Big Qualicum, Little Qualicum, Puntledge and Oyster River Public Notices

bgillard

Hello every one.

This is Bryce Gillard, Fishery Officer from Comox. With the river season upon us, I felt it time to begin posting our public notices for you.

Today I have the notices for the Big Qualicum and Little Qualicum Rivers. I hope to have the Puntledge and Oyster up tomorrow for you.

There will be no real changes for the Big Qualicum River from last year. We still have concerns for the chum return. Chinook are coming in and will hopefully continue to do so. My partner and I will be putting up white triangles today at the upstream end of the reserve just to assist people with the closure in the reserve area.

I understand people are casting down into the reserve but standing in the open area. Fishing the closures is the offence, not where you stand. It will cost you $250.

***Change to chum on the Little Qualicum***

The hatchery staff have significant concerns that the chum returns won't achieve the required escapement in the Little Qualicum. We've had to set the chum quota to zero ( 0 ). Hopefully they come back strong and early so we can open for retention while they're still in good shape. Keep your fingers crossed.

Any questions give my office a call 0900-1530 hrs Monday - Friday.

Still poaching going on on the rivers so keep reports coming. 1-800-465-4336.

Be safe and enjoy the season:
________________________________________________________________________________________________

FISHERIES AND OCEANS CANADA
PUBLIC NOTICE
Little Qualicum River - 2011

Closures:

Closed to all fishing from the hatchery fence down stream to the signs approximately 35M below the hatchery fence.

No fishing from the Falls in the Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park Dec 1 to May 3.

All tributaries below the falls in the Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park

Fly Fishing Only:

September 1 to November 30(Where open) all of Little Qualicum River including the tributaries above the falls in the Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park.

Possession Limits.

Non-retention of Wild Trout and Char.

Chinook:
Effective 00:01 hrs October 1, 2011 until 23:59 hrs November 30, 2011, the daily limit of chinook salmon is one (1) per day. Fish may be wild or hatchery marked. Minimum size in fork length is 30cm.

Chum:
Effective immediately the retention of Chum in the Little Qualicum River will be zero (0) until further notice. This is due to anticipated returns below required escapement. Chum returns will be monitored and should the level of returns improve then angling opportunities will be reassessed.

Coho:
Effective immediately the retention of coho in the Little Qualicum River will be zero (0) until further notice. This is due to the continuing poor returns of coho to the Little Qualicum River. Coho returns will be monitored and should the level of returns improve then angling opportunities will be reassessed.

Note: You must hold a licence to fish freshwater in British Columbia

Report all violations 24 hours per day to 1-800-465-4336

________________________________________________________________________________________________

FISHERY NOTICE
(BIG QUALICUM RIVER 2011)

POSSESSION AND GEAR RESTRICTIONS AND OPEN AREAS

Closures:

No fishing from Hatchery counting fence to the Hwy 19A bridge Aug 10 – Oct 15.

From the Reserve boundary below the Big Qualicum hatchery downstream to the highway 19A bridge Jan 1- Dec 31.

Downstream of the E&N Railway bridge Dec 1 to June 15.

From the Hatchery counting fence downstream to the Qualicum First Nation Reserve, from one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise Oct 16 to Nov 30.
Fishing in or Near Government Facilities
There is no fishing below the top river weir located approximately 75 meters downstream of the railway trestle, to down stream of the Hatchery counting fence on the Big Qualicum River.
Gear:
Fly fishing only September 1 to October 15.
From Horne Lake Dam to E&N railway bridge, artificial lure Dec 1 to May 31.

Chum
Oct 1 - Nov 30, the daily limit of chum salmon is one (1) per day in the Big Qualicum River. Minimum size limit of 30 cm.
Chinook
Apr 24 - Oct 15, the daily limit of Chinook is four (4) less then 62cm, Hatchery or Wild. Oct 16 - Dec 31, the daily limit of Chinook is four (4) of which only two (2) may be over 62 cm Hatchery or Wild.
Coho
Until further notice Possession is zero (0). Coho fishing opportunities will be assessed.
Pink/Sockeye
Possession is zero (0). Pink fishing opportunities will be assessed.
Notes:
Your limit of salmon is 4 per day of the aggregate (combined) allowable catch.
Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia.
The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.
You must hold a licence to fish fresh water in British Columbia.
Report all violations 24 hours per day to
1-800-465-4336

Thanks for the info Bryce, did you ever happen to work with my dad out of the nanaimo office (Bryan)

Thanks Bryce, as we all know, the same "Over the Line" casting is rampant below the Puntledge hatchery every year.

Nice to see a fishery office posting notices here thank you for taking the time and thank you for all the hard work you do.

