BC Supreme Court delivers ruling in fish farming c

G

gimp

One for the wild salmon - BC Supreme Court delivers ruling in fish farming case
Feb 9th, 2009 4:27 PM
Media Release
Attn: Wildlife/Environment/Legal/Political/News Reporters and Editors

ONE FOR THE WILD SALMON!

Vancouver, B.C., February 9, 2009 - Today BC Supreme Court ruled that the BC government does not have the right to regulate salmon farms - the BC regulation of fish farms has become unlawful, unconstitutional and invalid. The fish inside the farm are now considered a fishery, not agriculture and thus the federal government has exclusive right to regulation. The court suspended the ruling for a period of 12 months to allow the federal government to bring in proper legislation.

On September 29 - October 3, 2008, the case Alexandra Morton et al vs the A.G. of British Columbia and Marine Harvest Canada, Vancouver Registry, No. S083198 was argued in BC Supreme Court before Mr. Justice Hinkson. Filed under the Judicial Review Procedure Act, RSBC, c. 241 the Petitioners sought a declaration that the statutory provisions of British Columbia's Aquaculture Regulatory Regime - sections 13(5) and 26(2)(a) of the Fisheries Act (B.C.) - be declared unconstitutional and of no force or effect by virtue of section 52 of the Constitution, which states that the regulation of Canada's fisheries is under the sole jurisdiction of the Federal Crown and cannot be delegated to the provinces.

When salmon farming arrived on this coast very little was know about it, today know much, much more. Just last week the provincially funded Pacific Salmon Forum called for restructioning of the fish farm regulatory regime now we have the opportunity to do something that makes sense.

The response from Alexandra Morton, lead petitioner in the case, is one of relief and joy. "Finally, the government agency in charge of fish farms is mandated to put wild salmon first. This has come none too soon as provincial management of fish farms is devastating many coastal communities."

"Because the province is not responsible for the oceans, the impact of fish farms on the oceans became nobody's business and this is how we got into this mess," explains Morton.

"The B.C. salmon farming industry is largely foreign and facing severe global economic and disease problems," says Morton. "What makes countries wealthy is their resources and wild salmon are an extremely valuable fishery to the benefit of the BC economy."

"I would like to thank my lawyer, Greg McDade, the hundreds of people who supported this via www.adopt-a-fry.org", says Morton, "West Coast Environmental Law and many others for their help. There is an enormous amount of work ahead, but this court has illuminated a path though the chaos. The war in the water should be over. Our wild salmon are down but they are not out!"

Picture002-1.jpg

My question is now what are the fish farms gonna try to do NEXT

Picture002-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by gimp
My question is now what are the fish farms gonna try to do NEXT
Same old/same/old that is to say apply to the Govt for 'relief'.

That means them/their lawyers having meeting after meeting with senior provincial govt officials, crying on their shoulders and looking for ways around this, all the while looking for sympathetic shoulders in Ottawa to do the same with.

Cry/b*tch/****/moan is the name of the game for them now.

Shortly we'll see the paid apologists for releasing stories to the media about all the 'good people' in Salmon aquaculture and how hard done by they all are just trying to make a living Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.....[V]

Oh and of course the same flunkies/poodles (we all know who they are here) will start posting the same lies over and over and over.

So in the short term nothing will change in the long term who knows?

Another question is "How does this change things in terms of the upcoming provincial election</u>"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Actually I suspect that this ruling will be overturned on appeal.

This has too many far reaching consequences in Federal and provincial relations though out the entire country to stand for too long.

Funny how things go, but the aquaculture people have been trying to get recognised as agriculture and away from DFO for years. This would have removed DFO from its conflict position. The only reason that aquaculture is in DFO is because way back when it all started in the 70's the only government department with any experience was DFO and its Hatchery people.

BTW, just because DFO has to put wild first, does not mean that they will stop any activity, including rec angling if they do not see it as a detriment. The ruling does not really mean anything with regard to aquaculture.

One bright light is there should be plenty of new jobs created at DFO to look after the fish farms.

I am flabbergasted as to how a judge can rule that a fish farm is a fishery. Kind of like calling a beef ranch a hunting preserve.

Sockeye,

Do you have knowledge of an appeal actually being made?

Incidentally, this is going to affect the industry in more than one way.

1)The growing opposition to this filthy industry can now bring its guns to bear on one administrative source (Dead Fish Organization) rather than having to deal with the frustrating deflection-tactics between to the two previous governing agencies.

2) Because the DFO now has not the Province to blame for it's own failure to protect Wild Pacific Salmon by virtue of its sanctioning of this horrific industry - which, as far as inflicting harm on our precious Wild Salmon goes, constitutes a genuine ENVIRONMENTAL HOLOCAUST - I fully expect the next court challenge (DFO vs the People of Canada: Dereliction of Duty to Protect) will hang the industry, once and for all!

Standing for Wild Salmon,

Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

Terry,

No I do not know of any appeal, but it would seem logical that one would be launched simply because of all the other activites around the country which operate under similar agreements, and I am not just referring to aquaculture.

In addition, you should educate yourself on the licensing process. When the Feds signed the MOU in 1988, it allowed the province to oversee, or simply administer the licensing of aquaculture. It did not remove the DFO from its obligations, and the DFO are very active in the licensing review and approval process. In other words, every fish farm site has been granted by DFO. Without DFO approval, the province is not ALLLOWED to grant any license. So Terry, this "victory in the courts" really does not change much, just the name on the letterhead.

I am worried about you, you seem to be frothing at the mouth, maybe you should lay off the forums for a while. Take some time to relax. I am sure they will get to the fish farm issue right after all the cases referring to habitat degradation from forestry, urban debvelopment, commercial and recreational overharvest, etc....

