Boat fuel Tank

ExFlyGuy

like I expected my aluminum fuel tank is garbage... I've been on sceptre and moellors web sites and there is not really a tank that is the size I want that will fit into my boat without some modifications.

Is there someone in the nanaimo area that can build certified custom tanks?

Thanks

Last edited:
pierre at poco marine makes alot of tanks for different replacements....sorry not nanaimo but it might help.

What about the guy that's building your pod? Just a thought. He does a lot of nice fabrication work.

Im curious what the certification requirements are....
Just a ticketed welder? Hydro testing? Just wondering....

I think they are pressure tested at 5 psi for 24 hours. That is what a few of the manufacturers advertise.

I did a little digging, basically what I found was ABYC H-24 outlines gasoline fuel systems. "Custom" tanks dont require a 2.5 minute fire test however if you are manufacturing a specific tank for a specific vessel and installation then that test is needed. H-24 outlines materials and thicknesses and basic construction etc. The pressure test is 3psi minimum and all openings to the tank have to be made on the topmost surface of the tank, nothing on the sides or bottom and no drains. A production tank has to be labeled with certain information like manufacturer, date, test parameters, capacity, etc but I'm not sure if a custom tank requires it. Lots more but thats the gist.

10 psi? With a minimum thickness of .100" aluminum it sounds like a very, very bad idea. That is lots of energy.
A couple psi and snoop works where you can access all welds and fittings. And
10 inches of water column for hours where the tank is built in and involves structure.

Ya 10psi is totally over kill, the tank needs to hold pressure for 24hrs and it will be good, soap and water test works great too, very easy to tell if there's any leaks. 1/8 wall alum is standard on most custom tanks !

I had to search high and low for an appropriately sized aluminum fuel tank for my project Double Eagle, and I finally found one at greatlakesskipper.com. It was shipped right to my door, and the price - including shipping - was pretty darn good. I have to admit that the $ exchange rate was much better than it is now, but this site is worth a look.

Back