Boat stereo installation in Vic....

dfrase

Hi Guys,

Any recommendations for getting a boat stereo installed in Victoria? I bought the head unit and speakers from Trotac and it is ready to go. Boat is a Explorer 542.

I have a 5" hole saw and was toying with the idea of doing it myself but am losing my nerve a bit on cutting holes in my boat ;)

Cheers,
Dfrase

Somebody's got to cut them, and if you hire the job out, there are two things that are darn near inevitable:
1) The installer won't be as smart as you
2) The installer won't care about your boat as much as you do!

Of course, I say this tongue in cheek, but what installers have going for them is that they have done it a hundred times so they typically know where to mount things in cars and boats if they have done one of similar make and model before. I seriously think that with some looking around on your boat you can figure it out. You can also look at Google images and see what other boat owners have done for speaker locations.

No matter where you mount your speakers, you will have to be able to get in behind them to run wires. This will allow you to get a good look at what's going on. Never cut or drill any hole where you cannot visualize the space you're cutting into. Follow that rule and you'll be good to go.

Another option, get a waterproof bluetooth speaker with the built in battery. They come in all shapes and sizes. I have a waterproof JBL one that has a carabiner. I clip it on wherever I am. On the water, in the yard etc. Works great and i get 5-6 hours of music between charges.

Mine was $80, the smallest model they have which offers surprisingly good sound. A friend has the same one and you can link them together to play off of one device for 'surround sound'.

They make a bigger model as well;

imageService

$300
https://www.costco.ca/JBL-Xtreme-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker---Red.product.100303875.html

No holes, no wires, no labour, big sound.

Try Sound Advice across from the Arena on Blanshard. Talk to Marco.

Another option, get a waterproof bluetooth speaker with the built in battery. They come in all shapes and sizes. I have a waterproof JBL one that has a carabiner. I clip it on wherever I am. On the water, in the yard etc. Works great and i get 5-6 hours of music between charges.

Mine was $80, the smallest model they have which offers surprisingly good sound. A friend has the same one and you can link them together to play off of one device for 'surround sound'.

They make a bigger model as well;

No holes, no wires, no labour, big sound.

Yes, good advice. One of the reasons we want the stereo is not only the sound quality but it also charges devices (Iphone/Ipod etc). we currently have no way of charging any devices on the boat

Also, i have bought the stereo already ;)

Somebody's got to cut them, and if you hire the job out, there are two things that are darn near inevitable:
1) The installer won't be as smart as you
2) The installer won't care about your boat as much as you do!

Of course, I say this tongue in cheek, but what installers have going for them is that they have done it a hundred times so they typically know where to mount things in cars and boats if they have done one of similar make and model before. I seriously think that with some looking around on your boat you can figure it out. You can also look at Google images and see what other boat owners have done for speaker locations.

No matter where you mount your speakers, you will have to be able to get in behind them to run wires. This will allow you to get a good look at what's going on. Never cut or drill any hole where you cannot visualize the space you're cutting into. Follow that rule and you'll be good to go.

Thx, appreciate it. I have done some research and am thinking of putting them on the front console about shin height, one on each side. the speakers would then back into the cuddy but under the cushions where there is a compartment easily accessible. the deck would then be mounted under the steering wheel beside the VHF. From the research i have done, it seems the most important thing for location is you want the sound bouncing off as many surfaces as possible. this seemed like a good location then in the cockpit and facing towards where ppl sit.

Do It yourself it's so easy. Cut your holes run your wires out of the speaker holes before you screw the speakers down then connect to speakers. Really simple takes a hour maybe 2 tops.

alright i will do some googlin'

need to get my head around the wiring for power as well. i opened up behind the dash and there are a million wires kickin around back there. i did install a new Helix 7 to replace the old unit but was able to use the existing power cord.

I know you already bought the stereo but I second the Bluetooth recommendation.
I use a Bose Bluetooth speaker and satellite radio on mine.

Re: charging the best way I've found is an inverter and one of those multiple port USB things.

I only have a 300w inverter but it keeps the radio going and few guys phones at 100% no problem.

If your 542 has a 12V outlet on the dash (mine did) you can plug a USB charger into the outlet and charge pretty much anything you like.

look for the foam back boxes, the sound will be alot better. cutting them into an open space will give them a tinny sound.

Back