Bragging Rights Photo Op

Stizzla

Crew Member
I would really like to see you (yeah I’m talking to YOU), post a pic of your best catch ever along with a story about it. Size, location etc. I’ll go first but it’s embarrasing because I just started ocean fishing this summer:

This was a 13 pound white spring and an 8lb pink I caught at the Pender bluffs this past summer. Gotta start somewhere! Not so fun fact... I lost a 25 plus at the boat the next week.

Attachments

• 867E9583-AB9F-40C8-9F9C-813681914890.png
    867E9583-AB9F-40C8-9F9C-813681914890.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 470
I would really like to see you (yeah I’m talking to YOU), post a pic of your best catch ever along with a story about it. Size, location etc. I’ll go first but it’s embarrasing because I just started ocean fishing this summer:

This was a 13 pound white spring and an 8lb pink I caught at the Pender bluffs this past summer. Gotta start somewhere! Not so fun fact... I lost a 25 plus at the boat the next week.
How did you know it was a 25 plus if you lost it? I've cought 18's that felt like tanks. I'm not trying to be an asshole but just letting you know that guessing weights, especially as a newbie, can be quite difficult. Cool thread and nice work!

Very good point. I did have it right at the boat and it really dwarfed the 13 pounder I had the week before. In the nightmares I had the entire week after it looked like a 40. It’s a major goal to catch a tyee, so I keep telling myself it wasn’t.
Deep thought: Is it better to have hooked a big fish and lost it at the boat, or never hooked up at all?!

Very good point. I did have it right at the boat and it really dwarfed the 13 pounder I had the week before. In the nightmares I had the entire week after it looked like a 40. It’s a major goal to catch a tyee, so I keep telling myself it wasn’t.
Deep thought: Is it better to have hooked a big fish and lost it at the boat, or never hooked up at all?!
Woah :eek:o_O

Got any pics to share RC?
Screenshot_20180115-220533.jpg
Ok now that I've shot my mouth off I have to. So this is my first salmon fishing experience on my own boat. They're not the biggest but BY FAR the most memorable. You can see my first boat there in the back, an 18' Maxum with obnoxious speakers and a shiny white interior. I moored the boat for the first time at Burrard Civic that year (2012) and have been there ever since. Back then I used to go out with my uncles (The Pizza Guys) and we'd jig with green zingers off the pink building and CLEAN UP. That Spring in the picture though was my first one, 17 lbs. It was so unexpected that it actually tore through the tiny net we had as we craned it over the side. I couldn't believe my eyes when it flopped onto the deck. The jigging game was awesome back then. The following year was a good pink year but spotty at best while jigging. That's when I decided to buy a bigger boat, moore it full time and learn how to use downriggers. I had never touched them before then. By the summer of 2014 I was learning how to fish with manual riggers on a new boat in the middle of the fleet of sockeye fisherman. It's been an amazing few years of learning and growing and I'm proud to say I now know the waters from False Creek to Sandheads to Mayne Island to the Hump well enough to fish with the best of them. I've learned how to prawn and how to rig up my own spreaders for fishing lings with herring. I've installed my own kicker with a custom made bracket. I've replaced electronics and toilets and torn off props. I've lost my anchor at 3 AM in a windstorm and narrowly missed the rocks. And I can honestly say it all started from THAT Spring. God do I love this place we're all so blessed to call home.

Last edited:
Here's my story, not a huge fish but a personal best that was weighed and confirmed... I can say with confidence that I caught a larger fish that was landed, netted, bonked and bled, but that's another story. I'll not share too much detail here as it can apparently rub some people the wrong way! Lol

I can neither confirm not deny (like Stanley, who's 'C' is silent), it was on or about July 28th, at approximately 5:33 PM and in the 'general vicinity' of the Kitty Coleman hump. It may or may not have been S.E of said location (way away from the crowds) in water of around 220'. It's probable that I was dragging bottom and had something on my line that somewhat resembled an RVP 500 uvbii tubby plug. The speed at which I might have been going has been lost on me but was likely around 2.1 mph.

