Best Value Halibut Combo

Discussion in 'General Open Forum' started by Stizzla, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Stizzla

Stizzla Active Member

It's my birthday coming up and I'm looking to get hooked up (pardon the pun) with a couple of rods and reels for next Hali season.
    I'm new to the sport and would like some advice from you veterans. I played with the Penn Squall 40 and it seem decent for just over $200.00.
    Suggestion?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. bigdogeh

bigdogeh Well-Known Member

I really like the shimano trevalla jigging. think it's about 5'6" HHX or something like that. Paired with a calcutta 700B... Not cheap though. I'm sure there are better rigs at less dollars, but I like what I have. No complaints. Have 3 of those. (looking for another calcutta.)
    Penn Squall looks like a nice reel. Like the lever drag... Haven't tried one though.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  3. Stizzla

Stizzla Active Member

Thanks for the tip! That is some seriously nice Looking equipment.
    Having spent $20,000 on fishing gear in 2017 (well spent), and with out 1st baby on the way I might have a tough time asking my wife for that.
    But, I could try to convince her it's a good investment... halibut isn't cheap at the grocery store!

bigdogeh likes this.
  4. tubber

tubber Well-Known Member

5. ericl

ericl Active Member

I am 67 y/o so i spend money getting light rods/reels - 2 speed reels are nice.

I have caught many halibut on a Shimano knucklebuster with 20# braid on a $50 rod; using my Salmon reel on a different rod.

The Shimano rod mentioned above is what I use now. I'd go with 50# braid. Last Summer the boat I was on brought in a 200# fish on gear like this. With 50# line you will want a reel that can handle 15-20# of drag. We are not Marlin fishing; no screaming runs.

6. Whole in the Water

Whole in the Water Well-Known Member

For my money I'd recommend a Shimano TLD 20 reel (once you use a thumb lever reel you want go back to a star drag). This is a time proven, reel the has great performance and reliability for the price.

As far as a rod goes, I like the Shimano Talora (low $) or Technium (mid $) or Trevala (higher $) as they all have stiff buts and sensitive tips, good action when anchored and putting the rod in the holder. I like Shimano rods, but there are many other good rods out there to chose from.

7. Stizzla

Stizzla Active Member

IMG_2531.JPG *Update:
    I got up Cabelas in Nanaimo and made my selection. I ended up with two of the Diawa Saltist 2 speed reels one size 35 and one 40. They were regular $489 on sale for $199. Also got an ugly stik rod 75% off for $39. Reviews online were solid. I'm a happy dude!
    Thanks again for your input guys!
    Steve

bigdogeh and Dogbreath like this.
  8. Fixit

Fixit Well-Known Member

Wow that's a good deal. I just got my first two speed reel a few months back for tuna and marlin... wow so nice having the low gear!

Stizzla likes this.
  9. Stizzla

Stizzla Active Member

Jealous! Marlin fishing sounds so fun.