Best 25 footer

kaelc

So I'm on the hunt for a fishing and cruising boat, and could use some input. I live in Victoria and love to fish Constance, Boarder Bank and Sooke. I have a small family and want to spend time in the gulf islands and san juans. I have dreams of heading to desolation and rivers inlet next year and maybe the inside package in 2019 or 2020.

Would love a boat that sleeps 4, stand up head, hot water. Currently looking at C-Dory and Ranger Tug 25. Budget is under 100k, preferably half of that and I have my own Nav/radio package to install. Thanks for sharing your family cruising experience or dream boats in advance.

Last edited:
I would look at a 27 skagit orca. Either that or a seasport. I have a friend with a 24 and it's a really nice boat. Might be a little tight for 4 if you went with the 24 so I personally look for a 27 with a diesel. They are trailerable and have pretty good sized fuel tanks in them. They also ride nice in crappy weather .

Agree with "Thunder21" hard to beat either Skagit or Seasport for quality build and ride.Either go for a diesel or outboard if you can find one.

I would look at a 27 skagit orca. Either that or a seasport. I have a friend with a 24 and it's a really nice boat. Might be a little tight for 4 if you went with the 24 so I personally look for a 27 with a diesel. They are trailerable and have pretty good sized fuel tanks in them. They also ride nice in crappy weather .
The only thing is do either the Skagit or Seasport sleep 4? The C-dory has to be customized a little, while the Ranger has a bunk under the table which also turns into a berth.

So I'm on the hunt for a fishing and cruising boat, and could use some input. I live in Victoria and love to fish Constance, Boarder Bank and Sooke. I have a small family and want to spend time in the gulf islands and san juans. I have dreams of heading to desolation and rivers inlet next year and maybe the inside package in 2019 or 2020.

Would love a boat that sleeps 4, stand up head, hot water. Currently looking at C-Dory and Ranger Tug 25. Budget is under 100k, preferably half of that and I have my own Nav/radio package to install. Thanks for sharing your family cruising experience or dream boats in advance.
I went to San Diego a few years ago and bought a 26' Skipjack (one of the few mfg that makes a diesel in that length) with a flybridge. The positives-with a 6 cyl diesel below decks, very stable ,economical,400 + NM range,with flybridge gives an open galley where you can sit and look out,great visibility when traveling, sleeps 3 or 4 with kids on the make down table, full head,shower,alcohol stove. check sdboats.com, yachtworld.com,skipjack.com

The only thing is do either the Skagit or Seasport sleep 4? The C-dory has to be customized a little, while the Ranger has a bunk under the table which also turns into a berth.
I could be wrong but I thought the table folded into a small bed.

Do you plan on trailering?The Seasport could sleep 4 with 2 smaller kids but if you don't plan on trailering it you might as well go for wider beam,moorage is the same.Moorage,fuel,haul out for maintenance all adds up if your travelling all the time from a home port.Hard to decide,I know.

I think you will find that sleeping 4 is the biggest problem with a trailer-able boat. Sleeping 4 puts you in a boat over 26 ft I think you will find. You have a healthy budget and should find a nice boat regardless. Tenmile had a nice 2858 Bayliner that was a nice boat and would be in your budget and think it would fit your needs nicely.

That
Commander
looks like it is in amazing shape and comes pretty equipped. It is amazing how quickly those little things like a dingy and kicker add up. That
26' Skipjack
looks good as well and that range sounds outright amazing. I can't afford a big truck, place to put the boat right now, so planning on trailering once or twice a year. My brother has a Bayliner 28XX and I think range really suffers when you move to the 30 footers with the 454 plus.

I agree that sleeping 4 is going to be tough. I've got a 26 Hourston myself and I think what I'm going to do is get a full canvas enclosure for the back deck made. That way when I go deer hunting and prawning etc in the fall a guy can sleep in the cuddy and another can throw a cot out. That way nobody is cramped on the table and you gain a ton of covered area. If you've got a wife and kids maybe 3 could sleep up front and you could pack a small cot.

Back