Camera advice wanted

Redfisher

Looking to add 1-2 cameras this summer to capture some of the moments on the boat. Don't like how my I phone is always wet out there.

2 thoughts in mind:
1. something to take the "trophy" picture. Needs to be able to be out in the elements.
2. something for fishing videos which I could give to friends as a memory. Could be a fixed unit on boat something like "Black Jack" uses for his yearly video.

I am not a camera bluff so simpler is better. I do have computer skills though. Not looking for the latest and greatest as $$$ is a factor. Would also buy used to try out and see how it goes.

I see some great pictures and videos here...advice appreciated

I would think there would be some used GoPros out there that are still decent. They come out with a new model every year pretty much so I'm sure some people upgrade every year. Hard to beat GoPro for a camera that is fixed on the boat. The ones from the last few years are waterproof, little wind noise, can float with the "lifejacket", and pretty darn good picture quality.

I’ve got my GoPro mounted under my roof covering the entire deck side to side. It’s great. I’ve got it hard wired with a remote so the minute I get a fish the tapes rolling. The quality is cinamatic. The only issue is editing later and deciding what to use and what the cut

Used GoPros. They’re cheap and plentiful. I’ve got them all over my boat and even one on my landing net. Shop for used and you can get a pretty good deal and a lot of extras like sd cards, mounts, batteries and cases ect. Plus if you buy them used it’s not too big of a hit if you drop one overboard.

Like the used GoPro idea mounted on the roof with a remote. Need to know more about memory card sizes or other accessories I should be aware of that suit a boat environment.

Any suggestions for a simple camera for the photograph piece?

Think we are planning on unloading one of our backup cameras. It is a Canon 70D with lens etc. PM me if you are interested in going with a more 'versatile' camera compared to a Gopro :)

Pentax DSLR are weather proofed. Ricoh makes a very good waterproof point and shoot.
If you are used to using your phone just get an Otter Box.
Also consider getting a power gimbal to smooth out video.
Go pros are good for mounted positions but the wide angle can be problematic.

My dji Mavic Pro Drone, works great .....
PS ; if anyone wants a free 15-60 min vid of their ride, maybe offer me a fishing trip and it could be worked out haha

This is to keep it very easy and simple - buy a Gopro session5 nice and small longer battery life then the newer and older brands
it has no back screen, just push the button once and it starts recording push it again it stops no need to turn it on scroll through
and waste time at the epic shot, link it to your cell phone so you can see what your taping, push record on your cell phone,
scroll through on your cell phone to view pics on the gopro and push download and it takes a split second to download.

When it's mounted to the boat for fish on pics put the settings on 1440 p 60frames per second this will give you more
height in your video, thats what i set mine at and netting and fighting is all caught

Don't buy the older models as there in a case and the sound quality is trapped, sound horrible that's why most old video's
were overlaid with music, the new one are crisp and no case needed UNLESS your going deeper then 20-30' check on depth.

I take a lot of pics with my iphone it is an unreal camera @ 12 mega pixels Gopro's top line Hero6 is only 12 meg pixels

Buy a life proof case with the cell phone, your water proof now

Session 5 nice and small easy one button, Longer battery life trust me thats huge, if you want simple.

Big Slr's on a boat i always worried about it getting banged up

upload_2018-3-26_9-28-31.pngupload_2018-3-26_9-27-52.png upload_2018-3-26_9-27-52.png upload_2018-3-26_9-28-31.png

Unless your really into photography go the next level in gear, otherwise stick to simple, i've seen many people get so
excited in wanting to gopro and it ends up collecting dust, it's a lot of work when you watch someones video
getting that epic shot or video, download and start video editing cutting and chopping, lots to think about

sometimes the good old cell phone is enough great video and pics

I have a cheapo action pro chinese knock off gopro that works great ($50) for what I need it for on my boat and fly fishing pontoon boat, comes with the mounts and water proof case. its just gonna get beat on in weather conditions and boat/outdoor activities.

I like the Fuji brand underwater cameras for snorkeling and anything around the water - takes HD video and not too expensive either

Back