BC Coastal Cutthroat trout

CVmike

thease fish can get quite large .i don't expect anyone just to give decades of info away ,but just simple reports and picks from your outings on the larger lakes.

The fry in the creeks sure needed the rain.Seen good numbers of 3" fish at outlet and streams in the back country.

That's the rule of thumb for these fish .big fish eats little fish.caught a 12" tiploid missing it's tail to the adipose fin with a healed scar last year . They eat triploid's and prity much anything you present correctly to them.Anyone caught a good size cuttie in a rain shower?I've caught them between showers.Never in the rain thou.

Some of my most productive days for cutties were stormy. I had a hard time leaving the lake during a hail storm one time. Got a few 4+ cutties trolling super fast! I say the nastier the storm the faster the troll. I think the pressure changes and stormy weather causes the fry and baitfish to move out of the shallows and shoreline. Try fishing more open water areas then normal.

-KK

Another week and coho will be tight lipped in the chuck ,so i will take the gear to the lake for a soaking at some favorite haunts.Before nov 1, last year was a bust , this year larger craft is needed to fish the lakes in late oct.Can't bail hail or snow ,you know.

Look in the creeks in high alpine in june /july, and you will see them going from small lakes to ponds in good numbers .Could be they are spawning or just looking for food as there is sill ice on the lakes .It's fun to catch a horse fly and feed them . Those one's deserve to be there own sub- species as do sea-run in lakes. i look for reports on other CCT sub species in lakes here on the coast, as they have fewer predators and less extreme environment.

I've never seen a Pike Minnow problem in a Cuttthroat lake. I've often thought some Cutththroat stocking in would take a dent out of over abundant pike minnow populations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen one either .kennedy lake reigen 1, has pikeminnow and cutthroat population is lower than expected ,so iam told pike minnow lives with higher toxins in there systems.so if ingested by a trout that trout now lives with the toxin build up

I've never seen one either .kennedy lake reigen 1, has pikeminnow and cutthroat population is lower than expected ,so iam told pike minnow lives with higher toxins in there systems.so if ingested by a trout that trout now lives with the toxin build up .cutthroat can only survive at low toxin level so build up eventually kills the fish.

Lake washington has searun ,pike minnow are present there too .usa has more info on pike minnow and CCT.

I bet they would,CV. Cleaned a 3lb. cutty a few years ago that had a fairly large (3-4") mouse in its gut.Wondered how the hell he got the thing down its throat!

I also cleaned one with a mouse in it and it was way smaller than 3 lbs. LOL. I remember thinking the same thing, how the hell did it eat that? LOL

I have many CCT seasons fished topo gigio . long 2/0 ,kevblk thread,blk bead eyes, gray deer body ,rabbit strip tail and legs,electric motor slow,along rockslopes where there is a hole in the wall.one day i will construct another as hook is rusted.Never catch a thing.

Small plugs with red bodies and green heads should be working pretty soon methinks.

Almost any lake with Kokanee harbors big cutties and they like poor crippled ready to spawn small red and green "fish."

100 feet back with a light weight and cover Kokanee spawning areas.

Go get'em.

Take care.

With water bodies so low .The kokanee must spawn in shallower sections of the lakes, when the lakes rises to winter levels, kokanee reds will be in deeper cold water. Do you think this matters for the kokanee survival?

With water bodies so low .The kokanee must spawn in shallower sections of the lakes, when the lakes rises to winter levels, kokanee reds will be in deeper cold water. Do you think this matters for the kokanee survival?

Don't have any research for you but I doubt it would adversely impact their survival.
Probably take longer for eggs to hatch in colder water but not sure how many ATU's required for them.

They've survived thousands of years so far and most likely had similar conditions in the past.

The opposite scenario would be bad however, particularly if their redds dried up.

Because they are fall spawners that is highly unlikely though, given our normal precipitation levels.

Take care.

Don't have any research for you but I doubt it would adversely impact their survival.
Probably take longer for eggs to hatch in colder water but not sure how many ATU's required for them.

They've survived thousands of years so far and most likely had similar conditions in the past.

The opposite scenario would be bad however, particularly if their redds dried up.

Because they are fall spawners that is highly unlikely though, given our normal precipitation levels.

Take care.
Careful about the assumptions about temperature at depth. The densest fresh water happens at 4 degrees C - not zero. In the winter, many lakes in Canada have a colder layer on the top (verses the bottom at 4C). Deeper (in the winter) often means warmer verses colder water. Then there is also groundwater upwelling through redds, as well. Often, it is quite a bit warmer than the ambient lake water. So - many factors to consider - but you can bet the spawning fish know this all better than us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back