Best place to take 16 foot lund end of August

Hey everyone. Got an unforeseen week off and thinking of taking my 16 ft lund somewhere new for a week or so from August 21 to 28th.

Where's the best place to get some decent salmon inshore on the island? Would be leaving from the Southern Gulf islands? Thinking Port Renfrew, Bamfield or Nootka? Any other suggestions?

Thinking both logistics (camping, towing etc..) and fishing opportunity (actually getting into a few decent fish).

What do you think/suggest?

I like Ucluelet . Many Camping sites with in a few mins drive. Paved road all the way .Free launch and parking. Great food . Local shopping .Fishing right at harbour entrance. Many tyee size fish caught around that time of year. Other areas offer great experences as well but for logistics (camping, towing etc..) this would be my suggestion for your first trip to the area . This will be my 34th year in the area for Aug trips many of those years were in a 16 FT .

If pre-season forecast hold true somewhere on Barkley Sound (all the above places qualify).

Hey everyone. Got an unforeseen week off and thinking of taking my 16 ft lund somewhere new for a week or so from August 21 to 28th.

Where's the best place to get some decent salmon inshore on the island? Would be leaving from the Southern Gulf islands? Thinking Port Renfrew, Bamfield or Nootka? Any other suggestions?

Thinking both logistics (camping, towing etc..) and fishing opportunity (actually getting into a few decent fish).

What do you think/suggest?

I really like Port Alberni for a boat that size. Same size as mine. It is generally calm and protected. Camping at Arrowvale is very nice on the river and they have freezers you can use for your catch. There should be a mix of Chinook and Coho around.

Bamfield is perfect for a boat that size, a lot of great close spots and others where you can hide from the weather if need be and it should be prime time. Port Alberni is also good but it usually blows up late morning and blows all day making the evening bite a little uncomfortable lol

Where would you park your boat trailer after launching at Sooke? I was looking at the website for the resort and they say no trailer parking on the property.

Cheanuh marina....very close to great fishing spots. Great facility and parking.

Pedder Bay marina is great too.

Doing the same thing in the same style boat again this summer. Bamfield/Poett Nook is tough to beat, done it for several years now. You can fish right along the wall all day or across to Kirby etc. If you head that way keep an eye out for me in a 16ft aluminum. Enjoy!

Back