Best Value Halibut Combo

Stizzla

Crew Member
It's my birthday coming up and I'm looking to get hooked up (pardon the pun) with a couple of rods and reels for next Hali season.
I'm new to the sport and would like some advice from you veterans. I played with the Penn Squall 40 and it seem decent for just over $200.00.
Suggestion?
Thanks,
Steve

I really like the shimano trevalla jigging. think it's about 5'6" HHX or something like that. Paired with a calcutta 700B... Not cheap though. I'm sure there are better rigs at less dollars, but I like what I have. No complaints. Have 3 of those. (looking for another calcutta.)
Penn Squall looks like a nice reel. Like the lever drag... Haven't tried one though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip! That is some seriously nice Looking equipment.
Having spent $20,000 on fishing gear in 2017 (well spent), and with out 1st baby on the way I might have a tough time asking my wife for that.
But, I could try to convince her it's a good investment... halibut isn't cheap at the grocery store!

I am 67 y/o so i spend money getting light rods/reels - 2 speed reels are nice.

I have caught many halibut on a Shimano knucklebuster with 20# braid on a $50 rod; using my Salmon reel on a different rod.

The Shimano rod mentioned above is what I use now. I'd go with 50# braid. Last Summer the boat I was on brought in a 200# fish on gear like this. With 50# line you will want a reel that can handle 15-20# of drag. We are not Marlin fishing; no screaming runs.

For my money I'd recommend a Shimano TLD 20 reel (once you use a thumb lever reel you want go back to a star drag). This is a time proven, reel the has great performance and reliability for the price.

As far as a rod goes, I like the Shimano Talora (low $) or Technium (mid $) or Trevala (higher $) as they all have stiff buts and sensitive tips, good action when anchored and putting the rod in the holder. I like Shimano rods, but there are many other good rods out there to chose from.

IMG_2531.JPG *Update:
I got up Cabelas in Nanaimo and made my selection. I ended up with two of the Diawa Saltist 2 speed reels one size 35 and one 40. They were regular $489 on sale for $199. Also got an ugly stik rod 75% off for $39. Reviews online were solid. I'm a happy dude!
Thanks again for your input guys!
Steve

Wow that's a good deal. I just got my first two speed reel a few months back for tuna and marlin... wow so nice having the low gear!

Back