Anyway, this broad shouldered bugger popped the line off the clip and ran steady for at least 20 seconds. A trusted friend that tried to convert me to jigging with butterfly jigs suggested putting the boat in neutral on a plug, so I did. I started to make up some ground and then the line went slack. Thankful for some seasoned experience over the years, I knew better and started taking up the slack and was reeling like a runaway train. Just as I felt a touch of resistance, this monster torpedoed out of the water at least 3 feet. It ran straight up to the surface and it showed with the breach. I'm with my son, trying to avoid the proverbial "holy f!@&$!" but was hooting and hollering anyway. The battle went back and forth, give and take. Pound for pound, toughest fighting fish I've ever experienced.

Finally start making headway and the stubborn bugger torpedoes and breaches again 3 more times within 10' of the boat, closest being about 2' away. Each time trying to mirror a tail walking, head shaking tarpon. Me hooting and hollering, my son saying "DAD, I'VE NEVER SEEN YOU THIS EXCITED BEFORE!!!" I'm thinking "no ****, neither have I!"

23 pounds on the scale.

IMG_3656.JPG

For another view, check the link here, post #112. I won't post that one here to avoid the seedy comments...

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...-cape-lazo-denman-hornby-islands.65066/page-6

I know one of the members here is the Two Tyee champ lol. Should he post pics in this thread? I'l leave it up to him

Ok I'll bite. The largest fish in my boat in 50 years of fishing which includes 32 years of guiding. 52 and 30 pounds both caught at Possession Pt in Sooke on July 4th, 2001 on a crappy day and we were one of only two boats that got out of the harbour that morning. The couple are John & Tara Collins...John was the bass player for the Aussie Band Powderfinger. John landed the 30lb fish 5 minutes into the trip then we quickly lost another. At 8:30 am Tara playing her first ever fish on her first fishing experience landed the 52. The local Possession Pt seal even grabbed it for a few seconds but let go of it...maybe to big for it to handle and it was very close to the boat at that time too. Just glad he let go of it.

Attachments

• 01July041 - Copy.jpg
    01July041 - Copy.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 602
Ok I'll bite. The largest fish in my boat in 50 years of fishing which includes 32 years of guiding. 52 and 30 pounds both caught at Possession Pt in Sooke on July 4th, 2001 on a crappy day and we were one of only two boats that got out of the harbour that morning. The couple are John & Tara Collins...John was the bass player for the Aussie Band Powderfinger. John landed the 30lb fish 5 minutes into the trip then we quickly lost another. At 8:30 am Tara playing her first ever fish on her first fishing experience landed the 52. The local Possession Pt seal even grabbed it for a few seconds but let go of it...maybe to big for it to handle and it was very close to the boat at that time too. Just glad he let go of it.

Awesome catch!! And great smiles on the faces of the fishers

Great stories fellas!
Profisher, nice photoshopping. That’s a rainbow trout!

Dam I got fooled. Wait that makes it even more impressive. A 52 pound rainbow in the ocean...beat that!!!

Haha it’s Magnificent! It is a perfect looking Chinook. They probably got a dinner or two out of those!

Last edited:
Sorry, I’ll stop busting everyone’s balls. I want people to keep posting pics!

My first ever halibut keeper. I caught one previously while trolling near Albert Head but it was out of season so back it went. When the season opened I went back to the same general area and after drifting for 30 minutes I landed this one. 126cm long and 65lbs.

IMG_2319.jpg

Nice one Newf! I just got Halibut gear over the winter, I hope my first one looks like that!

I caught this one up in Haida Gwaii. Grinding Kelp off a place called Hog Pen. The day before I lost a fish that was even bigger. It jumped out of the water within 10' of the boat. I had buck fever and forgot how to play a fish, it was over before it began. That night I was beyond depressed & could not sleep. The next day the guide from Naden Lodge put me back on a monster at the same spot. 44 lbs

Attachments

• IMG_2079.PNG
    IMG_2079.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 455
Back