Browns Bay

My wife and I will be staying at browns bay Saturday night . will be there to fish the afternoon Saturday and sunday . Look us up 18"6 DBL eagle pumpkin orange of coarse. hoping the wind isn't bad with the storm coming in in case we need to run to green sea instead of deepwater. Any updates appreciated will post on our return.
Dave

Likely we will also be coming up for a go on Sunday (weather permitting) 21.5 Campion "Change 'Em Up". Probably would head up to green sea or chatham as I've had better luck further up this time of year in the past.

Anyone heard if the northern coho are still sticking around up there?

One chrome 12 lb chum off Sayward yesterday just as the second rod went down, Fish on the sounder but no more takers. Green flasher and MP 15. Zero jumpers. I'll be out again tomorrow.

A chum and a coho yesterday. Saw a few jumpers. Both fish were bright.

Two hours on the flood at sep head on Saturday... Nothing.. 3 hours on Morning ebb at plumper with about 8 boats, saw 3 hooked. Some pods of jumpers.. very slow

Spent the day at deep water, not much on the sounder or jumping. Caught 2 coho and one shaker spring, 2 other long line releases.

Well heres my report of our two day trip to browns. Got out Saturday at about 11am went straight to green sea. never been that far up but reports were very bad for plumper and deep water. At the docks and everyone we met the story was the same coho but very; very few chum. At Green sea there were about 30 boats already there as the tide was earlier than we arrived. we stayed until 4pm after the tide swing. talked to about half dozen boats as we went by the story was the same on every boat no fish and none seen caught. On Friday the killer whales had gone through and then the dolphins were running back and forth from chatam Pt.to the narrows and back several times during Saturday. They said although the wouldn't eat the salmon the do chase the bait and the salmon generally steer clear when there around so the definitely affected the fishing. the sun was out and it was a flat calm day so it wasn't so bad. about half the boats at greens sea were guide boats.
Sunday we got up to dense fog. It scared a lot off the water as visibility was at times down to 100 yards. took our chances and used the navi to head back up to green sea. Deep water in my opinion was going to be bad as right out front we ran through the 200 or so dolphin all over the place for about a mile from deepsea to the end of Quadra. We got up to green sea at about 9 am and after about 20 minutes found the one and only other boater crazy enough to be out in the pea soup. when we got there he had 2 ho's already on board . The fog broke about an hour later chum started jumping ever where and a bite did come on. We managed a wild coho and one chum and had about 5 other hits. the whole time we were there we were the only 2 with the exception of a long line trawler that fished the top edge of green sea. As far as I know the other boat had his 3 limit of ho's as we saw him release at least 3 others. Afet 1pm we spoke again and they didn't have a chum to that point. We did see him afterwords get a couple though as he sure had the hot hand over us. Im sure they boated a total of 6 before we left the area about 2:30. seemed to be using Mp15's we had on the glow head pink /blue squirt. that's the only thing we could get hits on. googlie eye and mp15's didn't work for us. 3 lines out always 50'-85'. When we arrived at the dock fish counter was there said we were the 14th boat in so far and the only ones with fish !!!! yikes! Glad to hear some others got fish and hope it improves for the derby. On the way back from Green sea we stopped to again watch the Dolphin show the were putting on an arobatic show better than any zoo show with a 1/2 mile of dophins jumps in triples and doing flips and the likes. It was good but for all concerned I hope they head out so fishing can improve. good luck to all in the derby.

Chum were around last week, but aren't now.
The commies may have taken whatever was there. Word now is that test sets north of Chatham are promising, so by next weekend things should be good.
We tried a river on Sunday for grins, the kid hooked and landed 4 spp of salmon for a total of 8 played, I played 1. We let them all go due to non-retention regs in place, and the lone chum landed was nasty.
Tried Deepwater this morning, and got washed off the water ;-) No other boats even tried.

Tried plumper and deep water bay yesterday without a sniff. Went to green sea today and landed this 10 lb coho, green flasher pink glow head houchie. My daughter was re setting our top line (a plug) after a good hit at 30 feet when the lower rod released up at 15'. Two long line releases after that. Stopped at deep water on the ride back, lots of gill netters thinning the chum out for now. I think it will improve for the derby.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 686
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kind of wondering why you guys think it will improve for the derby which is just a few days away when the commercial guys are busy now and the recreational guys aren't catching a thing. I hope you are right.

Baddogg, I was told that there would not be a commercial opening this week - the week preceding the derby.
Crappy to hear that info was not correct.

I'm kind of wondering why you guys think it will improve for the derby which is just a few days away when the commercial guys are busy now and the recreational guys aren't catching a thing. I hope you are right.
we got two 14#chum today, tomorrow should be better.

Back