Big Surprise At A Birthday Bash.......NFR..

Dave H

This past Sunday, May 14th. found me, my sister Linda and a bunch of friends at Pebbles Restaurant in Sechelt celebrating two birthdays, mine on May 3rd. (72nd.) and Linda's May 17th. We had quite a range of folks there from both present times and times past and two of them are brothers who I grew up with. George was born two months after me so I have no memory of not knowing him and his brother Michael came along nearly two years later so I have no memory of not knowing him either.

So, there's an 88 year old friend of my dear old Dad (RIP) named Hale on one side of me with George and Mike on the other. I mention the fact that George is my oldest friend and the guy I've known the longest when Hale taps me on the shoulder and says, "Not so fast there young fellow, I've known you since you were five days old."

Somewhat surprised I ask how that could be.

Hale laughed then said: "Back on May 8th. 1945 everyone was going nuts partying because Victory in Europe had been declared and that war was now over. Your Dad, serving in the Air Force and stationed at Jericho, was trying to get home to his wife and his newborn son (me) whom he had not seen yet. Your Dad had gotten a ride as far as the junction where you either went through Sapperton and along North Rd. to Rochester then up about a mile to home, or you went along past the brewery towards Maillardville then up Blue Mountain Rd. to Rochester and home. Either way it was a long walk and there was no traffic to speak of at all."

I listened intently but was still uncertain where this was going.

Hale continued: " I was just 18 and out riding my motorcycle when I came upon your Dad standing alone, pondering which way to go. I said hello and asked if he needed a ride. He gladly accepted, climbed on behind me and I drove him along Brunette to Blue Mountain then up the hill to Rochester where you and your Mom were waiting. I saw you then as did your Dad, for the very first time. You were five days old. I guess I've known you longer than anyone left on Earth."

He smiled as I sat and pondered the whole situation, somewhat stunned I suppose but delighted to hear the story after all these years.

Small world sometimes.

One day I'll tell the story of how Hale and two other guys crash-landed a plane in Ecuador and spent 12 days hiking out to civilization. It's a good one.

Take care.

Thanks, Dave. You're lucky to have heard that wonderful story. Kudos to Hale for telling it when he had a chance. So many interesting family stories never get passed on to the next generation, and then they're gone, as if they never happened.

I'd like to hear your story about Hale's survival adventure in Ecuador.

Back