Big Q

There are some Coho now showing at Nile Creek. Not so many yet, but enough to make it a fishery and I expect that more will show everyday.

I can't comment on the Big 'Q, but I suspect that there must be some fish in the river as well.

Big sea run cutties and a few Coho in the Q right now. The set up, 10'6 4-12lb noodle, calcutta loaded with 8 pound test, 6lb leader, drennan float, small splitshot, number 4 black gammy and a 4 egg chinook RoeBag. This is the ticket for fishing the Lower Big Q. Thank god I'm half native!!

Pass the Pack

My uncle is a status Cree (Manitoba). Does that get me any special allowances?

geez Bags that sounds a bit different than the fly fishing only that im used to this time of year. Think i'll stick to my Muddlers and mickey finns.Thank god im NOT half native.

Every fish in that's river is a cookie clone. The Lower river was nothing more that a "BEEK SHOW". Hours upon hours of amusment would take place on a daly basis. The Big Q fishery has been and always will nothing more than a " MEAT HARVEST."

Pass the Pack

Would spoons work for coho? how do you get below the hatchery? path on the far side? I have never fished the river because its to crowded but i may this year! When and were should i fish to avoid the crowds? What should i use?

beachcomber NANOOSE

go up from the hatchery(once up far enough theres few people), and dont use spoons or you will just end up snagging chum. small spinners, colorado blades, or some green wool is what i like to try.

So do the fish get above the hatchery? i thought they went into the pens. Also i have seen above the hatchery and its really nice! how far up should i got? before that bridge?or after? Also is there anything below the hatchery i have seen trails goin down there but i have never been down them. I wanna fish were there is not many people because i am new to river fishing and dont want to accidently offend sometone.

beachcomber NANOOSE

u can go all the way up to horne lake i believe, but theres a few bridges so not quite sure which one you mean.

ok. I was wondering were i could get some roe? Near the river or in parksville? If not what should i use under my float?

beachcomber NANOOSE

dark/light green wool combo is what i prefer, sometimes with a corky as well(chartreuse). a lot of guys use blue wool. small peices seem to be the key though. this year i will be trying marabou jigs on this river(never used them there before) if anyone has info as to colour/sizes to try that would be great.

I have a small green and white wool combo and orange and red. Would this be good for chinooks? Also its hacth coho only right? 2 and 2 chinook only 1 big??

beachcomber NANOOSE

yah fly only til Oct. 15th and no fishing below the counting fence. Kelly-you arent allowed to fish the lower river. Its been closed off because of the indians for a couple years now.

On another note, I went to the Big Q today. Not many fish above the hatchery. Saw 3 or 4 coho. Got a few cutts further upstream. One was about 20 inches.

I know its open on the 15th im just trying to prepare early. I was wondering how long should your leader be from the weight to the hook?

beachcomber NANOOSE

Lots of fish. Quite a few flyfisherman walking here and there but didnt see any fishing. Where is the best spots to fish? cant wait till next week.

beachcomber NANOOSE

Back