Bennett trim tab actuator o ring replacement

Chasin' Dreams

I've got a leaking Bennett trim tab actuator from the piston o ring. I see online that Bennett will replace defective o rings free of charge and ship them to you but I'm planning on being out on the water soon and want to replace the o ring asap. I've already got the actuator apart and have the o ring. I'm wondering does anyone know if these are standard o rings that I can get at most marine suppliers or are they are made of denser rubber or other material that is more durable for this kind of application?
The piston o ring size is -220 and the actuator top cap o ring is -224 it says on their website parts list.

It's also interesting that on Bennett's website their instructions for replacing the piston o ring says to install the o ring on the upper slot on the piston (there's two slots an upper and lower on the piston for the o ring) however when I took the actuator apart the factory o ring was on the lower slot on the piston. Perhaps it moved to the lower slot during use and caused the leak, or maybe it was put on the wrong slot at the factory.

I bet you can go to summit tools and buy an O ring kit and find a match. My cousin just did this for me for my framing nailers. Kit cost like 6 bucks

I bet you can go to summit tools and buy an O ring kit and find a match. My cousin just did this for me for my framing nailers. Kit cost like 6 bucks
Thanks Dan. It turned out ito was a defective cylinder. I put new o rings on and put some atf in it and pressurized it with some air and it was still leaking down the cylinder wall. They are just thin plastic so I'm not surprised they can be defective over time. I lucked out and West Marine had one actuator left so I got it at 50% off due to their store closing sale. Only cost me $50 and it's all fixed up and ready to go on the water again.

Attachments

• 20170521_113906.jpg
    20170521_113906.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 45
Thanks Dan. It turned out ito was a defective cylinder. I put new o rings on and put some atf in it and pressurized it with some air and it was still leaking down the cylinder wall. They are just thin plastic so I'm not surprised they can be defective over time. I lucked out and West Marine had one actuator left so I got it at 50% off due to their store closing sale. Only cost me $50 and it's all fixed up and ready to go on the water again.
Hey CD did you install the oring in the top slot or bottom? I just took mine apart and the oring is in the top slot and as you mentioned yours was on the bottom and the oring on their website shows the oring on the bottom slot of the piston.

thx Scott

Hey CD did you install the oring in the top slot or bottom? I just took mine apart and the oring is in the top slot and as you mentioned yours was on the bottom and the oring on their website shows the oring on the bottom slot of the piston.

thx Scott
Trying to remember which slot I put the O ring onto. It was 3 1/2 years ago now but I think I did it as the instructions on their website but mine was still leaking and it wasn't from the O rings, it ended up being a warn shaft was allowing some fluid/air to get between so I just replaced the whole unit.

Trying to remember which slot I put the O ring onto. It was 3 1/2 years ago now but I think I did it as the instructions on their website but mine was still leaking and it wasn't from the O rings, it ended up being a warn shaft was allowing some fluid/air to get between so I just replaced the whole unit.
Thx CD.

Back