Braided Line VS Stainless on Scotty's

burnsy22

I am a first time boat owner and the used boat I purchased came with 2 scotty electrics. The one was new braided line and the other had older stainless line that I am getting replaced with the low drag braided line. The boat also came with a black box, that according to the people doing the line and repairs on my down riggers, i no longer need because the braided line doesn;'t have any conductivity. Is this correct and is there any advantage or disadvantage between the two types of lines?

I was just going to go ahead and sell the black box as it appears I am going to no longer need it.

Any comments would be great...and thanks for helping this fishin noob.:D

black box is useless weather you use cable or braided, get rid of it regardless.

Braided or cable? Braided all the way. I would never go back to cable even if it was free.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Stainless........ separates the men from the boys [:p]

:D:D

No braided on lippy's boat

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

black box is useless weather you use cable or braided, get rid of it regardless.

X2

Here we go again. I have been down this road. Braided is a great idea however one of two things may occur:

1) more blowback than you are used to with wire therefore confusing your angle as it goes into the water. Anyone who maintains bait tuning by watching the angle of the dangle knows what I am talking about.

2) - and + charge will suddenly be differant than you have worked with in the past. ie. braid has no conductivity.

If you are brand new to this downrigger thing then you will never know the differance. Go with what you think you will be most comfortable with.

If you do choose braid ensure you go with the latest generation. This will be very thin diameter in comparison to the earlier stuff.

If you choose to go stainless then ensure your bonding wires are doing the trick properly. Varying voltages are effective for certain species. Look it up on google.

The black box is opening a can of worms my friend.

If you have always caught fish then I would say do not #$%^with it and just to continue with what you are doing!

Hope this helps.

HL

Like higlights said pick whatever you want BOTH have issues (Right tailspin) LOL
If you do go to wire make sure you have a really good swival on the end of it as if you done the line doesnt unwind properlly (twists) and hence you get damage ive had the same DR wire cable on my riggers for 2 yrs. i will replace for this year as its definatlly time but in 2 yrs not one cannon ball(15lbers too) lost and I would hate to imagine how many times up and down over those 2 yrs im sure its in the 1000's and many trips out.
What i use is a sampo swival I think its a #2 with a 100 lb split ring on it incase I hang up with a snap(SS or brass) on the end to connect to the ball.

good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Here is some info I have gathered on this forum about braided vs. wire. It seems to me that braided is slowly winning more converts because of its strength, longevity and ease of use.

The blackbox electrolysis can be a more tricky debate. IMO if your boat doesn't put out a negative charge or too high a positive charge I think you are OK without a black box. Commercial tollers like them. But remember they have a huge amount of gear and lines in the water and with a black box they can set up a relatively large field of positive ions around their gear. Not so much in glass boat with 2 lines in the water.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13611
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...ichpage=2&SearchTerms=braided+downrigger+line
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4696&SearchTerms=braided+downrigger+line
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...ichpage=2&SearchTerms=braided+downrigger+line

Braided vs. Steel DR Line Discussions: There are more forum discussions I could add but they all basically say the same thing. The large majority of those who have switched to braided DR line have noticed no difference in the amount of fish they have caught since switching over. They also state that they prefer the longevity and durability of braided DR line much better. Initially braided DR line was thicker and caused more blow back at greater depths, but this has been solved by newer, thinner DR lines by Power Pro, Tuff Line and now Scotty (which I have on my boat). When out coho fishing last, I noted that there was no noticeable difference in blow back between my Scotty braided DR line and the SS DR line. In reading the above forum discussions you will see that many fishing guides have switched over and report no ‘catching’ issues such as Last Chance, Tailspin, SIR, Codfather, Juandesooka, Poppa Swiss, Mornin Chubby, Sishi Hunter, Tailout, Serengeti Guide, and even Charlie!

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8619&SearchTerms=braided+downrigger+line

Black Box Discussion: – overall consensus doesn’t make much difference if your boat doesn’t already ready run too hot/high or low/negative. My boat runs naturally at about +0.65– +0.75 volts. You have to remember two things. One the lead ball is separated by a rubber snubber so the only electrolysis you get is from the black box and/or the SS DR line moving through the water. Second your lure or bait is between 10-30 ft. away from the downrigger line so how much effect does the downrigger line electrolysis really have on your lure/bait? I haven't found any info to show how far the positive
ion field radiates from the DR line to know how far this field could draw fish towards your boat.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

In reading the above forum discussions you will see that many fishing guides have switched over and report no ‘catching’ issues such as Last Chance, Tailspin, SIR, Codfather, Juandesooka, Poppa Swiss, Mornin Chubby, Sishi Hunter, Tailout, Serengeti Guide, and even Charlie!
Good post, but I just noticed "and even Charlie"?

I run Cannon Mag20 downriggers. I don't have a Black Box, but they have "Positive ION" control and a "short stop" systen. I do NOT use braid. Don't confuse my comment about using "cheap wire", as it wasn't meant as a recommendation to switch to braid, but rather don't buy cheap wire - it doesn't payoff and usually costs more in the end!

I personally use and like SS#316 7 strand WIRE!

"Stainless Steel. I will only run 7 strand 316 Stainless. If it doesn’t say 316 SS on it, save your money, buy braid! I would very much prefer braid to using cheap wire!

In the end I guess it is personal choice, but it sounds from everyone on this thread, braid is a lot more trouble than my wire? I like my wire!"
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13611&whichpage=4

Concerning the Black Box discussion guestion, it is the "zone" created around the wire. This might help, right out of my Cannon downrigger manual:
"Using Positive Ion Control: Positive Ion Control is very effective when trolling. The zone of attraction created at the downrigger wire will attract the fish. It is best to use a short drop back between the downrigger release and the lure. Drop backs of 10 to 20 ft. are typical. A drop back of 50 to 100 ft. will entirely negate the effects of the PIC circuit. Fishing depths greater than 125 ft. may require a slightly higher PIC voltage. If you return to shallow water fishing remember to turn the PIC voltage down again.

The correct PIC setting for your best fishing advantage varies, depending on fish type and location. For example, the proper setting for Puget Sound Steelhead may not be effective for Great Lakes Steelhead. To fully benefit from PIC technology, it is important that you experiment with the PIC setting to find the proper voltage for the gamefish in your area. For more information on this subject, refer to “Secrets of Fishing with Electricity” by Ollie Rode."

Hey Charlie, please don't take offence, because none was meant. I said that because while you are not a professional guide you do know a lot about fish, fishing and fishing hardware.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

Hey Charlie, please don't take offence, because none was meant. I said that because while you are not a professional guide you do know a lot about fish, fishing and fishing hardware.

"In reading the above forum discussions you will see that many fishing guides have switched over and report no ‘catching’ issues such as Last Chance, Tailspin, SIR, Codfather, Juandesooka, Poppa Swiss, Mornin Chubby, Sishi Hunter, Tailout, Serengeti Guide, and even Charlie!"
Oh no offence taken! Actually think I might even take that as a compliment, as that is some pretty good names you bunched me with!

I just don't use braid! LOL

.........meanwhile the rest of us wire using wannabes just sit here in the cold. Sorry Trev. You didn't make the list pal. LOL

All in good fun.:D

Back