Best Tackle combo!

Stizzla

Crew Member
Hey all. Another easy going thread here...
If you had to pick two winter and two summer Chinook flasher and lure combo’s, and you could only use those two all year what are they?!

Mine:
Winter- 1) uv flasher red stripe - gold nugget coho killer
2) Gibbs lemon lime/uv glow flasher with green splatterback glow hootchie

Summer-1) gold Betsy flasher/bloody nose teaser head with 12 pack size (5 1/4”?) anchovy
2) green glow flasher and green and white coho killer.
This was tough to do. I have 30 plus flashers, and A pile of great lures that I had to pass up! Sorry AP, it was a toss up vs coho killer! Some days AP’s are the best for sure!
Cheers!

Last edited:
Im the type to stick to a certain few pieces of gear throughout the seasons anyways. I prefer to switch up other variables like depth, location, speed, leader length, whats playing on the stereo, etc before tinkering too much with colors or styles of lures/flashers/teasers. Maybe thats a flaw in the way I fish, but like a coach that favors his veterans, you just become comfortable with certain pieces of tackle and have confidence in their ability to produce.

In the winter: UV blade flasher with glow tape, spoon with glow. I prefer APs and coho killers usually.
In the summer: it varies more depending on conditions and location, but some combo of UV/glow/moonjelly/chrome for flashers, teaserheads and spoons.

Im the type to stick to a certain few pieces of gear throughout the seasons anyways. I prefer to switch up other variables like depth, location, speed, leader length, whats playing on the stereo, etc before tinkering too much with colors or styles of lures/flashers/teasers. Maybe thats a flaw in the way I fish, but like a coach that favors his veterans, you just become comfortable with certain pieces of tackle and have confidence in their ability to produce.

In the winter: UV blade flasher with glow tape, spoon with glow. I prefer APs and coho killers usually.
In the summer: it varies more depending on conditions and location, but some combo of UV/glow/moonjelly/chrome for flashers, teaserheads and spoons.
Thanks for sharing that and for that nice PM from the other day.

Yep 5 1/4 chovies the smaller presentation for me is what I like. Combined with double glow chartreuse flasher, purple haze teaser with stick on eyes. Wicked combo.

Yep 5 1/4 chovies the smaller presentation for me is what I like. Combined with double glow chartreuse flasher, purple haze teaser with stick on eyes. Wicked combo.
Nice, thanks! Where do you get the stick on eyes from?

late summer / fall - red or green label herring in a glow teaser with or without a chartreuse hotspot flasher

winter / spring - glow hoochie or some typle of green and glow spoon behind a glow chartreuse flasher

various sized 602 tomic plugs

basically could fish those four combos all year long and not need anything else

Purple haze flasher, green herring grand slam bucktail fly
Man last year, the Grand Slam Bucktails were by far by best lure in the Campbell River area. I don't fish winter so these are my summer picks.

Trolling
  • #1 - Purple haze flasher with 4" Purple Haze Herring Grand Slam Bucktail tied 42" to the nose...it was ridiculous. The 4" Blue Herring was also hot, I'd often run one each side. Several doubles over the short time I was out last summer.
  • #2 - 6" Tubby - RVP2#500ii plug - Several in the 20lb range and when you aren't fishing you can use it as a Christmas decoration as it just looks that awesome!
Jigging
  • Shimano Butterfly Jigs for the win...4-6oz in Chartreuse Glow or Phantom Squid. Rarely even try anything else while jigging for salmon now.
WW

Man last year, the Grand Slam Bucktails were by far by best lure in the Campbell River area. I don't fish winter so these are my summer picks.

I'll second that! Man, those Grand Slam Bucktails were the cats pyjama's out there last year, they way outperformed hoochies hands down. So fortunate to be able to pick them up locally from The Tackle Shack. I hope they increase their stock this year, they were flying off the shelves last summer.

Another killer combo last year was running a dummy flasher (Bon Chovy and Kinetic Glow) off the cannon ball and the RVP 500 or 602uvbii in 5" or 6" tubby. These also did well with no flasher.

I like my Moonjelly Lemon Lime flasher with a splatter back green glo hoochie

Also flash fly with a purple haze flasher or soon to be used black/Double crush glow flasher

602 Tomic Tubby 5" with about 4' above dummy flasher

kb84 & PL , curious how far behind the dummy you run the plug

Similar to kb84.

But I may go as short as 10' on the plug and typically 3' on the flasher leader length. I will sometimes go shorter to 10' when I'm fishing right on the bottom with the flasher with the purpose of having the plug or spoon closer as opposed to further from the flasher since the fish won't be any appreciable distance below and if anything, will be off to the side.

Thanks Guys, I did try some plugs a couple years ago and had some success but intend to give it a more serious attempt this year. Any comparison between using 11" or 8" dummies. I would assume a tighter roll with the 8" allowing tighter spacing of the flasher and plug?

Back