DFO gets slammed quite a bit in the sport fishing community but most of us know it's the people up top we are angry with not the staff working the front lines like yourself.

Hello Bryce, perhaps you could answer a question that has been puzzling me for quite a few years. On the Big Q why is the 62+cm Chinook retention postponed until post Oct 15th, when it would be a minor miracle to catch a Chinook in edible condition that late? I have seen the odd fresh fish that late but nothing like the numbers a month previous.

Thanks for your Responses

1st: Yes I worked with/for Bryan. I keep hoping to check him on his sail boat, if I ever get my patrol boat back on the water. I have some great memories working with Bryan, most which I can't share on a public blog : )

Re: the < 62 cm requirement until October 15th on the Big Q:

Best talk to Les Clint the hatchery manager on that one. I believe it has to do with the late returns of on the larger Chinook on the system. It's allways a guessing game for the hatchery staff to know what they are going to get back in the systems. With conservation being the priority, it's a challenge to open for retention before you get your fish back. Even opening it now is a bit of a risk but it is a calculated risk. I know we take into consideration the quality of fish for the anglers as you mentioned. Yesterday we had quite a discussion about the chum situation on the Little Q. A significant consideration was the opportunities for anglers to get quality fish if we do open for chum. The over riding decission to keep the Little Q none retention on chum was due to the conservation conserns.

I recommend you participate with your Sport Fish Advisory Council or attend one of the open public meetings. It's a great way to get your concerns heard and understand the management of the systems. You will get a chance to ask the hard questions directly to us.

Bryce

Little Qualicum Tidal Boundary

There has been some fish killing going on at the Hwy 19A bridge on the Little Qualicum. Some folks may think the tidal boundary is at that bridge but it's not, it's about 400 m down stream. Some well intentioned person put notices up that the boundary is 100 m below the bridge. That too is incorrect.

The tidal water boundary signs on the Little Qualicum River are approximately 400 meters down stream of the highway 19A bridge. There are white triangles about 6'x 6' in treas on either side of the river down in the ecological reserve.

Many of the minor systems and even the Big Qualicum River, the highway 19A bridge is used as the tidal boundary on the Rivers, but due to the length of the estuary, River's such as the Oyster, Puntledge and Little Qualicum have the tidal boundary far below the highway.

We determin tidal boundries for the protection of the stocks. A rule of thumb is to 1st consider places where the fish get channelized and subject to high explotation and second to and in areas that area easy for the public to recognize.

Bryce Gillard
Fishery Officer, Comox

Thanks for the info Bryce. I am so looking forward to seeing the Puntledge regulations posted. Maybe the poachers salmon fishing there now will see it and stop fishing until October 1st.

Puntlege notice coming soon

I've drafted the notice, I'm just having it reviewed by the Hatchery and our fish Manager.

Re: the current salmon fishing. The river is actually open, but not for retention. We have the quoata set a zero right now.

This still remains a concern as there is a mortality on a catch and release fishery, particullary on the Puntledge where we can have some very warm tempatures.

We hope the anglers will act responsibly and monitor the water tempatures so we can still provide access to fish, but concerve the stocks.

I'm sure it will be an issue discussed at the sport fish advisory council.

Bryce

Thanks for taking time to stop in and post important info here Bryce
Would be very helpful if you'd continue to do so in future as well.
Nice to see someone taking the time to do so for the fishermen.

Appreciated over here for sure.

Puntledge River Public Notice

As promised, here is the Puntledge notice. Please note the non-retention on coho and chinook. I've added some reasons so the public understands why. These changes were consulted with the Sport Fish Advisory Council and are reflected in your salmon suppliment of the sport fishing guide.

PUBLIC NOTICE
Puntledge/Courtenay River Salmon Possession - 2011

Chum

Effective 0001 hrs October 1, 2011 until 2359 hrs November 30, 2011 The daily limit of chum salmon is two (2) in the Puntledge & Courtenay River downstream from a boundary marker located 75m downstream of the Puntledge River hatchery counting fence. Minimum size limit of 30 cm.

Chinook

Effective Immediately, the daily limit of Chinook salmon will be zero (0) in the Puntledge & Courtenay River, due to expected poor returns to the system this year

Coho

Effective immediately, the daily limit of unmarked or marked (adipose fin clipped)coho salmon in the Puntledge & Courtenay Rivers is zero (0)
Coho – Due to warm water conditions in the brood year for this years returning coho, over 90% of the smolts were lost at the hatchery. Due too this loss, coho returns for this season are a significant concern. Assessments will continue & opportunity for a retention will be provided if escapement allows.

