Brown's Bay

Fished Greensea the past couple days and the chums are starting to show but still lots of pinks and coho. Got a nice 15lb fresh buck down deep. About a dozen boats fishing Deepwater on the run south so I imagine they're starting to roll down. Doubt it'll be as crazy as last year. Just stupid good.

Honestly I think you can still pick up every species right now. Released a couple nice wild coho's, guy beside me was hitting springs down deep, I hit a couple chums, but lots of pinks still. As far as gear to use, that's up to you. Many boats were using small pink stuff, I ran a blue/green hootchie down deep, but mainly hit the pinks/coho shallow at around 30-60'.

Nice to hear. I will be heading that way next weekend.
Great gear up date. Much appreciated N2013.

Small squirts with some of the legs pulled out. As far as colour, try pink, add some black or blue. I've had them hit spring gear, anchovies, skinny g's, etc as well. Sockeye gear seems to be an easy go-to. Look for finning fish/tide lines and GO SLOW!! Then try to go slower. Cable is almost vertical. There's a good thread on this fishery on last years reports I think. It really is a fun fishery and smokes up great!

finally got most of my chores done and am gonna wet a line up north of the narrows. destination unknown at this point, anywhere from separation head to green sea. any recent reports? i also caught wind of a commercial opening next couple of days. any truth to that? can't find anything online.gonna also target lings. will report upon my return.

I've seen a couple of mentions of the odd chum at Greensea or Plumper over the last week or so, but not a lot of intel that I can find so far. Would think it should be starting any time. Heard of some good catches of summer run chum over in Quatsino this year which is somewhat unusual, so hopefully that bodes well for the inside run.

I believe seiners go on Monday the 2nd and the Tuesday after thanksgiving weekend, but troll openings are all over. Not sure re: gillnet.

finally got most of my chores done and am gonna wet a line up north of the narrows. destination unknown at this point, anywhere from separation head to green sea. any recent reports? i also caught wind of a commercial opening next couple of days. any truth to that? can't find anything online.gonna also target lings. will report upon my return.

pretty sure lings and rockfish are closed for the year.

Late report:
started later than i wanted due to fog; hunted around the hump and light ; released a barely under chinook. when the fog lifted headed to separation head / deep water bay, bit of a bite ( not for me ) passed a guy real close and he proudly held up a pink ( good on him better than i did ) so i pulled the pin and headed north to greensea. i was the only boat there for a spell. my oh my after that flood was the salad awful. lots of bigger fish jumping but not taking. chatter on the radios around, some guys picking up some chum and one guy sed he picked up a couple smaller chinook. too slow for me. grew disinterested and headed to the narrows to pick up a ling before the tide change. released an under. it's slow right now. will probably pick up after this weekends rain.

edit: i forgot to mention the fact i got sunburnt and the water was flat as a lake. beauty day on the water

We fished all day on Saturday starting at Deepwater and then on to Greensea. No luck so we worked our way up to Chatham Point where we discovered at least a dozen boats. Still nothing so we went back to Separation Head where we had a double header that we weren't lucky enough to successfully conclude. We used silver Dodgers and on one side the leader was short and long on the other. Both fish hit at exactly the same time. Nice day for a boat ride.

Too bad, it sounds slow. Seeing anyone else pulling in chum or jumpers? I would think it would be happening by now if we are going to be in for a good chum year.

Seines fished yesterday. About a 1500 fish average which is not great.
Good news was that there was better fishing in the afternoon in Upper Straits and North Shore of Malcolm Island. Hopefully start of run. Fish are bigger average than last 2 years.

Back