Campbell/Quinsam Pinks open thursday!

h-core

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0512-Recreational: Salmon - Region 1 - Non Tidal Campbell River - Pink opening

Region 1
Campbell River and Quinsam River

Due to an anticipated large return of pink salmon to both the Campbell and
Quinsam Rivers, these rivers will open one (1) month earlier than normal.
Effective 00:01 hours July 15, 2010 until 2359 hrs September 15, 2010 the
Quinsam River and the Campbell River – downstream of the confluence with the
Quinsam River, will open to the retention of four (4) pink salmon per day.

This is an amendment to the 2009-2011 Fresh Water Salmon Supplement of the
Sport Fishing Guide and the table on page 6.

V.O.# 2010-307

Notes:
Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in non-tidal waters of
British Columbia.

Snagging or foul hooking a fish is illegal.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-
FISH

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the local Fisheries and Oceans Canada office at 250-850-5701 or Kent
Spencer the local manager at 250-286-5885.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0512
Sent July 12, 2010 at 15:53
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

quote:Originally posted by winephart

That seems early. Any sign of them in the area yet?
Saw a bunch off the Duncan Bay main bridge on Monday and Today. It's not early at all, the fish are usually getting dark by the traditional Aug 15th opening.

went out las night and caught 3 pinks using a pink buzz-bomb. Gonna get rigged for fly fishing today and see how it goes.

Pinks!. Wondering if someone could point me in the general direction on where to fish and how to fish for them. I dont want to be fishing somewhere im not supposed and dont want to look like a newb either haha. I also hear about fishing for them for off beaches. I moved to comox in dec, so this is pretty new to me. Also I 'm not much of a fly guy. Thanks! Tightlines. Lorne

Lorne - it's single barbless in the river systems. Little pink zingers or buzz bombs tend to work well if you are casting with a spinning rod. Remember to buy single hooks as those lures usually come with trebles which you will have to replace with a single hook if you are fishing in a river.
Most of our main rivers in this area have runs of pinks you can fish right there in courtenay or head over to nile creek or up north to the campbell ect.
Also beach fishing can be great but you'll either need to see the fish jumping about and then just cast into them or find out when the fish hold where in your areas and fish those time of the tide.
Find yourself a fishing buddy that already knows how to catch them and you'll be into fish in no time.

found the fish. What a fun fishery! Get the kids and wives out for that one. Friend and I played 30-40 fish and landed half that in 2 hours or so.

everywhere is, headed up above the confluence and away from the people. still a few guys up there but nothing like down below. No retention abouve the confluence but who needs pinks with a freezer full of sockeye. What a crap load of fun though!

grabbed the fly rod and went out this morning to the Campbell for some C/R pink fishing, what a blast, lost track of the # C/R,
for the most part I was using an all pink bead head doc spratley,
so much fun, going again Sunday AM with a good buddy,heck I might even keep one for the BBQ

a lot of people out fishing the river,

sad to see some are just trying to snag,some(older)guys you'd think would know better....

All of the fish I saw caught, I would argue are being flossed.
No way are all those fish that aggressive!
When you see the fly /lure around the mouth, not in the mouth are caught by flossing, the ones I caught and kept too.
Not trying to floss, leader is only about 18 inches long.
Don

Actually lots of them are biters, you just have to know what you are doing.

I am considering coming in from out of town to take the wife fishing for Pinks in Campbell River in mid-August. Where is the best place to park (safely and legally) and access the river?

chromesweetchrome said it all. i see many flyfishers foul hooking fish also. and yes those fish are aggresive. i am also a fly fisherman and i spin cast on the river have done so for many years. today after work went down to the river 4 nice pinks all hooked in the mouth. it was a great evening. nice to see all the kids catching fish.

quote:Originally posted by Blitzkrieg

I am considering coming in from out of town to take the wife fishing for Pinks in Campbell River in mid-August. Where is the best place to park (safely and legally) and access the river?

Right on the side of the main road with all the other vehicles. Follow the highway until you come to the logging road bridge about half a mile from town & start right there. Doesn't matter if you go up or downstream, there will be thousands of fish everywhere. Good luck & have fun.

Go at high tide if you want to see thousands of fresh fish pushing in, other than that, doesn't really matter.....there are so many fish around the bite goes on all day. One thing to consider is there can be a lot of snaggers at certain times & places, so it might be better to go first thing & get the fish while they are still fresh & haven't been hooked or jigged yet. Still can't understand why anyone would want to intentionally snag these fish when so many of them are willing biters. We fished from 7-noon and the fish never really stopped biting. There were little lulls here & there but for the most part it was pretty consistent. We changed spots a couple of times but it didn't really seem to matter.....where ever we went we caught fish.

Back