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

I am flabbergasted as to how a judge can rule that a fish farm is a fishery. Kind of like calling a beef ranch a hunting preserve.
You suspect or you are hoping it will be overturned. Also as you are flabbergasted as to something going against fish farming. You now know how I feel about your rhetoric and the denial of the Norwegian fish farm companies. These companies and their double standards in each country as they spread there filth. They only do what they are required to do nothing more. Not what is right. How about one standard all over the world Closed Containment.. Peace Out

Picture002-1.jpg

Gees Gimp, You are starting to foam like Terry. I suggest taking a break from the forums for a while.

If you read my post after that you would see why I suspect it will be overturned, and why it really doesn't change much. It is not the BIG Victory you all think it is.

No foam here =) I just call them like I see them. I read what you posted don't get me wrong. Please don't assume that I didn't read your entire post. You know what they say about people that make assumptions. You are right its a Victory for those opposed to open pen fish farming. How big a victory is up to the individual you can down play it and I can rejoice we will know more in the future. For now i was hoping you would care to share with us the differences in regulations in Canada, Chile & Norway.

Picture002-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

This has too many far reaching consequences in Federal and provincial relations though out the entire country to stand for too long.

Funny how things go, but the aquaculture people have been trying to get recognised as agriculture and away from DFO for years. This would have removed DFO from its conflict position. The only reason that aquaculture is in DFO is because way back when it all started in the 70's the only government department with any experience was DFO and its Hatchery people.

BTW, just because DFO has to put wild first, does not mean that they will stop any activity, including rec angling if they do not see it as a detriment. The ruling does not really mean anything with regard to aquaculture.

One bright light is there should be plenty of new jobs created at DFO to look after the fish farms.

sockeyefry - If you're so interested - you should read the full judgement. It's like 76 pages long - about 10 times the length of most decisions.

In it, there are very specific legal reasons for the "fishery" designation. They all make sense to me, when I read them. Maybe you (and others on this forum) would find it enlightening, as well.

Agent can you provide me with a link to the 76 page ruling as I am unable to locate it also here's some more news.

VANCOUVER, B.C. — Federal NDP fisheries critic Peter Julian says he is "appalled" that the federal government doesn't have a contingency plan in place after the B.C. Supreme Court ruled Ottawa should take over management of the controversial salmon farm industry.

The Supreme Court declared this week that the federal government, not the province, should regulate fish farms because it has jurisdiction over the ocean.

The ruling gave Ottawa a year to bring in new legislation so fish farms can be licensed by the federal Fisheries Department.

In Ottawa on Wednesday, Julian asked Fisheries Minister Gail Shea what the Conservative government plans to do as a result of the ruling, which he said was expected for months.

Under fire in the House of Commons, Shea said the government could not have known what would happen until the ruling was formally declared just a few days ago, but Julian said the government should have been prepared.

"I am absolutely appalled that on an issue that is so important to British Columbia, the ministry of fisheries and the minister have obviously done no preparatory work whatsoever," Julian, the MP for Burnaby-New Westminster, said in an interview.

"They've been given responsibility. You would expect them to have in place a contingency plan for just the possibility of that decision going the way it did."

For now, Shea said Ottawa and Victoria will continue to work together to jointly manage the aquaculture industry.

"We do have a one-year window to work with the province of B.C. and we will be doing that," she said in the Commons.

Shea said the government has set aside $1 billion for communities in need and if there is a need in the B.C. salmon industry, those funds are available.

Julian said British Columbians deserve better.

"It's very clear that no thought has gone into this whatsoever," he said.

Ottawa delegated responsibility for licensing fish farms to the provinces in the late 1980s.

In B.C., fish farms are currently licensed by the provincial Agriculture Ministry. In New Brunswick, which also has a large fish-farming industry, they're regulated by the department of Agriculture and Aquaculture.

Fish farm critics say sea lice from the open net-cage farms have been killing wild salmon who migrate past them.

Julian said that with the serious environmental concerns fish farms are facing, he'd like to see the federal government move to a plan that provides transition funding for closed containment of fish farms.

Picture002-1.jpg

Gail Shea the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans in Ottawa.
(Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca)

Picture002-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by gimp

Agent can you provide me with a link to the 76 page ruling as I am unable to locate it
try: http://huffstrategy.com/MediaManager/Media/Text/1234219693_Motion.pdf

the judge explains his reasoning starting on page 43, and his reasoning on the fishery designation starting on page 47 - 55.

That's where the meat of this decision is, for those who want to zero-in on the judgement, rather than reading the entire report.

You know sockeye fried I took your advice and started educating myself on this subject.
First I looked up the feed that you said came from South America. Hmmm you stated that it did not come from fish byproducts... not wrong not totally right. More like by catch as the major composition, by products is also part but studies have not put a number on this.
Oh also checked to see if Canada was making any feed and they seemed to mention in this study that the feed was not fish meal but poultry by-products.
This is just part of the study by West Coast Aqua culture had done.
Amazing what you can find on google eh?
You like to make your smug comments as if you know everything well I will be on your butt after every smug comment with answers and proof.
I would think that your efforts in salmonid enhancement programs would be more appreciated and have more positive results than supporting a destructive program such as salmon farming.

IMG_1445.jpg

Gun,

You are seriously starting to become incoherent. What are you talking about?

Actually I have worked in salmonid enhancement, about 10 years. Raised everything from brook trout to sockeye. Done a lot of stream enhancement work and even used the odd vibert box.

Aqua, Thanks for the link, I shall have a read.

You have a short memory you make statements and then forget them. Tell me you must be senile. You call me incoherent when you have no response to what I have to say.

IMG_1445.jpg

Back