bob hooton steelhead blog

..this is when soil alkalinity was consumed by extremely acidic rain had taken its toll on the beneficial soil bacteria. Only a few streams have dodged the mass distruction of the bad rain and they have buffering abillity via alkalinity or dissolved organic carbon.
Thanks for the info, Fishmyster. Why the drop in pH if (p. 7, s. 3.2 Long Term trends): "There was a highly significant increasing trend in long-term (1990–2007) annual pH and a decreasing trend in (non-sea salt) SO4 at Saturna"?
If these were the most contributing factors than streams like Megin river, Moyeaha river and Anuhatti river which have not been logged would still have pristine runs of fish which they do not. In fact they are suffering way more than some of the heavily logged areas like Devereaux creek which has been logged for many years and still have excellent productivity.
Also - why do you believe that logging would necessarily precipitate a drop in invert numbers - rather than potentially an increase?

WRT logging response - often a short-term increase in productivity related to released nutrients and increased photosynthesis. Mid to long term the more serious issues of destabilization, sediment infilling, changed hydrograph, increased stream temps, etc, etc reverse that trend.

I also am curious about the conclusion of the first paper of increasing pH. Given BC's coastal streams are typically on the acidic side and that more alkaline water bodies tend to be more productive (acidic environment is not conducive to the formation of invertebrate exoskeletons) up to a point (high pH reduces egg/embryo viability). My first thought was, wouldn't rising pH on a coastal stream increase productivity?

Cheers!

Ukee

WRT logging response - often a short-term increase in productivity related to released nutrients and increased photosynthesis. Mid to long term the more serious issues of destabilization, sediment infilling, changed hydrograph, increased stream temps, etc, etc reverse that trend.Ukee
Agreed Ukee. There was an implicit assumption in that question I asked - that (if) the logging was done properly and maintained bank stability - and the road activation/deactivation was dome properly (no fines nor slides) - likewise - which are admittedly 2 large assumptions. That's getting back to the previous comment I made about: "Hydrologic changes, bioturbidation, forestry and riparian effects, stability and size of substrate" having large effects.

Thanks for the info, Fishmyster. Why the drop in pH if (p. 7, s. 3.2 Long Term trends): "There was a highly significant increasing trend in long-term (1990–2007) annual pH and a decreasing trend in (non-sea salt) SO4 at Saturna"? Also - why do you believe that logging would necessarily precipitate a drop in invert numbers - rather than potentially an increase?

I don't think logging has much to do with the extermination of the invertebrates. The extreme low ph events were probably drastic enough to wipe them out and changed micro biology in nearly all watersheds and ground waters through out b.c.'s temporal zones. Rock snot algae was all through the Adams river 2012 fall when I was visiting! Probably going away there too now.

The decrease in non sea salt sulfur is possibly due to the lack of large volcanos poisoning the stratosphere. Same for the spike in acidity 1993. Likely Mt Pinatubo in June of 1991. Was a big deal worth reading about.

Attached is another good read! Take note of the population crash.

Attachments

• eulachon data.pdf
    171.3 KB · Views: 5
Another important point to consider when biophysical changes to the stream change the invert population is that total biomass alone isn't the best predictor of fisheries productivity. Species diversity is as important as the more diverse the invert community is, bioavailability will be maximized- i.e time throughout the day and throughout the season bugs are vulnerable to predation. Industrial scale logging often leads to lowered biodiversity but doesn't always lead to decreased biomass.

Cheers!

Ukee

Another report with some valuable data. Check out the date when out going juveniles crash. Also take into consideration that one female sh holds over 4000 eggs. what the hell happened to the Keough river?

Attachments

• keogh river smolt counts.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
I find this newer type of investigation about acid rain very interesting. Good on you Ken for going down this road. I truly hope you find a good scientist locally that can back some of this stuff up.

Keep us posted.

Some more enumeration data. Looks like there was more than likely an ecological crash in the mainland coast rivers too! loss of juveniles in 1994 would show its results by 2000. Another coincidence??lol

Attachments

• MainlandCoastNutrient_1143404205628_bb98440f95634e108ba9ff1269fd7f72.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
Hmmm, I spend an awful lot of time on the Adams River and while I have observed rock snot, or didymo, I certainly haven't observed it any volumes I'd classify as pervasive at any time I've ever been on the river. Interesting though, Fishmyster, is the fact that Didymo blooms in the large algal mats it is infamous for when the environment is cold and nutrient poor - exactly the kind of environment we find a lot in BC streams and rivers. Also interesting that fall 2012 would be the low point in the Adams/Shu sockeye cycle, so less carcass nutrients introduced on that cycle. At the same time the Adams has had pretty strong chinook returns for the past decade, so not like it would be devoid of Ocean sourced nutrients in 2012. Interesting stuff.

Cheers!

Ukee

Fact is that nearly all coastal waterways took a major crash during the early 1990's and it is all linked with the changing rain chemistry and the way a watershed is able to buffer the effects. There is no other force great enough to create such a consistent and vast effect.
If the loss of fish populations was due to oceanic conditions than you would think herring would have suffered a similar fate sometime around 1993? check out the attachment.

Attachments

• bc herring population.jpg
    bc herring population.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 5
Loss of ecosystems coast wide have caused the depression of fish stocks since the 1990's and it is all flipped back as of late! Stream alkalinity has improved all across the board and rain ph has risen drasticly even from last fall! I will be researching into it more this winter and will keep you all posted. There is also a bunch more files and data to post but the files were too large to upload. I will find a way to share them.

