British Columbia It’s Over to You by Alexandra Mor

G

gimp

On June 25, 2009, the Strathcona Regional District rural directors opened the door to fish farming on the jugular of the B.C. coast. Every other fish farm has been sited among braided waterways, but this Grieg application is for the biggest fish farm on the B.C. coast to be lodged where 1/3 of all Canada’s Pacific salmon pass on their voyage back to us through Johnstone Strait.

Sensing some public opposition to this decision the board did consider the risks and asked Grieg to compromise. But the concessions Grieg responded with are worthless tradebeads of deception as they are either impossible or irrelevant. The media reports they offer to harvest their fish before the wild salmon migrations, but they know their fish need to be on our ocean for 22 months and ours migrate every 12 months. They say they will have zero lice, but they know this is impossible with the drugs we allow in Canada. And they say they will turn off their growlights in the spring, when they never use them anyway. I know the fish farmers and I know the governments, in fact they are often the same people. And most of all I know the fish.

There are things you cannot know when you are 20, 30, or 40 years. Every second we are alive we draw from deeper pools of experience. I know where this compromise will take us. This is how we got all the fish farms in my home-waters in the first place. Greig did what it took to get past the regional directors. They also told me tourism operators love them, that in Nootka Sound they had consulted with the operators and won their approval, but when I wrote to Nootka Sound tourism operators, the ones who answered not only had not been contacted, they did not like the farms there.

A Norwegian corporation has become gatekeeper to the Fraser, East Vancouver Island, and south coast Mainland rivers and our fish are their market competitors.

I have tried to bring reason to the BC fish farming industry for 21 years. My community has been lost. The science is done. The courts ruled the way it has been regulated is unconstitutional. The people of the BC coast are aware of the issue now. Wild salmon are failing and sea lice, diseases and massive schools of salmon predators parked in pens every few km along their migration routes are clearly not helping. Anyone who looks can see that. And yet every level of government from federal to regional favours farm salmon over wild salmon. Since this is a democracy I have to assume at this point that BC has made its choice.

There are many places on this coast that government could play with this risky business, so when I see one of the biggest farm applications ever, being handed B.C.’s primary wild salmon artery by the most local, on the ground-level of government I have to think “this is OK with B.C. This is what B.C. wants.”

The next day I watched farm smolts pour through a hose from a truck. I could see the Atlantic salmon in the translucent tube swimming above black pavement falling into the farm boat and I thought, “This is what BC has chosen.”

I thought about cool forest rivers, and what the first salmon of this coast looked like as they enter the sea. Feeding trout, birds, then whales, my children, you, and the trees that make us oxygen and stabilize our climate.

Humanity is drunk on trinkets and coins and and can no longer focus on or interpret the sheer power, generosity and our dependence on the living world that gave birth to us. Is this a fatal code embedded in our DNA to limit us, an auto kill switch, to allow the rest of life on earth a chance against us? Nature does have nasty ways of dealing with out of control species, and we must be top of her list right now.

So I’m thinking who am I to challenge our very DNA. I have no right to tell BC one salmon is better than the other. You have clearly made the choice.

So British Columbia, here is what I am going to do. I can’t sustain this effort against every level of government because no matter how thin the veneer of democracy, you did vote for them, you had the choice and you picked the people who are giving our coast to the Norwegian salmon “farmers.” If you want wild salmon in British Columbia you will need to roar all the way from Campbell River to Parliament Hill in Ottawa, because only you have the power to turn this around and let the wild life blood of this coast survive.

If I can hear you I will meet you wherever you take a stand,
but until then good luck in your decision, British Columbia it is over to you.

Picture002-1.jpg

Gimp,

Permit me to clarify a few things:

First the salmon cycle is 16 - 18 months at sea, and in some areas even as little as 14 months.

Second, If the migration period is in April, then all Grieg has to do is put smolt in in May. Since these are from freshwater hatcheries they are lice free. They will grow them till the next spring, and will treat for lice to obtain a Zero lice count for the next migration in April. They then will harvest all the fish by February, leaving the site fallowed for March and April to allow the next migration through. They then restock in May and the process repeats itself.

Third, Grieg is an active participant in the Nootka Sound Watershed Society, a group charged with the preservation iof the Nootka sound watershed area. It includes Grieg, Gold River Riod & Gun Club, Gold R Streamkeepers, M&M First nation, DFO, Area D Gill Netters Assoc. The lodge at GR, Village of Gold R, and Tahsis, Western Forest, and unfortunately onoy a few of the lodge owners. They seem to only get interested in the heatlh of the Nootka Sound when there are rumours of Conuma hatchery closing, then they pack the meetings until they get assurances that the hatchery will stay open, then they go back to killing wild salmon. Grieg assists this board both finanacially and providing expertise and resources. This year alone, Grieg was instrumental in a large spawn channel develpment at Conuma hatchery, assisted the society in transporting half a million chinook fry to rearing pens, and donated rearing pens for coho smolt production.

Fourth, The farm is an average size, and is by no means "the largest"

The SRD made the right decision, as all relevent science supports the application.

There you can see how those slick fish farmers butter and slime their way into a new area. Once they are in they show all their true disrespect and disregard for wild salmon and environment! Shame! Don't fall for the false face!

Oh I thought it was you Gimp??? Maybe you should have creditted her?

Back