper Bay.... An ebb that is too slow to generate these back eddies is definitely the worst tide for fishing Socks, Pinks, and Chum North of the Narrows.

fished deep water today. Landed 7 socks, lost another 4. Was there early around 6:30am. Good bite in morning and then was spotty from 8:00 on.

Has anyone fished Green Sea for socks ? Any reports. I saw a few boats heading there today.

Fished BB yesterday, 9:30 til 3 or so. Tried Deepwater/Separation Head, lots of light hits, landed 2 sox in the 6 pound range. I'd say fishing was slow/fair as quite a few boats had nets out. 70 to 80 feet, green flasher with small pink hootchies, 18" leader. SOme of the guys we talked to at the launch were there at daybreak and limited in wither Deepwater or Plumper.......early bird gets the Sockeye I guess!!

Fished Deepwater Bay this morning-100 minutes-12 sockeye and lost 5. 4 lines-90 and 70; 80 and 60. All 4 were hitting fish.

Pink hootchies-good times!

Fished tight circles inside Separation Head, Deepwater Bay, this morning 06:30 - 07:30.
Incredible amount of boats inside the closed line.
DFO inflatable shows up, people start gently trolling towards the line.
We are running the line and someone is pushing us south, tell him about DFO and the closed line, he replies they are busy with other boats!!
Wow! Big DFO boat shows up after we have tubbed out 8 sox in about an hour. All depths hitting, 45, 55 and 90.
Got to be there before the sun hits the water at around 7:30.
Fishing may have been slightly hotter in the closed area, but really????? We were done and gone in an hour!

The last 2 days have had to be the best fishing I've had north of the Narrow since I moved to CR in 199?. Socks galore and to boot we hooked 2 decent Northerns today, one we thought was a Spring (Dogbreath knows what I mean) definitely high teens or ?? He went back to Spawn but really gave my Son a workout on the MR3. I think that is the most I have seen that reel whine since I bought it. Socks were fatter yesterday, smaller today.

Good to hear!! I have a buddy coming over from Van for the long weekend going to head up that way. When will the sockeye fishing be good till?

I understand there are some really nice chinooks being caught off the green can. Guess sockeye fever has got most of you hooked. :)

I am pretty sure I will be able to catch some chinooks for the next three years. Sox however...
We also do not have a nice winter sox fishery etc...
Nothing wrong with a little sockeye fever, where's the cowbell?

But 30 and 40 pound fish being caught at green can. Some people have never caught a Tyee and here is an opportunity for them. Sockeye highly over rated

Good to hear!! I have a buddy coming over from Van for the long weekend going to head up that way. When will the sockeye fishing be good till?

I watched Chek TV news last night about CR fishermen discussing the estimate of sockeye salmon coming in at CR..They think that the massive schools of sockeyes will go thru CR for few more weeks.....good news!

Back