Last bit of info for you guys to chew on is that salmon carcases in the Stamp, Sproat, Somass system started to decomposed at three times the rate this season than they have for many years. This im sure will be linked to heterotrophic bacterial activity and all the other changes that have been happening. No documentation for that but a personal observation.

Definitely something Masters or PHD students may be able to take on - i.e. processing/interpreting your data and looking for linkages. Hinch supervises a bunch out of UBC but the other BC Universities will also have Grad programs that may be interested.

Cheers!

Ukee

...wouldn't rising pH on a coastal stream increase productivity?
BINGO! Exactly, Ukee.
Another important point to consider when biophysical changes to the stream change the invert population is that total biomass alone isn't the best predictor of fisheries productivity. Species diversity is as important as the more diverse the invert community is, bioavailability will be maximized- i.e time throughout the day and throughout the season bugs are vulnerable to predation. Industrial scale logging often leads to lowered biodiversity but doesn't always lead to decreased biomass.
Another excellent point, Ukee. More specifically - readily available and nutritious inverts (e.g. stoneflys) in the right stretch of the river at the right time - is what is needed for resident fish populations and their life cycles at that point in space/time. Certain species - such as pinks, chums and marine fishes - do not commonly take advantage of inner watershed inverts since they feed in the eastuaries/oceans. This includes herring and Eulachon - among others. Using these species as indicators of stream production is inappropriate.
... Also interesting that fall 2012 would be the low point in the Adams/Shu sockeye cycle, so less carcass nutrients introduced on that cycle. At the same time the Adams has had pretty strong chinook returns for the past decade, so not like it would be devoid of Ocean sourced nutrients in 2012. Interesting stuff.
Another good point, Ukee.

Last edited:
BINGO! Exactly, Ukee.Another excellent point, Ukee. More specifically - readily available and nutritious inverts (e.g. stoneflys) in the right stretch of the river at the right time - is what is needed for resident fish populations and their life cycles at that point in space/time. Certain species - such as pinks, chums and marine fishes - do not commonly take advantage of inner watershed inverts since they feed in the eastuaries/oceans. This includes herring and Eulachon - among others. Using these species as indicators of stream production is inappropriate.Another good point, Ukee.

The recent rise in alkalinity has resulted in a slow repopulation of past invertebrate population including Caddis and mayfly but haven't seen many stones yet but some. The smaller streams seem to be rebounding faster and I am assuming because of shallower or smaller watersheds would be quicker to exchange with the new better quality water. Salmon and steelhead fry are now more abundant and fatter than I have seen in years!

Although eulachon does not utilize stream inverts they do reproduce in streams during spring melt where as herring don't. They could be a good indicator of bad stream water quality when compared with ocean spawning herring populations in the same eras. Extreme low ph events do effect the development of most aquatic life. Bad quality run off during egg incubation could possibly explain the coastal crash in eulachon populations durring the early 1990's. Just my opinion.

When I was in the shuswap it was the outlet of Adams lake that was matted with didimo. it was not as noticeable around the mouth where it entered the shuswap.
If there is a lack of heterotrophic bacteria to decompose all the salmon does anyone know how this will effect the nutrient levels? More salmon carcases doesn't necessarily mean more nutrient if they do not cycle into nutrient correctly. They may even cause harm if a waterway is overwhelmed.

Something else to consider is the continuously changing levels of aluminum and ammonia. As for aluminum, a thirty year low ph in a stream will dissolve and suspend this element from what could be a long period of precipitating material. If you are really curious google search aluminum and acidification. The effects have been well documented but the file is too big for me to upload here. The movements of metals and ammonia levels are quite possibly the culprits in adjusting stream ecology and benthic composition. After reading up on the effects and at what levels these materials effect aquatic life then get yourself into the Environmental Protection water quality data bank. You might be alarmed with you findings!!

Well, if you are looking for world class scientists I suggest you forward your very interesting research to a few of the best ..
Brian Riddell, President of the Pacific Salmon Foundation briddell@psf.ca
Scott Hinch, Professor at UBC Scott.Hinch@ubc.ca
David Patterson, DFO Pattersond@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Not Bob Hooton? LOL

Thanks for that I will attempt to contact these gentlemen when I get back from hunting. I am curious if they have been noticing these same changes?

I would bet they haven't looked. If you are serious about making contact, Hinch is your man. He has a huge network of scientists that may be interested in researching this and has access to the analytical laboratories that will be necessary.

Although eulachon does not utilize stream inverts they do reproduce in streams during spring melt where as herring don't. They could be a good indicator of bad stream water quality when compared with ocean spawning herring populations in the same eras. Extreme low ph events do effect the development of most aquatic life. Bad quality run off during egg incubation could possibly explain the coastal crash in eulachon populations durring the early 1990's. Just my opinion.
The majority of Eulachon watersheds have decent WQ (poss exception Fraser and South). Substrate issues (i.e. clean sand or lack thereof and/or sand covered over w fines, etc) would be a more likely impact - as would diseases from fish farms (ISA and PRv).

Last bit of info for you guys to chew on is that salmon carcases in the Stamp, Sproat, Somass system started to decomposed at three times the rate this season than they have for many years. This im sure will be linked to heterotrophic bacterial activity and all the other changes that have been happening. No documentation for that but a personal observation.
If the hypothesis is that lower pH affects heterotrophic bacteria enough to cause nutrients to not decay from carcasses - one would need to see the limits of the bacterial decomp wrt pH, the pH in the streams, and the nutrient info.

Back