Barkely Sound Springs

IronNoggin

Well, the Poet Nook Derby is over for another year. Sadly, the herring, and their trailing predators largely moved out of the Sound a day or two before the derby, resulting in 90 % of the boats hooking nothing over the two days. We managed to land one 10 lber the first day, and lost one that would have been a serious contender (no details, don't want to relive that painful moment!). First prize: 21 lbs & change, 2nd 21 bang on, third, 18 & change. A few little schools here and there was all. Main body well outside (7 and 10 mile banks) of the boundary. Loads of folks, from as far away as Van, Alberta and Washington - GREAT turnout, great support! Thanks to all for supporting this one!
We did not even drop a line the second day, chosing instead to drive the truck down for the prize assignment. My partner walked away with a weekend's moorage and cabin for 4 at the marina, however I guess I was paying my dues for previous winnings, and I went home with nothing more than a smile. The 'planning session' for cashing in buddy's winnings went waaaay late last eve, the head is still somewhat LARGE today.
Weather was as good as it ever gets, and we had fun dispite the lack of pounding rods.
Expect the changing moon will bring the fish back in within a few days (fishing HAD been great right up to a day or two before the derby), and it should get right HOT out there again. We'll be there! Hope to see some of you on the pond SOON
Tight Lines...

Slooooooow! Water low, cold and clear. Was supposed to go today, but work reared it's ugly head. OUCH! WILL be going tomorrow. Letcha know...;)

Slooooooow! Water low, cold and clear. Was supposed to go today, but work reared it's ugly head. OUCH! WILL be going tomorrow. Letcha know...;)

Stamp low, LOW and GIN. Fish distributed in weird places, extremely spooky, terminal shy, and in far removed pockets, BUT they are there. 2 rods, 11 day before, and 9 yesterday. 3 of yest's had SEA LICE. a couple of HUGE size! Almost no-one out, they seem to think the season's over. Ha Ha! It ain't!
Be prepared for effort though, covered 5 - 6 miles each day.
Tight Lines...

Stamp low, LOW and GIN. Fish distributed in weird places, extremely spooky, terminal shy, and in far removed pockets, BUT they are there. 2 rods, 11 day before, and 9 yesterday. 3 of yest's had SEA LICE. a couple of HUGE size! Almost no-one out, they seem to think the season's over. Ha Ha! It ain't!
Tight Lines...

Tight Lines...

Hey Nogin, have you been fishing the sound since the derby? I missed the derb, as I didnt have the boat ready in time. Got out for a while on Fri. But pretty Slow! 2 Smallies for about 5 hrs trolling.
All the sea lions are gone out of Effingham, so Im going to go on a scouting mission tomorrow, and see wassup! All that bait had to go somewhere, and I dont think its all offshore. Was talking to a bud who was on the S. Bank the other day and said he did pretty good, but there should still be some screamers on the inside. They will probably show up around the same time they have the herring opening.
Will post tomorows showing on here if its worth talking about.

Hey Nogin, have you been fishing the sound since the derby? I missed the derb, as I didnt have the boat ready in time. Got out for a while on Fri. But pretty Slow! 2 Smallies for about 5 hrs trolling.
All the sea lions are gone out of Effingham, so Im going to go on a scouting mission tomorrow, and see wassup! All that bait had to go somewhere, and I dont think its all offshore. Was talking to a bud who was on the S. Bank the other day and said he did pretty good, but there should still be some screamers on the inside. They will probably show up around the same time they have the herring opening.

Dick!!! Flogged it from Sechart to main bay, watching the herring fleet all morning. They should be fishing by Mon, or Tues at the latest. Lots of bait in Main bay, marked lots of fish to , but no takers. Next time!

Dick!!! Flogged it from Sechart to main bay, watching the herring fleet all morning. They should be fishing by Mon, or Tues at the latest. Lots of bait in Main bay, marked lots of fish to , but no takers. Next time!

Part of the problem now Prowler, is that with THAT much fodder around, the black-mouths get sated waaaay fast. Bite's only on for about 1.5 hours twice daily, and then you're competing with a virtual natural feast. Heard one of the lads did quite well yesterday at first slack in Mayne Bay. Also tagged a few over to Rainy. All those kept were literally plugged with mature herring.
We'll be out there later in the week, or the weekend. Letcha know...
Good Luck! Tight Lines..

Part of the problem now Prowler, is that with THAT much fodder around, the black-mouths get sated waaaay fast. Bite's only on for about 1.5 hours twice daily, and then you're competing with a virtual natural feast. Heard one of the lads did quite well yesterday at first slack in Mayne Bay. Also tagged a few over to Rainy. All those kept were literally plugged with mature herring.
Good Luck! Tight Lines..

Good Luck! Tight Lines..

So Nogin, anythng to report from Barkley this weekend? Family comitments kept me off the water all weekend, not to mention we just got our power back after 4 DAYS without any!!!
The lil Honda genny got a workout this week keepin the nintendo goin for the kids, but its time to get out fishin!
Might head out in the am tomorow if the weather cooperates.

Back