CA - Salmon smolt slaughter irks local skipper

Sushihunter

http://www.marinij.com/sports/ci_12322308

California

Fish wrap: Salmon smolt slaughter irks local skipper

Staff Report
Posted: 05/07/2009 08:52:59 PM PDT

Morning Star Skipper Gordon Hough says the salmon smolt slaughter is under way again.

Or, as Hough put it in a letter of protest, "spring is here and the Fish & Game's Annual Salmon Buffet is in full swing."

The veteran bay charter boat skipper has watched as pens of baby fish are towed to the bay "where the stunned salmon are released to the delight of seemingly every gull and striped bass in San Francisco Bay.

"Further, if the water's too rough they just back the truck up to the shore and let them go. Either way the results are the same. The salmon, stunned from the truck ride, water salinity and temperature change, linger on or near the surface," easy prey for striped bass and birds. "Why not let the salmon go at night?" Hough wondered. "I'm sure the bass wouldn't get as many, and the birds wouldn't get any at all."

After talking with hatchery truck personnel, Hough believes that smolts have become "a wasted resource" because either "the people in charge of this project couldn't care less whether these salmon survive" or "any fishery restoration must take place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m." to accommodate state employee schedules.

Hough advocates establishing alternative sites and times of the day to release hatchery smolts. He notes it would be wise to inform wardens of release schedules because "I'm sure they would love to meet the gleeful shore fishermen I have seen dragging over-limits of bass back to their cars." He noted anglers congregate to hook stripers

when the bass move in to slaughter the smolts.
In short, Hough concluded that "simple changes" would give salmon a fighting chance for survival.

"Our entire estuary stands near collapse, and the stewards we've employed for its resurrection seemingly couldn't care less."

Two years ago, after I hammered fishery officials for the salmon smolt debacle, Marin Assemblyman Jared Huffman stepped in, met with top fishery brass, and triggered changes, including use of an alternating release site. It's time to give the fish brass another goosing, review the program again, determine whether improvements are needed, see if more release sites can be developed, and find out why hatchery personnel refuse to work at night.

With poor runs prompting officials to cancel the salmon season for the second year, our smolts are more important than ever.

E-mail IJ reporter Nels Johnson at ij.civiccenter@gmail.com or call 479-8042.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

It's a shame to see a lot of hard work getting those fish to that stage and have it wasted by laziness. When I was in Alaska we used to put the fish into net pens acclimate them for a month then release them at night on an out going tide. I am sure they can't leave the fish that long, but atleast as was suggested they could put them into the nets early in the day then release after dark giving the fish time to recover.

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

It's a shame to see a lot of hard work getting those fish to that stage and have it wasted by laziness. When I was in Alaska we used to put the fish into net pens acclimate them for a month then release them at night on an out going tide. I am sure they can't leave the fish that long, but atleast as was suggested they could put them into the nets early in the day then release after dark giving the fish time to recover.
I have to agree with sckeyefry. There's reasonably easy ways around this. Letting little amounts of fish out at a time = maybe even using buckets and a skiff to drop these smolts off in sheltered locations.

quote: but atleast as was suggested they could put them into the nets early in the day then release after dark giving the fish time to recover.

They could even set up timers to release the fish in the dark if they are not willing to be there.

Take only what you need.

Government employees are good human beings with the very best of intentions regardless their political orientation. They make good friends and amiable companions, are intelligent and bright, usually tending to be lucid when warmed up.

It's when you put more than two in a room to formulate policy or policy recommendations they show the lowest common denominator flaws and stupidity obvious in most of government during the short time they have to actually put in a day's work.

Good Luck in CA

I'm sure their are a ton of fisherman in the area that would be very happy to volunteer their time and babysit the fish until night time and then release them on an outgoing tide. It may upset the workers union but the end result would be more salmon in the ocean for everyone.A lot of times it is the simplest grass roots solutions that make all the difference

Back