Big Lings at Thrasher

Blackmax

I am curious to see how long the big lingcod will last now at Thrasher, every year more and more people including guides are taking them. I was there back in the 70's and 80's when guys would jig garbage cans full of cod, I give it another couple of years and it will be all shut down again. The fishers say it not ilegal and its not but same as the herring roe fishery that takes all the food from the salmon localy ,its legal as well but not right.

The Georgia Strait Ling pop.. is stable and doing fine..DFO does a good job monitoring it..... all I would say is take what u need..don't take because its there to be taken..like all the other resources its a shared resource for all the share...:)

you know by making this post you've now told 1000's of people that there IS lingcod at thrasher. You may just cause more guys to give it a go while out there.

you know by making this post you've now told 1000's of people that there IS lingcod at thrasher. You may just cause more guys to give it a go while out there.

I thought about that but if you look on the fishing reports there are pictures of big lings and where they are thats why I posted. I'm hoping people will leave the big ones and only take what they need.

mmmmm............wormy female ling cod......yummy......under 20# is a good killing size. Over 20# is good for making more lingcod under 20#.....Just because you can doesn't mean you should.....

The Georgia Strait Ling pop.. is stable and doing fine..DFO does a good job monitoring it..... all I would say is take what u need..don't take because its there to be taken..like all the other resources its a shared resource for all the share...:)

Oh right the DFO, yeah they are doing such a wonderful job with the fish stocks.How could they possibly be wrong.

.... and it's good thing u don't manage any part our fishery...I'll step away from this thread and let u manage away..enjoy your weekend..I know I will...cheers

Really? not quite what DFO says.
Lingcod stocks in the Strait of Georgia are considered to be at a low level of abundance, and since the early 1990's, commercial fishing for lingcod has been prohibited in all areas of the Strait of Georgia.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/scienc...ds/lingcod-moruelingue/fishery-peche-eng.html
Given the relatively data-poor nature of this stock, the scenario-based approach taken allows the representation of data and biological uncertainties. Future assessments that seek to provide harvest advice should continue to consider a model-averaging approach that incorporates large structural uncertainties into harvest advice.

http://search-recherche.gc.ca/rGs/s...ng&cdn=dfo&q=ling+cod&gcwu-srch-submit=Search

.... and it's good thing u don't manage any part our fishery...I'll step away from this thread and let u manage away..enjoy your weekend..I know I will...cheers

Dont let it get to you Deryk ....... Maybe someday he will take to time to check out what he is saying before posting nonsense. ( but maybe not!! ) LOL

If your after lings the maybe a westcoast trip is in order There's a reason Ecvi is only a 10 limit let's let the stocks grow just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your after lings the maybe a westcoast trip is in order There's a reason Ecvi is only a 10 limit let's let the stocks grow just my 2 cents

Tagging studies show that lingcod are largely non migratory and colonize in localized areas.
As long as they are off Thrasher, they will be fished out again NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

Yeah DFO does a great job managing the fishery. East coast cod, west coast herring .. They've got a good track record, right?!

.DFO does a good job monitoring it.....

You are correct in saying they are monitoring it………..like all the other resources they monitored but never managed till they were decimated.
Without funding for enforcement DFO is just another leach sucking large $ from taxpayers, bureaucracy at its finest.

Yeah DFO does a great job managing the fishery. East coast cod, west coast herring .. They've got a good track record, right?!

Lets not forget Strait of Georgia coho, ECVI Steelhead (ok that is provincial) Oolichan, Halibut, Yellow eye rockfish.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back