Best place to fish on the weekend

falcon1

Me and a couple buddies (Kadin if you are on this forum, Hi!) are thinking about going fishing this weekend. What is the most productive lake on Vancouver Island? How well are the carp biting at elk lake? I wouldn't mind a light tackle fight with a 10-15lb fish. Is corn the go to bait still?

wow,, hasn't corn been illegal for years now?

FISH CANNOT DIGEST CORN!!! IT KILLS THEM!!

This discussion was on the carp in elk lake thread. Trout won't take corn, neither will bass or perch. If I catch a carp, would you prefer I let it go?! It is illegal to scatter corn in the area you area you are fishing, or any other bait for that matter. Baiting your hook with corn is fine though.

X2 ^^^^
It's legal in Alberta and used almost exclusivley in some lakes while ice fishing, for what passes as Trout here.

in answer to your original question I have been having a lot of success on Langford Lake,early morning around the aerator,wedding bands, gang trolls etc down deep or just a fly on the surface. flying ant worked well last time out
Good luck

Corn is legal in lakes, try Pautzkes Fire Corn, they work for Kokanee and Trout. There is some debate about using it if you are practicing catch and release because it is difficult for fish to digest, but if you're out to fill the tub at a stocked lake, have at her, just don't use it to Chum or in places on the Island where wild fish are predominant.

Thanks guys! Would corn really have such a negative effect on a 10lb fish? It will be at most 5 kernels, so not much.

Try jamming a kernal of corn up a 10 lb fish's arse and let us know... :D

They cant really digest it and who is to say a smaller trout wouldn't grab a fall off. It is not a healthy practice.

Thanks guys! Would corn really have such a negative effect on a 10lb fish? It will be at most 5 kernels, so not much.

Of course it won't! This stuff about corn killing fish is utter nonsense. See my post on the Elk lake carp thread with link embedded there.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?10403-Elk-Lake-Carp/page7

I reiterate carp are caught with corn all the time in U.K. and chumming (called ground baiting) is allowed there too. Carp do NOT die and neither will trout. Has no one caught trout with all kind's of weird things inside them? Gravel, twigs, leaves, plastic eggs?? I mean come on, let not keep repeating these old wives tales.....!!:rolleyes:

Don't carp eat quite a bit more in the way of vegetation? Maybe digestion is a little different?

It was common using corn in certain lakes 20 years ago.. at those certain lakes you would catch them (trout) with lots of corn in their gut. I'm fairly sure it wasn't from ground baiting but couldn't be positive.

Lol was just going to use the same link you posted in the other thread :D Till I actually looked

Falcon, it is a great time of year for trout fishing... Any lake could be the best place to fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your in the Victoria area,Durrance Lake is pretty good fishing this time of year. Powerbait eggs in red or chartruese
work really well on the bottom. They're really light biters in there,so you have to keep a close eye on your rod tip.Nice
1 to 1.5 lbers in there and great eating this time of year.

Good to know, thanks English. I didn't see how corn would be bad as I am nearly positive corn bits are in most powerbaits. Now a days corn is in almost everything. I own a fish tank with an oscar, a pleco and a catfish. My oscar is an absolute pig and eats the food meant for my pleco and my catfish. Algae wafers, lettuce, shimp pellets, cucumber... he once stuffed his mouth full of so many peas that they kept shooting back out. All this eating of food not meant for him never caused any health issues. For those of you who don't know, oscars are predators, and do not eat plant material in the wild. So you could compare him to the trout and the pleco to the carp.

No.

Huh...I heard the same for powerbaits, plastic, metal, hooks, weights & fishing line.

Of course it won't! This stuff about corn killing fish is utter nonsense. See my post on the Elk lake carp thread with link embedded there.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?10403-Elk-Lake-Carp/page7

I reiterate carp are caught with corn all the time in U.K. and chumming (called ground baiting) is allowed there too. Carp do NOT die and neither will trout. Has no one caught trout with all kind's of weird things inside them? Gravel, twigs, leaves, plastic eggs?? I mean come on, let not keep repeating these old wives tales.....!!:rolleyes:

^

As for fishing this weekend....anywhere that doesn't have dogs running through your line :D

I have tried to do my usual and just lurk and follow this but I couldn't. I could add several points to this but there is no point so I will keep my response short and to the point.

All I can say is this thread cracks me up as does the other "Safe to Eat" thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
how big is your pleco English? Mine is about 8". My oscar is the ultimate runt. Over 1 year old, probably about 1.5 yrs, and is only 5 1/2" even though he has a massive appetite.

Back