bus bar or fuse box

tubbed out

SO my battery is starting to look like an octopus and I want to clean things up . Should I add a fuse box or buss bar ??

any other thoughts ???

thanks
tubbed

Well thats a can of worms isn't it. The boats I have done 17-20 feet, I run a couple of welding cables up to a location under the dash or where ever. Then from there to a fuse block, then back to the switches and loads . Cleans every thing up nicely and if a fuse pops I know where to go.No tracing of wires, fuse holders.
There are a hundred diffrent ways though, i just don't personally like a rats nest off the battery. Just my 2 cents. Dan

from working with vehicles in nasty conditions, I agree with Dan, get some heavy gauge welding cable, run it up out of the way and put your fuse box there.

Monty

Only other suggestion is if you are running the heavy wire more than a foot, put a fuse on it at the battery. If you run the cable without a fuse to the front of the boat and have a short, you could burn the boat.

I would look at something like a Blue Seas Bus Bar or the Blue Seas Fuse Block depending on your fuse setup and get all the wires off the battery. There is some good info on jamestowndistributors.com about the setup.

Blue Seas from Trotac is the way to go. I rewired my entire boat last winter. Removed all original breakers and went to blade type fuses in 2 panels. Everything is labeled and only wires to battery are the main harness to battery switch..only exception is the auto bilge wire. I didn't run the Scotty wires up front, instead bought 3 individual watertight blade fused holders and mounted them aft, keeping the wires as short as possible. Also went to 10 gauge wire for the riggers. All the riggers retrieve 15 lb leads much faster now.

Too many connections off the battery can actually limit the amount of charge getting from the alternator to the battery as you don't get the same tight connection.

I did an Dan suggested and added a fuse panel with all the connections labeled -- and put it in a place that is easy to access.

I've also completely isolated my house and starter battery with a Blue Seas ACR that has paid for itself now a couple of times.

Also invest in a spray can of Boshield T-9 and spray it on all of your electrical connections and fuses. It coats them and keeps the water off. Was recommended to me by an airplane mechanic.

TenMile
<'((((><

I have 2 fuse blocks-one fore and one aft.And unless you have grounded your aluminum boat to the neg. terminal, then I wouldn't worry about fusing your feeder cables(the big ones).

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

I wouldn't use welding cables. I bought all my wire at a place on Alpha St..wholesales prices...same side of road as Starbucks maybe 300 feet down the road. All the cable I used is marine grade, galvenized copper. I only want to do it once!!! They have all the good wire ends (connectors) of all sizes and colours as well. (up to #1 or #2) They cut to lenght, just add up all your requirements ahead of time. Cheaper than Trotac, in fact I think many of the retailers get there wire from these guys.

I thought it was just a 3 letter name, not a word thou...example MIV not sure was last spring. They are just down from Starbucks close to the sidewalk. They have a couple bays doors coming out to a side parking lot.

ECS on alpha street rollie and its right beside murrays automotive thats where I got my propane conversion for my truck done.

Wolf

There you go, I didn't have to open the phone book.

Back