Big Qualicum River

lbmmike

Hi Guys,

Been down to the big Q 3 times in the last month. First time found 2 guys fishing the hatchery pool. Claimed they were native so I just let it be. Second night saw a couple fishing further up with spoons, let them know it was fly fish only. They claimed that the reg was changed. But they left after about 5 more minutes fishing. Then 3rd night same thing guy was there chucking the biggest spinner I have seen in my life. Whats up? Hadn't seen anyone fishing illegally there for 3 years then boom 3 nights in a month. Sad. Also there are hardly any chinook in the system which is a hgue change from last year.

I see forms of poaching every time I'm there. I wish they would make it fly only year round although last summer I saw guy "Flyfishing" off the bridge with about an ounce of lead.

It they stationed a single CO officer on that river for a few months the fines would pay his salary for a year. Keep telling people the regs because they are confusing and it may be an honest mistake, then call RAPP if they don't listen. (no it doesn't do anything but if we all call then maybe they will realize how bad it is)

I think the lack of springs has something to do with water flow and the gates, there is a bunch still waiting to enter.

Lot's off poaching at the Little Q as well. I reported some guys that were taking springs. I yelled at a guy who thought it was ok to drag the spring on the rocks, then leave it there while he got his camera. Then he released it into shallow water and turned away as the fish just lay there. He finally pushed it in deeper. This was after I told him not to drag fish on the beach an hour before. Needless to say I was pretty mad the second time. I told him to leave the river. He cried a bit asking me what else can he do, they re so big..Guy had waders on too, no excuses. He left as instructed.. dick head

The big Q for coho has been fully open gear and fly since October 9th. Change was FN1100 and yes the bc fishery defers with the changes as long as its with salmon .
In essence, that they try to co-ordinate with the feds but, in any event, defer to the DFO when in comes to salmon so there would not be any enforcement actions taken by the province.

Last edited:
Back