Best time for Chum on the Cowie

Whole in the Water

I would like to try for some chum on the Cowichan. Anybody out there know when the best times to go and any general places on the river to catch 'em.[?] Thanks for any useful info.

November 14

Below the silver bridge. About a kilometer down just before native land. You can park at the Hatchery and walk in via the trails just past the tennis court area. There is a little bush bashing close to the river but really is no big deal. Use drift gear and Chartreuse wool.

If the water levels are up, the fish should be nice and chrome. If the levels are low in and around this time frame then you are up for black fish which should be left alone.

Have fun, it can be a good time!!

November 14

Below the silver bridge. About a kilometer down just before native land. You can park at the Hatchery and walk in via the trails just past the tennis court area. There is a little bush bashing close to the river but really is no big deal. Use drift gear and Chartreuse wool.

If the water levels are up, the fish should be nice and chrome. If the levels are low in and around this time frame then you are up for black fish which should be left alone.

Have fun, it can be a good time!!

What??????? Since when? Guess I haven't fished it for a couple seasons now.

Nov 14 is just a rough time frame. That date sticks out in my journals.

I am busy just prior to and just after that date. The 14th has always worked for me

What??????? Since when? Guess I haven't fished it for a couple seasons now.

Nov 14 is just a rough time frame. That date sticks out in my journals.

I am busy just prior to and just after that date. The 14th has always worked for me

Well there you go!

damn.

You'd think they would hit that river hard in the way of conservation and supplementation. A true Salmon hatchery is needed. That system has such a tremendous potential.
It's a shame they are letting it go to Sh$%^t.

try the chemanius I believe it is open for non-retention and gets plenty of chum. Check the regs though, things are changing often.

I believe that the wording of the regulations has the Cowichan River below Skutz Falls closed to angling until the end of the day, Nov. 15, 2007...first day of angling would be tomorrow, the 16th. Very possible I could be wrong...had happened before, once.:D

It is possible that the run is over. The Cowichan is known for a November run, but with all the water in the system and nobody fishing yet, it's hard to say. Maybe I'll have a look in the morning...;)

River started spiking through the night, so I passed and continued with chores...my intention was to throw a few feather hooks and conditions would probably be better with a float. Won't get a chance till Monday morning. I'll post after. Tight lines!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1655735&id=515455262

These 2 were speared at skuts falls, by a native fella , nice coho

Back