Closures

The Puntledge River, between signs located 100m upstream and downstream of the confluences with Morrison Creek, and 75m downstream of the Puntledge Hatchery fence, is closed to fishing.

Report all violations 24 hours per day to
1-800-465-4336

bryce, i talked to dfo and a co about salmon c&r fishing in the puntledge prior to oct1st. they told me clearly that was illegal. please let us know if we are allowed or not allowed to target salmon on the punt prior to Oct 1 for the purpose of c&r

bryce, i talked to dfo and a co about salmon c&r fishing in the puntledge prior to oct1st. they told me clearly that was illegal. please let us know if we are allowed or not allowed to target salmon on the punt prior to Oct 1 for the purpose of c&r

X2

I was told the same when call our local DFO office that you work at.

The law regarding fishing for salmon on the Puntledge River

Sorry for not getting back to the question regarding "catch and release" fishing for salmon on the Puntledge River/Courtenay Rivers. I've been rather busy.

I'm going to explain the law and you'll understand why it is somewhat confusing. My apologies to any of you who may have been miss lead.

In a nut shell, the Puntledge/Courtenay system is closed to fishing from the lake to the base of Stoltan Falls all year. It is closed to fishing below the lower hatchery to the boundary signs approximately 75 meters below the fence. It is also closed 100 meters above and 100 meters below the confluence of Morrison Creek. Other then that it is open to fishing for salmon, with a retention of zero (0) until October 1, 2011 where you can keep 2 chum per day. We hope the chum run is strong and we don't have to vary the quota to zero (0).

The confusion for our office staff and perhaps other government agencies that are not as immersed in the law as myself, is due to how it is written. Please bare with me:

The BC Sport Fishing Regulations state the closed time for fishing for salmon in BC rivers, by angling and by various angling methods is closed Dec 31 from 2300 hrs to 2400 hrs. This effectively opens the rivers all year. Why??? Because the Fishery General Regulations section 6(1) allows staff to "vary" the regulations by time, method and possession limit. If the regulations weren't written this way, we would require and act of parliament every time we needed an in-season management change.

It is the intent of the Federal Government to provide fishing opportunities to the public even if it is only catch and release. We understand there will be a certain mortality to a catch and release fishery, but we trust the majority of anglers to act in a responsible manner and minimize the impact. IE: if the water temperature is too high, don't fish.

Our clerk at the front desk was miss-informed by a senior staff member who believed the river was closed to fishing. I was unavailable to be here to explain the regulations at that time. I have since addressed this with the senior staff and our administration here in Comox. I will contact the Conservation Officer Service as it was inferred that they too stated the river was closed.

Please don't be too hard on our clerk she feels terrible if she miss informed any of you as her client service is very important to her.

I will ensure the regulations and variation orders are well understood at the next Sport Fish Advisory Board Council meeting. I don't know if they will want a change to the current situatio or not. The public input is appreciated.

Any questions, give me a call 250-339-2031 0900-1530 hrs.

Bryce Gillard

Hello Bryce, perhaps you could answer a question that has been puzzling me for quite a few years. On the Big Q why is the 62+cm Chinook retention postponed until post Oct 15th, when it would be a minor miracle to catch a Chinook in edible condition that late? I have seen the odd fresh fish that late but nothing like the numbers a month previous.

Wow, I didn't realize there will still people even keeping chinooks in the east coast rivers? I say let 'em all spawn...

Blackleech-- that is just your opinion that you are entitled to. But you have to understand that the BQ, LQ and Puntledge are hatchery rivers. If conservation needs are met, then there is no problem removing a portion of the hatchery surplus by recreational fishing. In fact our local SFAC has worked in conjunction with guys like Bryce and the hatchery crews to provide opportunities to fish for and where appropriate, to take home a salmon for the smoker, pickling, and fresh eating. The target species have been chums, coho, and chinook.

River fisheries for salmon go back to the late 1800's when English toffs , intending on duplicating the river fishery that they enjoyed for atlantics in the Old World, came to BC to test their skill on the new fish in the Colonies.

The advent of keeping a chum in a river IS a new opportunity..It arose when anglers challenged the old school DFO and commercial thinking that all chums taken in fresh water were snagged. Given that in many places they were enhanced to the max to provide commercial opportunities, it was indefensible for DFO to refuse to allow rec kill fisheries where there was a surplus of returning spawners THAT HAD BEEN PAID FOR BY OUR TAX DOLLARS!

I hope you will recognize that , while you may choose to not take a salmon out of fresh water, there are thousands that wait all year for this opportunity. Who are we to deny them if the fish are not endangered?

Further to what CL said, and to repeat something by another member from another thread, aren't all salmon potentially spawners?

Back