Best location for downriggers

B

Bravefart

My boat has a inboard/outboard that, I don't mind. It gives me a seat/working area.
I am thinking of removing the sleeper seat (that is never used for sleeping)and rebuilding it as a single seat.
This would allow more room in the fishing area.
My question is what is the preferred location for downriggers,
At present my downriggers are as far back towards the transom as I can get them.
I am thinking about relocating them to the center.
I checked out the "Wolfs" Blue charter website and he has his riggers located at the middle of the boat. This makes sense as it will make it easier getting to the downriggers, and also will make more room when using the kicker.

Will relocating the riggers to the center of the boat cause problems getting them wrapped around the prop. Or does the wire get down below the prop out of harms way?
I fish mostly at the Sandheads at the entrance to the Fraser the currents there are fierce and I have had the wire round the prop a couple of times.
What are your Pros or Cons.

Davie

quote:
My boat has a inboard/outboard the motor cover gives me a seat/working area.
I am thinking of removing the sleeper seat (that is never used for sleeping)and rebuilding it as a single seat.
This would allow more room in the fishing area.
My question is what is the preferred location for downriggers,
At present my downriggers are as far back towards the transom as I can get them.
I am thinking about relocating them to the center.
I checked out the "Wolfs" Blue charter website and he has his riggers located at the middle of the boat. This makes sense as it will make it easier getting to the downriggers, and also will make more room when using the kicker.

Will relocating the riggers to the center of the boat cause problems getting them wrapped around the prop. Or does the wire get down below the prop out of harms way?
I fish mostly at the Sandheads at the entrance to the Fraser the currents there are fierce and I have had the wire round the prop a couple of times.
What are your Pros or Cons.

Davie

I as well have them mounted away from the stern. I find it easier to rig them up. Doesen't matter where you put them, the wire CAN find it's way too the prop's. Just need to be aware of the currents and your turns. Also, the use of a 15# ball helps prevent this.

I know the area you talk about, and it can get frustrating around there but I have never wound one up.

"One vote for relocating them"

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

if you troll with a kicker get one of those prop bands to protect it.Problem solved.
I do now and always have had my DR's as far back as possible.When playing a fish you just spin them back and they are out of the way.Less to snag your net on.Also,they aren't in the way for climbing in and out or pulling traps.On a previos boat I replaced the sleepers with swivel fishing seats.Worked great,except when it came to sell the boat.Every one wanted the sleepers.Make sure you save them.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

I have mine electrics rigged as far back as they can conveinently be... on the top well area where my outboard sits...

Bravefart yes I have mine up as far as I can for lots of reasons, which ill explain.

1. When you swival them pointing them to the back there right where you want to put clips on very handy so your never reaching over them all the time which after a day on the water can hurt ones back.

2.When playing a fish there never in the way you have all the room at the back of the boat I even swival them to the bow of the boat so there completly out of the way because as you know sometimes with beginners its hard for them to control a fish.

3.With the long arm downriggers its almost impossable to get it in the prop I dont even use a prop guard Ive never gotten it caught in the prop the only time I did was on swiftsure bank on a very bad turn (my fault) and very very nasty weather.

4.Out of the way of my back deck I cant tell you how many times I have seen guys with the riggers at the back of the transom loose there fish because it has wrapped around the rigger or the cannon ball hanging down and snap fish gone. Where mine are never happens, I have always tried every way of doing things on a boat and if theres a way of something happening on a boat it will I like my days on the water to be as stress free as I can make them and losing a fish that way would bother me so I make it as easy and simple and stress free as I can

Hope that helps

Good luck Wolf

Not that I would ever disagree with Wolf, but I have a different take on the mounting of down riggers.
Mine are mounted as far back on my transom as I could have them. Both are long arm Scotties and have pedestal swivel mounts.
When fishing for springs, both rigs are brought up to the surface and rotated forward out of the way. I also use a lanyard retrieval line on the cable so I don't have to lean out when I clip on.
I also fish in high traffic and at times fast currents (14 knots) so I need to be able to turn quickly without worrying about catching the prop. The further forward mounted your rigs the less turning radius you have.
But that's just me.

boc

True blueorca but it also depends on the size of boat too and where your fishing!!!!!!!!! mostly here in sooke you dont get those strong of currents your usually trolling up and down the beaches with no problem.

Wolf

And I miss fishing Sooke too! I had to rig my boat to fish Port Alberni and Nootka which offer lighter currents but also for Johnstone Strait.
Also right now we're down sometimes past the 250 mark so the cables are getting back aways.

boc

It also depends on the beam of your boat and the length of the arms on your riggers. In a smaller boat with short-armed riggers you will likely have troubles crossing rigger lines and hooking your prop in strong currents, especially if you don't mount the rigger near the stern.

Of course boats and riggers come in all shapes and sizes so you need to figure out what works best for your situation. As was noted, a heavier ball helps a lot. I use a 15 pound ball because it works better in a current, especially the deeper you go (and also because I have electric riggers--I get enough exercise at the gym).

Like Wolf, I wouldn't like to go ALL the way back to the stern because it's harder to reach the clip when you load and reload. As luck would have it, I moved my rigger back toward the stern leaving just enough room to still reach the clip with the arm out AND had just enough room to swivel the arm to the stern so the ball comes out of the water and hangs just behind the boat, out of the way of incoming fish. I simply swivel the arm forward to remove or install the ball.

Swivel bases are worth every penny for ease of use and should help your setup no matter where you mount the riggers.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Edited by - red monster on 02/07/2006 14:15:50

I like the way my boat is set up it's 17.5 feet and I fish mainly with one other guy or by myself. I also have 5 foot booms on my scotty electrics so with a 6.4 beam on my boat I am over 16 feet from tip of boom to tip of boom which works great for tight turns. I use the scotty weight retrievers so I don't need to lean out when putting on the clips or cannon balls. I use to have them right at the back but like them where the are now better. I also have mine on swivels bases. However what works for me on my boat may not work for others on there boat. Here's a pic of my boat.

http://www.funfisher.com/picsite/albums/userpics/10084/normal_MyEscapeSox.jpg

Cheers Kev

Edited by - MyEscape on 02/07/2006 10:03:36

Depending on the shape of your boat,why drill more holes in the gunnels? Every ones boat has a dif. set-up but when you get a system down for what to do when that fish is coming up,every time you will feel like a pro.The really tough one is on a new boat that you are not familliar with and have to decide where to mount them.I don't like holes drilled all over the place on any boat.Careful planning measuring and sometimes a wack of research can help.Welded aluminum boats are great in this aspect,if you don't like it...Cut and move reweld,sand, polish old spot done.(sounds easier than it is!)I have a new boat coming in the near future(I hope)and I always look at as many applications similar to what I want on other boats,keep the photos for referece or take notes as we have all seen some pretty strange things done out there on peoples boats but sometimes that idea isn't so bad!

something else to think about,I use my scotty mount for my prawn puller.If you plan on doing the same,make sure its gonna be in a good spot for pullin in traps.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

Thats why mine is there i donmt ebven have to coil it half the time it does it on its on right on my deck.

Wolf

Appreciate the response
Looks like some of you like them back, and others prefer the middle of the boat setup.
As pointed out and I aggree, it does depend on your boat"s layout.
So what I am think I am going to do, is relocate one of the downriggers and see how that works out with my boat.

Thanks Davie

Back